1. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Split Narrative

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by HorusEye, Oct 14, 2010.

Hey,

So, I have a narrative which is split up by pictures, or rather, the narrative works as an overlay to the images. This is work for a graphic novel. Now, I've seen in some existing publications that when a narrative is broken up, it's affixed with ellipsis, like this:

"Some stuff happens and a sentence describes it..."

"... Then some more, related stuff happens."

While they are independent and full sentences, they're still related -- similar to how two sentences would be related within one paragraph of a novel.

But are these ellipsis correct? Are they mandatory? To me it sorta feels like broken sentences because of the ellipsis.

Cheers.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

If that's how you think they look, then don't use them. Get the message across that you want to get across. I just went and grabbed a couple of comic books/graphic novels me or my brother have lying around (yay for being at home with my books-for-fun collection instead of dry academic texts!) and didn't see any narrative boxes linked with ellipsis in my quick flicking-through adventure.

3. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Yeah, it stood out when I noticed it used, and I don't recall noticing it before. So I'm guessing it's a stylistic choice. Thanks.