1. Jack

Jack New Member

If you could go back in time what would you change?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jack, Sep 27, 2009.

If I was able to go back in time and change any event in history, I wouldn't change anything. You have no idea what kind of results changing the event could have on the future.

What are you thoughts or opinions?

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I've often thought about this question...... and I've always thought that I'd like to save people from being assassinated. I actually had a dream recently where I saved John Lennon...... but I have no idea what effect that would have on the future--maybe these people were fated to die early.

3. Jack

Jack New Member

I've recently made a horrible decision and I just wish that I can go back and change it. But really... what's the point in changing the past? How are you suppose to learn from your mistakes?

I always have dreams where something happens... and whithin the next few weeks I have a flashback of that specific/same moment. Somehow my dreams are connected with time. I try to reccord what my dream were... but I oftern forget or afraid that I might alter my future and transform into something completely different (If I'd decided to change it).

Time [Past/Present/Future] in general is an interesting topic to discuss.

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I make a lot of stupid mistakes. I say things without thinking (as all of you are probably well aware of), and I do things and instantly regret them, but I'd only change one thing in my life --I wouldnt be afraid of things turning out differently, because not everyone has to learn every lesson to be learned, and I wish I could have avoided that experience all together.

I'm too embarassed to share it though. :rolleyes: Which I think will be the case for a lot of people.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would prevent the nuclear detonation in the New York City Harbor last September that destroyed the city and contaminated much of the US east coast.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I would bring back Magatherium. Always wanted one o' those.

[​IMG]

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Evolution (or whenever we became self aware), and give some other poor creature brains.

8. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

1. Force Al Davis to draft one of Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson in the 2007 NFL draft instead of the remarkably useless JaMarcus Russell. To be fair, this is also what I wished I could force him to do back then as well.

2. Make sure John Ferguson Junior either stayed out of hockey, or found employment with Montreal.

9. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

Haha.

10. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I'd change anything that made this place a wasteland.

11. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

I'd bring an iPod loaded with physics and philosophy documentaries to the Middle Ages.

Oh, and ensure that I was born into a really rich family because of it ;)

12. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I would kill baby Hitler.

13. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

See, I wouldn't kill him. I would go back and convince his father to let him pursue an education in the arts.

Things like that have always intrigued me. What if Hitler had been allowed to pursue his interest in art? Would the Holocaust still have happened? Would it have been led by someone else? Or would Hitler have done it anyway?

Same with Charles Manson. What if he'd gotten that recording contract? Yeah, he was a troubled guy to begin with, but a lot of musicians are. If he'd broken into the music business, maybe we would be remembering him today as a troubled artist rather than a cult leader and murderer.

14. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Well killing him just seemed like a sure-fire way to make sure that it didn't happen.

15. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

If you go back in time and make a dramatic change like that, it means the world would be vastly different when time finally rolled back into the present. You might not even have been born. And if that were the case, how would you have gone back in time to make that dramatic change?

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Sometimes, the best option is just to leave things how they are. It'd be nice to go back and stop the wars of the past, it'd be nice to go back and stop man from creating nuclear weapons, it'd be nice to go back and stop man from doing many things that have harmed our environment, but honestly, it'd not make any difference. Something else would inevitably happen to cause decay upon the planet. Nothing lasts forever, nothing can, nothing ever will. People just have to accept that and move on.

If I could go back in time I'd like to change the last words I said to my brother the day before he died. I don't know what I'd say, but it'd be something less selfish that is for sure. But it is highly unlikely that I would change what I said to him that day. Why? Because if I went back and changed what I said to him, it is highly possible that I wouldn't be where I am today and I wouldn't want that. We just have to accept life for what it is and how it pans out.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I've always kinda liked the idea of taking some of our (relatively, now) less grand technologies back in time and see what kind of reaction they get - like, Mozart's reaction to synthesised music, or heavy metal... Show Jurassic Park in cinemas 50+ years ago.

Perhaps I'd take some water saving showerheads back to the 80's....

18. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

There are so many things I would like to say I would go back and change. The simple truth is I wouldn't be at this place in my life...I wouldn't know the love of my children. I would have missed out on the graduations, first steps, and first words. I would have never seen the love in their eyes as I held them close, rocking them to sleep. I wouldn't have enjoyed the Bruce Springsteen concert with my oldest son, or watched my youngest play guitar. There would have been no tears over the "Skin Horse" or nose kisses.

I would have missed out on love lost and found. Secret words spoken in private places, the passion of life and the chances it brings. It is a bittersweet journey but one that, in spite of the turmoil...I would do all over again.

No, I wouldn't change anything with my life or the world. It is what it is...and for better or worse, this is my life.

19. Jack

Jack New Member

I would love to see what kind of reactions they would have. It's amazing how
    technology as a whole, has changed quite significantly within the past 50 years. I wonder what we will have in 50 years from now?

Torana:
    "Something else would inevitably happen to cause decay upon the planet. Nothing lasts forever, nothing can, nothing ever will. People just have to accept that and move on."

I agree with you here. By changing an event in the past also changes or alters the outcome of the future and there is nothing that you can do. you'd just have to accept it and move on - It's essentially inevitable.

20. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Textbooks. With an ipod you have to worry about battery life. A simple chemistry textbook should be more than enough to ensure familial riches.

21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'd love to take Teddy Roosevelt and show him the U.S. Navy and go: "See, Mr. President? Your hard work paid off!" The man would probably sob manly tears.

I'd also like to take Fredrick Douglass and MLK Jr. up to the White House and see: "Look! Barack's the president! You did it, sirs! You did it!"

I'd love to go back to when Von Stauffenberg was attempting his "Valkyrie" plot and whisper into his ear: "Shove the second bomb inside. They'll explode and kill Hitler. Trust me. If anyone asks why you're late, use your disability as a half-blind, one-handed soldier. I'm sure even Hitler would understand."

I'd also love to go back to Helen Keller and tell her (through her interpreter) "Hey, equal rights! You did it!" and just hug her for the lulz.

I'd also love to go back to Abe Lincoln and say: "Psst, avoid Ford's Theater. Say you're sick. You're the president, they'll understand."

I'd...you get the drift. :)

22. shawsend

shawsend Active Member

. . . I dream of going back to slay a dragon.

23. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

My lottery numbers. :D

OKAY, OKAY.

I would change... not much really. :confused:

Of all the bad things that have ever happened to me I realise that changing them would change me, and I like me. :)

24. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

I would be inclined to agree

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...probably only the arrival of mankind on the planet...