1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

I'm not sure what to do with this joke...

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by naruzeldamaster, Sep 1, 2022.

On one hand, it's a funny idea, but on the other hand, I'm struggling to find a sequence of words that spell out the acronym I want to use.

Part of the joke is that nobody ever says the acronym itself (either due to not realizing things, or they realized it and are either shamed/amused by it so they keep it a secret.) but the other half of the joke is that the organization is dedicated to observing/researching/eliminating eldritch entities, who most often take the form of (varying types of) sexy anime ladies.

I want to call the organization SEXTAPE (Yes, that's the joke, and that's why it's dumb lol) but I'm struggling to find a sequence of words that makes sense and describes the organization. ._.

So I'm torn on keeping the joke or just tossing it.

2. Alcove Audio

Alcove Audio Contributor Contributor

Well, you're going to have to get creative.

Did you ever see the Disney show "Phineas and Ferb?" Once you're in on the jokes it's pretty funny, even for adults. (My daughter loved that show!) The evil organization was called L.O.V.E.M.U.F.F.I.N. - The League Of Villainous Evildoers Maniacally United For Frightening Investments in Naughtiness.

BTW, is your project comedy? Then you should go joke crazy. Otherwise, you may want to rethink it.

3. naruzeldamaster

Phineas and Ferb is probably where the acronym idea came from. I watched it again about a year ago and even as an adult some of the jokes went over my head. (though I do love the unapologetic caramel dansen joke, that one had me rolling once I figured out what it was)
    Yeah, it's comedy, one of the ways they find out if a person is an eldritch entity in disguise or not is seeing if they can pronounce Worcestershire correctly, the joke being that it's an eldritch loan word, that most humans can't pronounce properly. The eldritch entities are peeved that humans figured it out, so they have some funny comments about it.
    It's a story for a video game idea too, so a lot of the jokes in it are related to that. Like characters occasionally groaning about the developers not programming this or that thing in, or locking certain features behind story progress etc.
    The world the story takes place in is kind of a 'digital' situation, and the main character has the ability to connect to the livestream (the direct source of code) and use the ability to twitch (yes I'm serious) to alter reality. They even are bonded to a benevolent guardian spirit called a 'player' which makes them a candidate to be a 'waifu'.

4. Alcove Audio

Alcove Audio Contributor Contributor

Then I guess it's time to pull out the thesaurus. It's the "X" that's going to cause you trouble, I think. Maybe SEKSTAPE?

Remember "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."? It was a 1960s TV spy show with the US and the Soviets working together behind the scenes. The United Network Command for Law and Enforcement. Their adversary was T.H.R.U.S.H. - the Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity.

5. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I tell you my friends, we will succeed where the 9 iterations before us failed. I welcome you all to the 10th initiative of the Special Enforcers To Admonish Polymorphous Eldritch. SE10TAPE for short. What's that? From the back? Yes. Not a bad idea. Maybe we should use Roman Numerals.

Something like that? I've no idea what an Eldritch is. I could google but that would eliminate so many possibilities.

6. Quote

Quote Member

Currently Reading::
    Welcoming Recommendations
    S.E.X.T.A.P.E.

Subduing Existential Xeno Threats Against People Everywhere

After reading your description, this popped into my head almost immediately. You may not want to use this exactly, but I think it's a good place to start.

7. naruzeldamaster

That actually sounds pretty good, mind if I steal it from you? I might use it as a placeholder name until I come up with my own.
    As for what an Eldritch entity is, they are godlike beings (they're typically beyond gods, typically they are to gods what we are to ants) who are always asleep and end the universe when they wake. You know, like Cthulhu and The King in Yellow etc them lot
    In my story they're defined as extraterrestrial beings who are a few levels higher than gods (which also exist, but it's marvel style so everyone's religion is a thing) the gods just don't know how to 'deal' with them so they empower humans to deal with em since you know, we're problem solvers by nature.

8. Quote

Quote Member

Currently Reading::
    Welcoming Recommendations
    I'm familiar with the definition. Eldritch horror is one of my favorite genres. And feel free to use the acronym. You could swap existential with eldritch or enigmatic. I'm not sure that I could come up with anything better for X, but the prefix of xeno- fits since xenophobia is such a common theme found in eldritch stories. I might even suggest considering swapping out subduing for smothering. It feels like more of a fit for a shadowy organization trying to smother information about an eldritch topic. But that's all best determined by you.

Based on the 'sexy anime lady' trope you're using, this probably isn't up my alley. But I love the mix of eldritch horror and comedy and anime has its own brand of humor that I think would fit in well, so there's definitely an audience out there for it. Good luck!

9. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

Just the aliens and 65 million Britons.

10. naruzeldamaster

That might be a funny excuse to make them all/most of them have a British accent...lol They would know they were Eldritch beings because they were impersonating Britonians and pronounced that word right.

They aren't all ladies, just the majority of them (the best way to market an anime game is with cute waifus these days, lost count of the number of indie metroidvanias that use that as a tactic lol) it might depend on your sense of humor if you like it or not.
    My sense of humor is very dry/literal (hence the sextape joke) and I'm not good at subtle stuff like Phineas and Ferb uses. I think the most subtle joke I've used is in a current project, one of the characters is an 8' tall woman named Fräulein, she's outwardly the most gentle person you'd ever meet, but she's the most powerful member of the group. It's a quite literal take on the 'gentle giant' trope (I find the trope funnier when it's taken literally), her name and demeanor implies that she's dainty/harmless, but god forbid you make her angry.
    I'm also a big fan of the marvel character deadpool, so there will be some of that kind of nonsense in it as well.
    I think the reasoning for the SEXTAPE acronym, it's just...perfect, humans found out that Eldritch gods existed and that even the male Eldritch are lewd as fuck, so like, what better organization to track them and potentially hunt them down than something they won't take seriously because of the name.
    I've got like 5 other projects on my plate at the moment so I won't be writing on it for a hot minute. But thanks for helping me sort out the acronym for the organization.

Quote likes this.