1. LibbiShannon

LibbiShannon New Member

Does this name suit this character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by LibbiShannon, Jun 14, 2013.

Sierra Lillian Pierce, age 16 born 1996

She is a profession netball in England. She has a bubbly personality and is fun to be around, she is funny and always happy. Till her netball manager forces her into more netball and sents her to Australia to play for a Australian team. She starts to have no social life and fails her classes in school. Which she just isn't happy or joyful anymore but feels dead.

2. MrsT88

MrsT88 Member

I would say so yes, I could imagine a bubbly teenage netball player having that name :)

3. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Is she named after the Sierra Mountains in Nevada? If so, the reasons her parents named her Sierra may give you additional back ground story. Maybe her folks are Native American anyway I digress.

You say she is a pro netballer. How could she be forced into more netball as it would already be more than full time. To be pro in any sport, especially so young at 16 takes considerable dedication, often up to 100 hours per week which would leave no time for anything really and does not lend itself to a social life. Trust me I'm a soccer coach, I see kids at that age who want to be pro and their whole life revolves around a ball. Their early pro career is even harder! Kids who turn pro at 16 (the legal age under UEFA and FIFA) often 'school' in the evenings by private tutor and is very limited. This hard regime often leads to depression among kids who can't keep up and less than 2% of pro kids are still pro at 28.

I was just wondering however if netball is professional and did a quick google - apparently the ANZ is only semi-pro so maybe you should do some very basic research before continuing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZ_Championship

good luck with your story

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Any name will suit any character, within reason (i.e. don't call a rich white girl One-Who-Gazes-at-Clouds unless there's some mitigating reason for it, like her parents being big Native America enthusiasts). A name you pick at random will 'fit' the same as a name you spend hours agonising over; whatever name you choose will be the only name your readers have ever known the character by, and they'll just accept it, even if it is a bit off-the-wall. Have you ever looked at a Reinhart and gone 'you should've been a Kevin,' or to a Mary-Ann 'wow you seemed like a Louise from a distance?' No? Your readers are just the same. They won't care what a character's name is: it's the character itself that counts.

5. New Konoiche

New Konoiche Member

I know someone named Sarah Pierce (close, but not quite the same thing) and I would say she is pretty similar to your description. I think Sierra is a more interesting name though, with some extra flair. To me, it seems fitting for a sixteen year old to have a slightly more unique name (given our current baby-naming trends), at least if this is taking place in modern day. Sounds like a good story. I would definitely be interested in seeing where it goes.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It's fine, but when I read your story, in my head she's going to be Sierra Leone. The country. Can't help it. Saw it immediately and now cannot unsee it. :(

7. writerdude11

writerdude11 New Member

Just my opinion but I would get rid of the "Sierra" part and replace it with "Rosalie". It sounded more happy and upbeat than Sierra since that's what you said you were looking for and just as an added bonus, the name Rosalie has a happy meaning to it, here it is.

Rosalie \r(o)-sa-lie\ as a girl's name is pronounced ROH-za-lee. It is of French origin. Possibly "rose garden".
    Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Rosalie#7C3O1U54WXLEHyQm.99

It's up to you though :) just giving my suggestion.