Service Offering I'll help you set up your website, analytics, basic design, etc.

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Daniel, Mar 1, 2017.

1. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I suggest calling it 'the thing I've stuck a red ring round in this screenshot'. Looking at your site, I'd call it a header or a menu bar. Evidently they don't.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think I got it. Site Header, apparently.

Yay! Thanks!

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I visit your site and I'm not nice so I know you're lying Matty.

matwoolf likes this.
  4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Did you get rid of it? I didn't see any bars today.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Yup, got it!

Thanks for checking.

6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Okay, so you're asking which should be your website, and which URL should redirect, correct? I think this is an important decision, it'll be a huge pain to change later. Deciding which one is your main site depends largely on your future plans and how you will be using the URLs to promote. It's a decision that's really up to you, there's no right or wrong way, it largely depends on your needs and plans.

I wouldn't expect to see a writer's blog on a publishers website, but that's just me.

Have you considered developing two separate websites? It might be premature to do so, and you can always do so later. What I would do is create the publishers website focusing on the publisher information, books published, about the authors, and so on, one that's basic information and isn't updated frequently. I'd also set up a simple Wordpress site for your author website, and move your blog to a secondary page there. You need to update both but I'd focus on updating the author website and building a brand around your pen name.

For a lot of people one website might be best. It's really hard for me to answer this question because again, it depends on how you'll use it and your future plans. I'd be happy to help you set up either.

One thing to keep in mind is that search engine rankings will take time, and using your pen name as a URL will likely rank you faster and higher for your pen name, and the same goes for the publishing house URL. If you use one domain and redirect to the other, pay attention to where you promote the name that redirects - you'll be able to track visitors that find your site solely through that URL, which is worth noting because the URL that redirects won't have any search engine rankings.

As for the blog look, I would definitely redesign it to match the look of the website. I'm not sure if you're already planning to, but I'd also export it and host it on your own URL. I'm sure it cn be done.

7. Daniel

@BayView having your website links redirect to one website is possible, not too difficult. Still trying to figure it out? What you need is a 301 redirect in your websites .htaccess file. I can help you with this if you want to PM me your URLs/software used, otherwise your web host might be able to help you.

Your website is booklives.com, right? Looks like you've made some progress. I think Wordpress is the best route to go for sure.

I'm decent with Wordpress if you need help.

One thing I would suggest is change your URL structure. Right now they look like this: website.com/?page_id=70 where generally you'd want something like website.com/real-life

8. Daniel

I dig it. Looks pretty good.

I'd make the social icons in the sidebar a little bigger. Other than that, no real feedback from me. Looks good. :cool:

KhalieLa likes this.
  9. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

There is one major issue with your site and that's page speed.
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkhalielawright.com%2F&tab=desktop

You need to optimize your images for web. They're slowing page load times. So visitors may abandon,
    not because they don't like your stuff but because it's frustratingly slow.

Optimizing images for web is simply a matter of outputting at a lower quality (72 dpi, reducing file size).
    If you're not confident in doing that, maybe ask someone who's handy with Photoshop or Lightroom
    (or any other software that gets the job done).

Alternatively, if you're on Wordpress, you could try this compression plugin. Should reduce
    your file sizes down by a considerable amount. The free version should serve your needs.
    I've used it on many websites - works fine.

Other than that, your website looks elegant. Good luck with it all.

KhalieLa likes this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It loaded pretty fast for me, and i'm on a slow connection

11. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

To score zero for both Mobile and Desktop on Google's page speed analyzer
    is a fair indication of bad performance issues.

It's all round good practice to optimize photos/images for web. Gives the
    user a better experience, contributes to a better search ranking, and helps
    to keep files sizes down on the back end.

Worth keeping in mind if the website is an important part of your business
    strategy.

Further reading:
    https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/optimizing-content-efficiency/image-optimization
    https://moz.com/learn/seo/page-speed

12. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Ironically, I've had more "up-time" than google over the past two years.

Actually, it's not. You are falling prey to the fallacy of composition. What is necessary for one website depends on user needs and is not applicable to all websites. I freelance and sell my photographs to magazines. If you compress them, they look like shit. I don't want potential clients looking at my images and saying, "what a grainy, pixelated, piece of shit." Anyone who works in photography knows that bigger files produce higher quality images. To compress them would actually harm my business because the photos would come off as amatureish.

Seeing as Harvard only scored 42/100, and they have a whole tech department to resolve problems, I'm not going to worry about it.

13. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

I won't argue with that. You obviously know what you're doing. Good luck with it all.

14. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I launched this one a month ago, and then took it down three hours later. Currently contains an intro, one article and one photograph. Requires beta readers, and will re-launch given total 100% positive feedback only.

https://pevenseydefender.wordpress.com/

[It was fun to draft, but don't think I could maintain character for a daily post, maybe if I get the sack? Here's to hoping I do get the sack, and on...]

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I gave it a looky.

I found it most entertaining.
    The bit about the Carp was great. :p

16. matwoolf

Hey, my reader!

Well yesterday I got a post from someone saying they liked my stuff...so...So...re-energised...I am going back to the original site 'drysailorboy.wordpress' to tidy it up - for the world [audience], heh.

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. matwoolf

Yeah, the carp's all right, the rest is just odd :)

Cave Troll likes this.