1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

The Puritans of the 17th century version of English and society?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobby Burrows, Nov 6, 2018.

I know because of Salem, church and state had to be separated and, the Puritans went to/came to a colony called Massachusetts Bay Colony and they lived at the same time and region as the Pilgrims but were not the Pilgrims and the Pilgrims believed in something else, but got blown off course to New England en route to Virginia and so decided to make a government on board the Mayflower which helped the declaration of independence in Philadephia years later.. But the Mayflower pact was drew up for their colony, Plymouth Colony.
    Might have been Lenape but IDK, but, whoever found these Pilgrims who came to America because they got tired of the Netherlands because it wasn't for them, they went to Virginia but ended up in New England and so started Plymouth Colony based on The Mayflower Pact...
    Puritans went straight from London (of all places/hello).. And, some London based company operated or something, the London company sent them there where the King allowed them to be free when it was up to the King what European went where; and so the Lenape I believe found these poor Europeans pretty much starving in the New England winter as they landed near November ill prepared. Squanto taught them how to survive because to them these poor people needed and yeah; A year later, to thank them for saving their butts, the Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving dinner.
    So the Puritans had a theological society, and the Pilgrims had another.

One Puritan got kicked out of Massachusetts because he didn't like the society and, went on to found Rhode Island, and based that on a church separated from state colony.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Bobby Burrows

3. Bobby Burrows

Wait what!?

4. Bobby Burrows

Apparently people in England sounded American before there was an America.

5. Bobby Burrows

Does English colonists in America predate our British snooty posh accent?
    Did people in the 17th century sound American in England?

Did we just get rich from industrialisation and surpassed class and invented our UK accent to show we had money?

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, that's rather a stretch. Both AmE and BrE have evolved greatly since the time of colonization of the Americas. But it does point to the fact that what non-American ears often parse as a language that we over here took in a bizarre direction, is not in fact true. AmE has an ancestry and features that reflect that ancestry. Though you may look askance at our manner of speech, we are your kin as much as any.

And yes, the colonizing of the Americas is much, much older than the onset of RP in the UK. RP came during the industrial revolution, a good 200 years later.

Bobby Burrows likes this.
  7. Bobby Burrows

RP?

That term I think cropped up among linguistics in these videos I shared - I think.
    What is RP?

Is the English choosing to sound upper class to be different, like USA and the South's Southern Accent came from the civil war, is choosing to sound different RP?

8. Wreybies

RP is Received Pronunciation, aka posh.

Certain aspects of the American Southern Accent do trace back to the advent of non-rhotic RP in the UK. But there is also Midatlantic English in the US, which, very much like RP, was not a regional accent, but one taught in upper-class schools and elocution courses. It's the la-di-da accent of Golden Era Hollywood, and also something you heard in upper-crustie Americans who went to our version of "old boy public schools".

Listen to Frasier and Niles Crane speaking. They aren't pretending to be British. That's the American version of RP meant to intone that they went to highly exclusive schools.

Also, William F. Buckley Jr., an American, was renowned (and often lampooned) for the strength of his Midatlantic Accent.

9. Bobby Burrows

You mean colonists sounded like Lloyd Grossman, who sounds like this.
    (Same accent).

But Lloyd Grossman is an American famous in the UK (like Ruby Wax) but unlike Ruby Wax sounds like;

Is the voice actor for that talking Gremlin and Lloyd Grossman just from the same New England town?
    Patois in Jamaica uses Olde English words broken down.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  10. Bobby Burrows

Or did Puritans speak kind've like Shakespearean meets Nicholas Cage?

11. Wreybies

No, poppet. The Midatlantic Accent, like RP, was purely an invention, not a natural evolution of any accent. The difference is that RP stuck in the UK, and the Midatlantic Accent died out pretty much completely in the US. The fact that Frasier and Niles speak that way made them caricatures, anachronistic aberrations of an older time in America, but nowhere near as old as colonial days. The MidAtlantic Accent flourished in the 50's with the advent of the newly affluent middle class and America's love affair with Hollywood, where all the actors were taught to speak that way. But in truth, and in a broader cultural sense, the drive to sound "posh" is not something that American culture appreciates as a positive since it directly invokes the idea of class status.

12. Bobby Burrows

So how do Lloyd Grossman, a New England American man, and that voice actor for the gremlin have the same PR accent?
    I'm thinking dollars to donuts it's gotta be the same town.
    But I've never been to New England or met either.

13. Bobby Burrows

So RP was after Puritan talk?

So words like 'brethren' were used, like Olde English that sounds kind've German?
    Or Probably after that...

Did they all speak Shakespearean not matter what the accent?

14. Wreybies

RP. Received Pronunciation.
    PR. Puerto Rico... where I live. ;)

I'm curious, though, Bobby. You're a Brit. How have you not come across the concept of RP? That's from your side of things, not mine. o_O

15. Bobby Burrows

Typo...

I've got my own multi cultural all forms of English slang going on; Heard people saying 'soz' out loud the other day in two separate incidents in one day... I wanted to weep for English.

Patois from olde English to various forms of English from America to Australia going on; that's probably why RP is just well spoken to me and never took RP as 'a thing'. RP is the monogram of Really Posh (in my book).
    I like it, being in England, I'm lucky, because it's an attractive accent, like So-Cal and Melbourne and others; each to their own, but I like an educated English accent :)

I also love my accent.

This is so much like me and so close to home, down to the word we say 'erm' and the music in the background; Ms. Dynamite - Booo! - I am proud of where I come from, love it my accent.
    The very first word she says... 'Erm'... I could tell she's a local.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  16. Wreybies

Lloyd's accent is the product of having been in the UK for an extended period of time. His accent is not any kind of American accent. Some people are just accent-magnets and pick up the accent of their surroundings without realizing it.

It sometimes happens to me in my job! You know I'm an interpreter, yes? Accents in Spanish can be as strong and distinct as the difference between a Southern Belle from Atlanta Georgia and a Newcastle Geordie down a pub. I have to pay close attention to my own speech when I'm interpreting for, say, an Argentinian with that sh-sh-zh-zh quality they have. My own accent in Spanish sounds nothing like that, but after an hour or two of interpreting one starts to ape the sound of the client, unwittingly, and I have to check myself and get my own accent back in line, else I sound like I'm taking the piss out of the poor Argentinian. o_O

17. Bobby Burrows

That's what I thought, but, no.
    Lloyd Grossman's Accent is American.
    It's from New England.
    and is not a Brirtish accent (trust me, I'm British).

This is what you mistake his New England accent for..

She's from Liverpool and should sound like the guy in the hat.

compared to RP

but instead, that lady went to university and talks with an educated accent.
    Lloyd Grossman sounds like a Talking Gremlin (in all due respect to Lloyd Grossman and The Gremlins) and fresh off the boat from New England sounding American not a UK accent to a UK ear if you listen for it.

Lloyd Grossman's accent isn't because his time in the UK, Lloyd Grossman sounds like that talking Gremlin.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  18. Wreybies

Trust me, I'm American. I've been one for nigh on 50 years. He is American. Have no doubt. But what you hear coming out of his mouth is a mishmash accent. It's been heavily influenced by living in the UK. You will not find a region in the U.S. where anyone speaks and sounds like him. You won't.

When people acquire accents, they don't get a perfect copy. There's no way it can happen. Their own accent is still there, underneath. Like when I went to language school, it was easy for me to note my Russian teachers who had learned English from American teachers, from those who had learned English from British teachers. There were two accents in play in each person. Either Russian/American or Russian/British, but none of them had accents a born and raised American or Brit would call a perfect American or British accent, because there were two filters in play in each case, not one.

That's what's happened with Lloyd. His accent has been markedly affected by his new home in the UK, but don't expect the accent to be remotely perfect.

matwoolf likes this.
  19. Bobby Burrows

Not even New Hampshire or Boston?
    Ivy league prep school type stuff?

20. Bobby Burrows

21. Wreybies

Nope, nope, and nope. New Hampshire and Boston accents are highly distinct. No card-carrying American would ever mistake those accents. And the days of Amero-posh Midatlantic Accent are dead.

Lloyd is from Boston. The accent you hear in that last video IS NOT A BOSTONIAN ACCENT. NOT.

Dude, I'm telling you. He would get his ass kicked all up and down Southie (South Boston).

His accent is deeply, deeply affected by his life in the U.K.

@Homer Potvin, dude, where are you? Come and chime in, bro. I know the area in question is your neck of the woods.

22. Bobby Burrows

With your logic, though not impossible, that Gremlin who can talk would have to be in the UK too?
    But I argue it's a mishmash of upper class New England accent post Puritan since they sound the same, but they're not the same person, but both American and might just be a well educated Boston accent.

(The Gremlin who sounds American, not the British guy).

23. Wreybies

In America, a Bostonian who wanted to shed his accent to sound less regional would, under no circumstances, change his accent to something more akin to a U.K. accent like you hear in Lloyd's speech. Here, the accent to strive for if you want to shed your regional roots is the American Flat Midwestern Accent. That's the accent of news anchors and presenters.

Occam's Razor, bruv. He's been in the U.K. forever. It's affected his accent. Simples.

24. Bobby Burrows

I'm not saying Lloyd Grossman says 'Ka!' and swears like a sailor and is a Masshole or sounds like Goodwill Hunting; I'm saying he's probably like Martha's Vineyard/Nicholas Cage, upper class privileged little rich boy Bostonian accent.

25. Wreybies

And I'm saying that you're making cultural connections that answer to dynamics from your side of the pond, not ours.

Again, Occom's Razor. He's been there forever. It's colored his speech. I listen to him and it's plainly obvious to me.

ETA: As to the gremlin... that's a voice actor doing a goofed voice. That's not representative of how anyone here speaks either. No one. It's just this side of a cartoon voice, so you can't use that as any kind of example. It's fake, and fake on purpose.