1. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Help with a title of a character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Albirich, Nov 22, 2013.

Okay, the character is a legend, a very important legend. He brought a kingdom that was broken and destroyed to greatness once more. Everything is winter themed, just so you know.

He is often referred to "The Winter King of the Past" but I need another title, something to perhaps hint to his high level of brilliance and tactical prowess perhaps, or anything that tells you that he raised a kingdom from the ashes.

I've tried to think myself, but I thought I might as well ask you guys. I'll let you know if anything pops in my mind.

2. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I, personally, like just 'Father'. Or 'Father of (the kingdom's name)'. It shows respect, reverence, that he's wise, and that he's led them through some dire circumstances.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It depends on the language (vocabulary) you are using in the story. I need an example of the style to go on, era, setting, that kind of thing. Names of leaders are typically setting related.

4. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I have to agree with @GingerCoffee. It depends on a lot of things that we just don't know. Really, you are best suited to answer this question because you know the story and the world better than anyone of us. You know the people, their culture, and like Ging. said their language, era, and so on. More detail would be nice. What type of people are they? What did he do for them?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

It is a medieval story with a fantasy-ish world. The Winter King of the Past's name is Godric, I have yet to get a surname that I'm pleased with.

He took over the kingdom after his father. At that point the kingdom had almost been wiped out, literally. The other kingdom accepted their sue for peace, but still they were under heavy debts and Godric's father could not keep the peace, civil wars broke out and it seemed as if all was lost. Then Godric took over and revived the kingdom, he ended the civil war and managed to keep the other kingdom at their toes, after fifteen years of rule, fixing broken cities and scorched grounds, he besieged the other kingdom to take back some lands that previously were theirs. He won so many battles that the other kingdom had no other choice than to let him take back a great deal of land. At some point during this he also was a disciple of a mysterious order, but that is as much as I'm telling.

I don't know what more to say, its a fantasy world that is a bit more grotesque and real. Names are usually english medieval-ish. I have created some new names, a lot having "Y" in them. (As far as I've noticed)

I won't tell much about the people or previous events as that leads in to my main novel. This is sort of a 900 year old later novel, it won't go in to spoilers so my main novel gets spoiled, but yeah u get my drift.

Also, I have tried and still trying to think of a clever title or something, and as I said I'll update the thread.

6. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

Nordic names are always good for "winter-y" places. As for titles I would suggest something like Tessa, something paternal, such as "Winter Patriarch". I don't know really, sometimes it takes forever for me to think of names, sometimes they come like second nature.

Andrae Smith and TessaT like this.
  7. Carnivorous

Carnivorous New Member

Hm. How about Winter's Revenant or The Snow Phoenix? In fact, forget that last one, I'm having that... ;)

8. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Do you mean like Godric the...... or a title that would be shifted to another person on his death ie Primarch or similar? or like emperor Godric, not saying use emperor.

9. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Was thinking along winter theme of "Frost Bearer"