1. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Editor Discussion Not sure where to put this but here we go-looking for an editor

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Lorddread, Apr 1, 2013.

I am looking for someone to edit my stuff for grammar and occasionally sentence structure. I'm good at accepting criticism and will not be precious if told I need to improve something.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all you need do is post an excerpt in the workshop section and members will be glad to chime in with editing suggestions...

if you're too shy to do that, you can send me a sample of what you consider to be the best thing you ever wrote and i'll give you a detailed assessment of the writing quality...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

I'll send you something tomorrow. Posting from ipad.

Thank you

4. pafjlh

pafjlh New Member

Another suggestion, do you have friends and family that you trust to read your stuff. This may sound like a silly suggestion because are they really grammar experts. Well, maybe not, depending on who they are. But they are your target audience, the general public. Lets remember as authors, yes its a good idea to use proper grammar and to make our writing clear, but it also needs to sound natural. We don't want to talk over a readers head, but convey our message to them. Let others read and edit as well as critique your work. I do this all the time, by the time a book is done I have had four of five different edits done. Does this mean its error proof, well maybe not completely. But I have read books that have been published that actually were edited by a professional editor that had grammar errors in them. So I guess no one is perfect when it comes to proof reading something.

5. WordsRefined

WordsRefined New Member

I could also help. See my bio for my website if you'd like a reasonably priced editor. Friends are always good for a first read, but someone who is really familiar with proper sentence structure will make your writing that much better. (Not to mention the fact that if they're not personally known to you, he or she will feel more comfortable making suggestions to fix flow or improve content.)

6. Haliburton

Haliburton New Member

First of all, what do you mean by "stuff"? Do you have a novel to be edited? A short story you want to submit? I found my current editor because she had posted a message on an outdoor message board and she does pretty good work. If I am submitting something for public consumption, no matter how short the piece or how long, she gets it first. Your family, friends etcetra probably don't know any more about composition than you and in most cases probably a whole lot less. I am currently getting my fourth novel edited and I give my editor a hundred a month with the instructions to pace herself so that she does a hundred bucks worth of work every month. If I have an exert on the back cover, she gets it first. If you are sending out a short story, the recipients will edit it to their own liking but if they start off with a polished submission, you are more likely to hear from them again