Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'm ashamed of my posts in the "5.7 billion..." thread.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Some Guy, Jan 28, 2020.

People were trying to help me and I became belligerent. It is a reminder of how not to behave in a forum. It's good and fair the mods stopped me when they did. I'm embarrassed to admit I deserved it. :supercry:

My apologies to @Naomasa298. I'm thankful for your input, and I'm impressed with your persistence in trying.
    Thanks to all of you in the thread for putting up with me and asking that next question or making that next point. It's very helpful if I pay attention to it.

I have no excuses and I hope to improve, going forward.

Kinzvlle, jannert and Naomasa298 like this.
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

No problem @Some Guy. You were defending your ideas, which is fine.

The problem was, you kept revealing information a piece at a time. All we needed was clarity on your setting and the question you were asking.

All you need to keep in mind, there's a time for levity and obliqueness, and there's a time when you need to be clear and concise, and say what you mean. And remember - we don't know what you know. Your head may be bursting with ideas, but you need to get them down on (electronic) paper in an organised way if you want input.

One thing I didn't understand was that you initially seemed reluctant to disclose details of your setting - we had to kind of drag it out of you. Were you concerned that someone might steal your idea? While that's a possibility any time you post details on the forum, I don't think you should be worried about that. Most people here have the integrity not to do that, although of course, you have to be concerned about the wider internet. Personally, I've seen a lot of ideas here where I think "I wish I'd thought of that"... and then move on, because it's not my idea, and I'd feel unfulfilled if I stole it.

Kinzvlle and jannert like this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Thanks for your consideration. Speaking clearly is going to be really hard, but I'll just do it anyway (gohd help me).

That second bit, wow! That can be a powerful effect on people.
    But no, I simply thought we weren't allowed to put the whole thing out there at once. That's my fault, I shouldn't have freaked out when people started asking questions in detail. I'm really unhappy that I misunderstood what was happening from my ineffective communication. No excuses though. I started the mess right from post 1.
    I'm going through everything all the way back to strip out the babble and see if there's anything coherent in my posts...
    My God! I sound deranged! What a nightmare. I'll get back with you in PM. This is the apology thread. :)

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Mod hat on here: Thanks for the explanation and apology. And thanks for the understanding response, Naomasa.

I'm closing the thread now, so the whole thing doesn't take off again. But again, thanks. We're just trying to keep things running as smoothly as we can, and sometimes threads can go ...off track? Anyway, no harm done. Let's all move on from here.
    :)

Some Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.