1. saldanamoreno

saldanamoreno New Member

So...What's next?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by saldanamoreno, Oct 3, 2020.

I made the decision to get back into writing last year. No, not just to get back into it but actually become a professional writer, tired of my career in the medical field I wanted a change.

First step; write.

I got that down so far, been writing short stories, editing a few things. It's not much but it''s a start.

Now what?

What's next? I'm trying to work out a plan. Deciding between teaching myself the craft, or going back to school (again).

Has anybody here made a career from writing? Any advice?

Has anybody had to change careers midlife? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts as well.

2. ISalem

ISalem Member

I am not in a writing career. I do a free writing where I write on my own at my own pace. For me, it's my favorite hobby. I write because I love writing. I write becuae I am a creative writer. Since I found out that I love writing and I am a great writer, I never stopped writing. I think writing career could restrict a writer it terms of what to write and how to write it, which is not my favorite.

For you, what next now?
    The first step is to write, and write more, as you mentioned you got that.
    Joing a writing forum where to be surrounded by other writers is a good step to keep you well motivated for writing.
    Another further step to take is receiving reviews and getting fedback on your writing from other writers is a well-taking step to take you to the next level.
    Also, reading for creative writers opens up the mind on new writing styles and different structures of writing which is a good step to keep you up.

3. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    I don't mean to dissuade you but writing as a career isn't something that you just do like being a nurse or something. There is really a lot of luck and chance involved with the incessant grind of honing your ability. I can't imagine someone quitting their job to write shorts in their basement. Surely that isn't what you have done.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    marshipan and saldanamoreno like this.
  4. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

I've published traditionally, I've done four books so far, and it's going pretty well, but I don't think I'm going to be making career money for years.

and I'm one of the lucky ones.

saldanamoreno and Homer Potvin like this.
  5. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

like the majority of working people I know.

Are you financially independent? Can you survive with no income? Are your retirement years already secure?

To give up IT and start my ESL, writing and musical careers I had to wait for retirement. And glad I did. I couldn't put food on the table from any or all of my new activities.

I guess it could be said that if you are hungry you might become a better writer. But the numbers tell us you are more likely to starve.

But all the best if you jump in at the deep end :agreed:

saldanamoreno likes this.