1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Audio Audio Submissions

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by matwoolf, Sep 8, 2013.

Hi,

Anybody found leads for spoken word? Not even paying markets specifically. I've drawn a blank. I had a soundcloud splurge - and I've listened to, really quite enjoyed, my own stories a dozen times now.

I've found plenty of links to magazine efforts that stumbled and fell after a couple of months - ghost sites, not much else, nothing vibrant. I remember finding one before, ages ago...anyway...from 'hits' on wordpress I'm not even sure that it's something people enjoy that much. Mmmm.

Thanks

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'll put my mind to it. My first thought was 'alternative radio,' but I don't know if radio does this sort of thing much. Or if it would pay. However, worth consideration and a wee look around. My contacts on this side of the Pond regarding radio are few and far between, but I might think of something. Anyway, good luck. Your stuff is fun to listen to, and your personality comes in through the readings. Which is a good thing. I reckon...

3. matwoolf

Hey J,

Well not just that...I can't be the only one sniffing around.

I think I have to go stand in a church hall and read a poem to some Sussex ladies, oh and the mental health fella wearing his anorak; Geoffrey - he'll be my pal in the regional writers' group. We'll be dashing and stuff, spiralling down our cravat years up the seafront.

'Two sugars?'

'Sweet enough,'

'Haw haw haw.'

Then I'll read a poem in a bigger hall, after about five years get listed in some website entertainment section and round about sixty years old a slim volume appears, self-published on the kindle $99.99. Meanwhile Geoffrey's bloody world famous with his suicide song. Hmmm, okay that's the second novel, a murder mystery.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i just sold a short story to a new audio-site that takes a wide range of work, including non-fiction... if you email me, i'll put you in touch with the owner, as he's still accepting submissions...

i was notified yesterday that a reader had been assigned and it will be recorded next week... will post a link when it's up...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

5. matwoolf

Oh, that's very kind of you Mammamia. I'll send a pretty email. Okay, just make sure you don't give it out to the rest of this lot ;)

6. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

What kind of stories do you write? There's Escape Pod, Podcastle and PseudoPod for genre stuff. I think they even pay.

7. matwoolf

Hi Nige,

Some historical, literary, some SF, life and 'comedy.'

Point aside, I'm finding, more and more, that oration's absolutely the best way to tighten up a draft.

I have a good voice, and pace - for narration. The writing is perhaps too esoteric for my own good, sometimes. With the learning though, seems I'm taking 12 months to polish a clutch of these 2000 word writes to clarity, beginning to end. Maybe I should stick to the poems? There's a story on the website, which was my first spoken attempt. I've hidden the others. There's two or three writing errors in the telling, but is still pretty.

Thanks

Mat

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i never give out personal info to anyone without permission, mat...