I'm not sure about writing reviews

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by waitingforzion, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That is a safe approach, but you will learn more by stepping outside your comfort zone. Be bold. Suggest something you are not sure about. Research it if you can, but don't be afraid to be "wrong". Without a doubt, if what you suggest turns out to be less than stellar advice, someone will post an opposing opinion - respectfully, of course.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes teach far better than parroting what you already know.

2. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Me too mate, I'm don't feel that I'm qualified enough to offer proper reviews like you see everyone doing, I can give people my opinions on their pieces and pose questions, you know... good, bad... that kind of thing, but according to the mods that's not a constructive review and will not be accepted.

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

That's not true Hawky. Here are two examples:

This is an example of a review that would not cut it. Notice how little it offers the author, Nothing of use is told here. My mother would have told me this regardless of what I had written.

Notice how this reviewer gave specific examples of what they liked/disliked. Note how they offered a suggestion or two. This is all the MODs (and community) want out of reviewers, 5 mins of your time to tell what does/doesn't work. Anyone can offer that much.

4. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Agreed, well that helped a ton, thanks Kyle!

5. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

I feel that way on occasion as a teacher. I think to myself--these are growing students, and here I am picking apart their work. However, I also remind myself that despite the subjectivity, they do grow from feedback. It helps when I just use a general set of criteria such as commenting on setting, characterization, plot as opposed to just picking apart at the grammar. I try to keep the overall story in mind and worry about the grammatical stuff later.

6. Pea

Pea super pea!

Practice, practice. I'm a terrible reviewer too, but you just have to keep trying. People won't get offended by your critique as long as you give your ideas on how to fix something, instead of just saying "this sucks" etc. Feedback, even bad feedback is welcomed by most writers I find. So don't worry about it, and enjoy picking through others' writing. :)

7. yachtparty

yachtparty New Member

Maybe being new to this website I shouldn't be saying this, but I don't agree with your post. People need positive feedback as well. When I read a piece, I am going to tell the writer what I think, pointing out specific examples of what I do and/or don't like about their work. If I have nothing bad to say, my view on something that someone else might consider a weak point, is still valid as one person's opinion, and should not be disregarded.

Though negative feedback is often the most helpful, the best of us need confirmation in our writing from time to time.

Your post is reminiscent of Debbie's view on relationships in the movie Knocked Up, though I am aware your not the only one that has it.

8. Orangetomato

Orangetomato New Member

I'm so glad to find this thread! I'm a new reviewer, and since joining have drafted & deleted a couple critiques without posting them, feeling inadequate compared to the other more experienced reviewers.

I posted my first earlier and worried it was too weak, but I really liked the story and felt like I had to comment, so clicked "submit." Phew! Thanks for all the positive comments encouraging new members to submit.

9. Pea

Pea super pea!

The first ones are the hardest. Good to have you here. :)

10. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I'll admit, I'm not the world's best reviewer - I'm a grammar and punctuation nazi, so I have no problem making those kinds of corrections. But as far as the prose itself... I either know if the writing "flows" and leaves me wanting more, or that I'm not interested. It's hard for me to put into words exactly what does or doesn't work for me. I'm working on trying to become a better reviewer...