1. writingforummonkey

writingforummonkey Member

Posting and Submitting to competition

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by writingforummonkey, Apr 2, 2011.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some info about this predicament. I don't know if this has been answered somewhere else, but I searched for a good bit and couldn't find it. Can I post a short story, or part of a short story, I intend to submit to a writing competition on this site or will posting it here make that piece no longer eligible for competitions. I understand that it might depend on the particular competition, but I was curious if anyone had knowledge of a general rule of thumb. I checked the rules of one competition and they are not particularly specific. They state that one cannot submit a story if it has been published or produced. That to me does not seem to imply forum posting, however, it is unclear. Thank You for any input, and good luck to all in your writing endeavors.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It will be spelled out in the ruiles of the competition if it is a restriction.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and some may consider posting a work on writing sites as being 'published'...

so, your options are:

1. don't post more than brief excerpt of anything you will ever enter in a comp or submit for publication...

2. ask each comp/publisher if it's ok to post more than that...

4. writingforummonkey

writingforummonkey Member

Thanks for your help. I'm probably not ready to be entering any competitions anyway, but anything I'm committed to submitting I'll make sure to send the staff an email to check the rules. And thank you both for your hard work with this site. It really means a lot.