1. Kaya S

Kaya S New Member

I'm having some issues...

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Kaya S, Dec 31, 2016.

Hey all,

I've been working on this set of three novels for the past 8 years or so (it's sort of been an on again, off again project for me) and I'm having some issues in terms of decision making and was hoping to find some advice.

I'm not wild about my main character for the first book, but she's an easier, more likable character than my favorite character. How do you deal with something like that? Do you just write the second book first and then go back to the first book?

How have you handled a situation where you like your secondary character more than your main character?

2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Hello Kaya,

I can only offer you the advice I myself use. I had a similar problem where I had two characters, but I ended up likely one of my support characters (Bartlett) better. Rather than scrap the whole story, I decided to write a whole new story about my support character and have her act as the lead. I do plan on returning to the story I originally thought of, but for now, I am working on Bartlett's story.

Now I want to get to the nitty, gritty about how this can be a good thing.

1. If you are not passionate about your current MC and their story, the story in all likely hood will turn out to be a dud.

2. When I return to the original story I thought of, because I've written a prequel (in a sense) I have a much richer world and backstory for those familiar with my work.

I hope my advice helps you make your decision. I wish you the best of luck.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

If it's been eight year and you haven't actual written any of the books, maybe none of them are really what you want to be writing.

4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I tweaked the character who didn't measure up until he did ;)

Kaya S likes this.
  5. Kaya S

Kaya S New Member

That makes a lot of sense. I'm just a little concerned because my secondary character (Kat) is mildly abrasive, that it would be harder to introduce the series. Maybe by developing Kat as my main character, it would allow me to have a better understanding for how my MC (Audrey) in the first story interacts with her beau, and therefore help me understand what they need in order to be together.

Thanks for the advice!

6. Kaya S

Kaya S New Member

I think you may be right. I really want to be writing about another character but I'm afraid that people won't love her as much as I do. On that thought, maybe I should be writing for myself and not for what I think other people would want to read.

Rosacrvx likes this.