1. BrendaR

BrendaR New Member

I'm New with a Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrendaR, Mar 19, 2018.

Hi All

I just signed up and am posting this question to get some ideas. Hopefully, this is the right place to post.

I love to write, but I have problems with writer's block. I find that when I write a lot, I do better as the creative juices start flowing. However, I inevitably hit a brick wall because it seems like every story I write sounds the same. It's not the same words, characters, or plot, but it just "sounds" the same to me.

I don't like how that sounds and don't know how to break out of it. It seems if I could do something completely different, it would spur my creative impulses, instead of squishing them.

Is this a somewhat common issue for newbie writers? Are there techniques to get past it?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Hi, New With A Question! I'm Dad :)
    I would recommend Writers Digest's "Tips for Finding Your Own Writing Style." Writers generally have a recognizable style, so is it possible that what your specific writing style is like right now is more of a problem for you than the fact that you have one?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. BrendaR

BrendaR New Member

Wow. That makes sense! I'll go study that article.

Many, many thanks.

4. BrendaR

BrendaR New Member

5. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

If you're starting all these stories and not finishing them, is it possible you let the writers block get the best of you because you haven't found a story or genre even that you're really into?
    If all your stories are the same genre, maybe you should go out of your comfort zone a little. Try a new one.
    If you really like all of these stories and want to get past their "brick walls," try sharing your ideas with someone. Some new insight might just be enough to help you overcome writers block.

6. BrendaR

BrendaR New Member

No, I actually do finish a lot of them, except the last ones in each writing stint where I hit the brick wall.

Well....great minds think alike because that's exactly what I came up with. Maybe if I change to something completely different, it will break me out of it. If it works, I'll use that to stay fresh. It's already in the plan!!

Okay, I can maybe try that when I get up and writing.

I do think posting here has really helped. I have to get back to it and see how it works. I'll be back. ;-)

Thanks very much folks!

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    "I'm glad it had a happy ending." :)

8. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Do you mean they sound the same in the terms of the voice and style you're using? If so, then that's not necessarily a bad thing- it's just the voice you use. All of my stories, regardless of genre or "seriousness" tend to 'sound' the same, because I have a voice pretty well developed for myself.

Unless you want to break out into using another kind of voice, which in that case I suppose you'd have to just read a lot of work in different styles and develop something from there.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

For real? How sweet. We like your dad around here @BrendaR. He's great. :)