1. marople

marople New Member

I'm so bad at this pls send help.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marople, Mar 17, 2017.

Hi, I’m Mara, 23. For someone who is capable of forming whole sentences with words, I am exceptionally bad at writing about myself. Good thing this just might be the only time I’ll have to do so. I am less eloquent than I want to come off as. My first language is German and I write in both English and German. I have tons of books written inside my head and really want to put them on (digital) paper. I am also looking for “pen-pal-esque” friends who share some interests maybe (or none, that’s fine, we can’t all agree on everything that would be boring).

My interests include but are not exclusively: Harry Potter (I know, lame, but true), dogs, photography, drawing/illustrating, technology, journalism, reading (no way.), puzzles, gin, coffee, sleeping.

This is starting to sound like a really boring resume so I’ll stop now. Anyway: Hi

Fernando.C and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Greetings, salutations, welcome sirette. :superhello:

Granted most would not recommend on putting favorite drinks on a resume, but here
    it is ok. :p

As for writing, you need to do a lot of it.
    Get lots of critiques/criticisms, and advice
    on your works as you go.

Good luck with your works and C-ya around the forum.:supersmile:
    BatmanQuitProcrastination.jpg

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Here, it's practically required...:meh:

Speaking of, happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm hoping to knock back a decent stout or two (or three, or four...) myself later.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  4. marople

marople New Member

That would depend on the job you apply for I guess haha personally I aim for the jobs where it's vital that they know I drink gin.

Happy St. Paddys :) We are going pub crawling later! Have fun and may the luck of the Irish be with you.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Rhythm of War - Brando Sando & Rebel's Creed - Daniel B Greene
    Willkommen! Yeah, ok... that's about as far as my pityful German will get me, unless you want to hear about how der himmel ist blau etc...

As far as writing advice goes, like @Cave Troll said, just jump right in. I find it really fun to start working with flash fiction because you can really get straight into the meat of the story. I think of an opening line that I like and let it develop from there

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

From one gin lover to another; Welcome!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Hello! Welcome to the madhouse! :D
    As you can see we are an odd but friendly bunch. Observing the wroter in it's natural habitat will give you a full sense of it's mental illness!
    Here is your handy member's guide;
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-member-quick-start-guide.132102/
    And there's always the informatiob section up above in the header which has faqs and rules.
    I wish you luck on your journey trhough this strange land, fellow traveller! Oscar out!:brb:

marople likes this.
  8. marople

marople New Member

Well, that wasn't too bad haha Cheers back to Oxford :)

Lovely, thanks :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

@marople,

Yay a fellow Harry Potter fan! I love meeting Potterheads at any given opportunity. Anyway, welcome to the forum mate, you're gonna love it here :)

Also what's your Hogwarts house if I may ask? I'm a Hufflepuff.

11. marople

marople New Member

Oh well, that's the question, isn't it? Since you outed yourself as a Potterhead I think I can give you the long answer. I always considered myself a Slytherin, not because of the evil prejudices but because of the sneaky underdog vibes and "loyal to each other but wary of others" ways. But pottermore always put me into Gryffindor which is shameful, to say the least. :D But then I recently redid the test and it put me into Hufflepuff, which, to be honest, is something I can live with. They are loyal as well and hard-working, peaceful cuties, but you still shouldn't mess with one of theirs! I can identify with that. :D

Fernando.C likes this.
  12. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

When you think about it though, there are certain similarities between Gryffindors and Slytherins, as unbelievable as that sounds. Sure one's more sneaky and cunning and the other is mostly known for bravery and hot-headedness, but I think there's an element of ambition to both of them imo, and...I don't know, it's hard to explain, I just feel like that of the 4 house, these two, despite their bitter rivalry, have actually more common than their willing to admit.

But yeah Hufflepuffs are awesome, people tend to underestimate us to their inevitable regret. We're tougher than we let on :bigtongue: