Tags:
  1. Siberian

Siberian Member

Immortal and Respawns mashup

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Siberian, Jul 24, 2018.

Hey so first post, I just kinda want to get an idea of what your guys' opinions are in regards to my character's immortality situation (and yes, it's a situation). I should also note my WIP is a fantasy/comedy/adventure mashup. So, here's what I have so far about her:

• Basically she is immortal but she "dies" it's just not permanent. Give her like a couple minutes or so and she's back in action, no harm done. The inspiration for this is sort of related to video games where when you die you respawn. Same goes for her; she dies and then respawns without any damage from the cause of her death. I'm also thinking, for comedic purposes, that when she respawns she has a new body and the old dead one is left laying around. Dark humor you could say. Now, here's where my questions and your opinion comes into place...

Obviously being immortal would take a toll on your mental stability (She's the only one who is immortal) and then being able to die and come back just adds to the package. So, the realistic way to deal with this situation is she goes crazy, her memory/personality has to be rewritten (or reset) every century or so, maybe less, until I can figure out how to kill her. I definitely need to flesh out the backstory behind her immortality, but what are your thoughts, ideas, opinions, on what you would do and how you would handle this character? She takes everything like a champ, super funny, sarcastic, the overall comedic drive of the story if that helps any.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

If it's comedy, I would say you don't have to deal with the potential trauma at all. But if you want to, I think her becoming traumatized over it and some powers that be wiping her memory is a good way to handle it.

I have a character with a cyborg brain that constantly uploads his thoughts and memories to a personal server, and when he gets killed a new clone of himself gets thawed out ans implanted with a new brain seeded with those uploads. For him, this works pretty well until his biological brain becomes too confused and stressed by not being able to reconcile all these memories that don't line up, and develops what's effectively a form of dementia. He has to be restored to the first backup, from before he ever died, so essentially 'wiped' much like your character.

Another character has the inherent biological ability to heal from any injury, up to and including death. Since it's something his body is doing naturally, it also has a built in defense sustes against the trauma: he completely forgets said trauma. When the memory is briefly rerurret to him, it absolutely wrecks him, but otherwise, he's fine.

That sort of detail is the kind of thing to think about as you're fleshing out her backstory. Even if it's a comedy running on video game logic, there needs to be an internal sense, rules that it follows. If this isn't a natural ability of hers, then who did it and why, and what safeguards would they have the knowledge and ability and resources to put into the system? Would it be easier for them to wipe her completely every few dearhs, or recall her after each one to do some reparative tinkering?

Have you seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier? IIRC the soldier in question is wiped after each job, but he ends up retaining some memories anyway. Could be an interesting angle. In that movie the character is also treated pretty harshly, whereas my cyborg mad scientist and his best friend are in control of the program, so while quality of life throughout the process isn't considered for Bucky, it's a high priority for my dude -- that's something to take into account too.

3. Siberian

Siberian Member

Yes, I've thought about the limitations and rules to her immortality and I agree there need to be some in place so that she's not overpowered or unrealistic. The story is going to be comedic but there is going to be degrees of realism and seriousness to make it something of actual quality and not just passive entertainment. I hadn't thought of the idea of needing to recheck her mental health after every couple of deaths or make changes. I really like that idea because my leading theory for her is that her immortality stems from external forces that would need to keep an eye on her so she doesn't lose herself and go crazy repeatedly. My original idea was just to have the forces (haven't decided if it's going to be a character/(s) or organization) reset her when she shows signs of breaking but I like your idea much better of having check ups on her periodically after a certain number of deaths.

I have seen Winter Soldier, its been a while, but I do remember getting the idea of not being in control from the film, which I am going to apply to my character. I'm thinking once she lost her mind the first time the external force takes over resetting her mind, after that she has no awareness of her sense of identity being replaced and so, in a sense, she becomes manipulated. Great feedback, I appreciate it!