?

If people could remember one particular aspect of your work, what would you want it to be?

1. Riveting Plots

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Unforgettable Characters

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. Skilled Composition

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Philosophical/Moral Message

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

If people could remember only one particular aspect of your work, what would you want it to be?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Masked Mole, Apr 2, 2017.

I thought this would be an interesting question to ask everyone. I feel like one's answer says something about him or her, but I don't know what it says.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

My work is character-driven, so that's what I'd go for.

3. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

I said plot because I'm much better at it. I know how to weave in sub-plots very well too, but more importantly its about the depth and details to me. Small things thrown in that make the world believable and interesting. I try to make my characters good too, but if the plot sucks and doesn't seem real then they'll fizzle and die pretty quick. Composition is nice, but it almost doesn't matter, if you have an incredible story to tell, it covers up anything wonky to a degree. I could give two shits about philosophy, but I will add in some moral background elements when possible, but it really just adds up to making the world feel real.

Everything takes a supporting role when it comes to the plot, doesn't matter the genre. Adding in great characters probably takes second place though, but again, if the story is good then your characters will naturally fall into place. You can't have an amazing plot without great characters, but you can have amazing characters with a bad plot.

hedda likes this.
  4. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

That for all the lack of imagination that a galactic empire and rebellion shows as far as setting, it was somehow different and new because of the point of view it was written from.
    That is, the losing side. Tell me when the last time you read a story where there were no 'good guys' and the main character loses. That isn't a horror novel, I might add (no disrespect meant, Simon, but I tend to think of the main character dying as only to be expected there.)

5. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I'm going for skilled composition. In all the books that I like to re-read, the common thread is how memorably the author created the characters and got them to say what they said and do what they did. It's like you just watched a magic trick, and wondered just how the hell they did that.

The characters are unforgettable, surely, but they're that way because they made you laugh or gave you pause to wonder about something, and that's really due to the way the author created the character. To give you just one example, here's Jack Crabb describing buffalo hunting in Little Big Man: "Or, as happened once in a while, for there might be other hunters a-working the far side of the same herd, the stampede would come in your direction and you'd see a remarkable horizon of horns just before you was trampled to death." Priceless! And there's a gem like that on nearly every page.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I went for skilled composition, too, though I think "style" or "voice" fits what I mean better. It's what separates writers more than anything else, I think. Plots, by themselves, tend to be the same from novel to novel, and they bore me pretty quickly. I love creating characters, and almost chose that, but they're still not unique enough. Philosophical/moral message is something I think gets wrapped up in the other choices.

But I love good style. I love prose that sings, prose I want to read aloud again and again. More than anything else, it's the reason I write.

JLT likes this.
  7. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

Philosophical/moral message comes closest. I'm more interested in evoking emotions or thoughts. I suppose the message is something I want to communicate to the reader. Like, "hey, I've been thinking about this really interesting thing and found some more interesting stuff but there's more there, what do you think?" Mostly I think they're questions that I have and then some scenario emerges in which the question can be found and maybe I've found some interesting angles and I would like to share all this with the reader.

8. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

My author photo.

ChaseTheSun and Masked Mole like this.
  9. Barajea

Barajea Banned

Skilled Composition. In my opinion, this aspect makes an author recognizable in every creation.

10. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

Likewise, Skilled Composition is kind of an umbrella.

11. Joe King

Joe King Member

I'll go with unforgettable characters. Based off what I think from other authors it's always the characters who stick with me. If you have forgettable characters I feel it's easy to have a forgettable story.

12. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Me as well. There's so many ways to say things, but (not like in this post) when you chance on a writer who can express their story's moment after moment with un-betterable clarity, with precision, and with fitting emotion—one gets decidedly, all gooey (up there (and maybe down there too)). More than engaged I'd say, compelled to read on. I don't think I can have any higher admiration for anyone or anything more, than a person with such a talent/skill. And at the same time...envy.

13. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Hm...this is a tough one. If "world-building" was a choice I would've gone with that one. In the event I chose philosophical/moral message, not because I think people all need to get whatever message I intend, but sort of as a proxy for "being thought-provoking".

14. hedda

hedda New Member

The plot, definitely. I put a lot of work and thought into my plot and I spend more time mapping it out than the characters.

15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Yeah, this, probably.

I'd hope it'd be the way I describe a peyote high, though.

Seriously, though, unforgettable characters would be my answer of the choices given.

16. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Characters, because that's what makes a good book for me.

KaTrian likes this.
  17. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

My genre is literary fiction (I think. I've only just started my first novel). So I voted skilled composition. I don't want to just write an exciting plot. I want to write an exciting plot with exquisite language and intentional word use, so that the book is memorable as much for the way it is written as it is for what is written. Wish me luck. :bigtongue:

minstrel and KaTrian like this.
  18. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I have inserted pictures from my life throughout my novel. I know I shouldn't but advice=bullshit, so I did anyway. They have nothing to do with the story, but in one, I'm wearing a one piece and jumping in a pool. I hope people remember the fun I was having.

19. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Message. At the end of the day, my favourite books are always the ones that teach me something. I would like to tell something myself. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

KaTrian likes this.
  20. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

... Huh. I would want my WIP to be remembered for the characters, but I would want the sequel to be remembered for the message.

21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The Characters with a minor in the Philosophical.