Improving myself as a writer

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Nervous1st, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Just finish the story and then tweak it. It's important to be able to finish it.

2. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I agree that you should finish this book. You've appeared to have put a great deal of time and heart into it - just finish it and see where it goes.

I have written three (close to four) novels, and I have seen my writing improve over time. I think that is natural. We all improve with time, and all improve with practise. That doesn't mean that what you wrote previously isn't good though!

I think you should finish and just go through the book once you're finished to polish and enhance anything you're not happy with.

Good luck :)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

... it's usually after several years of pretty constant writing... the rare 'greats' may manage it somewhat sooner, or even possess that quality from the get-go...

...not unless you want to... i'd say go ahead and finish the one you started, if only for the practice... when you get to the end, you can either work on making the writing quality/style consistent as you revise/edit, or put it aside till later and start a new one, having fairly well established your latest 'voice' by then...

4. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

You're in college, so you're familiar with the concept of investing for a future career. Right now, you're investing money and time in your classes. In those classes, you take time to do projects that will not pay off, but are for practice. Likewise, college clubs and internships within your chosen industry. Hopefully you do all because you find them interesting, but you also know that they are practice to help you get better.

So, think of the story you are working on right now are "Novel Writing 101". It may take till "Novel Writing 501" before you actually get published, but in order to get good enough to take 501, you need to complete 101, 201 etc. That, or take the equivalent "Short Story 101 & 102" etc, or other form of writing.

-Frank

5. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

As some of you may know, I've been working on a book for a few years now (*cough* okay maybe more than just a few *cough*). Though I am writing chronologically now, I had written a few select scenes/chapters a while ago that occurred later and now I have reached some of those scenes. I reread what I wrote and thought it was really good writing, especially compared to what I've been producing recently (the past few weeks).

I recognize that I am currently putting together a first draft and it won't be picture perfect by a long shot. I've been telling myself this as I've been chugging along and pushing through it. But then I remember how inspired I was when I was writing that particular "good" scene and can't help compare that to where I am now. Uninspired, but still chugging along and putting words down, even if I think it's all garbage the next day.

So I can't help but question if my current method of "forced" writing (term used lightly as it's not that I don't enjoy writing or see it as a chore, but just uninspired overall and struggling) is really healthy or helping me improve as a writer. Does it get any easier? Am I suffering from writer's block? If so, will chugging along and writing crap really make me get over it? Or am I actually prolonging the symptoms?

6. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

In my experience, "forcing" myself to write actually worsens this problem. When I'm not feeling the inspiration, the things I produce are inevitably lackluster compared to my good days, and knowing that makes it harder to get back into the groove. The only thing that helps me is to take a break. Go a week or more without giving my writing a hint of a thought. When I come back to it, I often find myself looking at the story in a different light. Sure, my writing may be a bit rusty after going a while without practice, but there's a difference between rusty and uninspired.

Of course, if I do that, I pretty much have to throw out the last thing I've been working on and re-evaluate my plans for the part of the story I got stuck on. Coming back and working on exactly the same thing shepherds me back into the same line of thinking.

Others will say the opposite, that you must trudge through the mire with frightening determination. They speak for themselves, as I do. We can't give you a solution that will work for you. You'll just have to look at your options and try the ones you feel are best until you find it. If persistence isn't working, then it's time to begin.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

My dull spots often coincide with my life being too busy or being a bit depressed or something. Usually once I have a clear mind and clear timetable, I can get back to writing just as merrily as ever. Think if anything in your life is blocking you.

Since I know that I usually just push through, and I re-write later. Though, I found that though I felt I was doing it with parts of the novel I recently finished, when I re-read it none of the parts felt particularly forced and in the context of the whole story I actually thought they were okay. Finishing a thing helps an awful lot and all the bits sort of lock into place for me.

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Since this is a first draft, try shutting off the editor in you. Ït's difficult to be creative when you're constantly critizing what you do. Make yourself realize that nothing but getting the words down matters now. Just focus on making a good story. The good writing bit comes after. How about you don't even look back unless you absolutely have to? I always write a detailed plot outline before I write, but I change it to keep up with the story. It makes it easier for me to know where I am without looking through what I wrote, because if I do I find a lot of flaws and instinctively want to fix them, and then I never get to the actual writing.

9. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

Consider the following situation -

One ordinary day, you're randomly browsing through the files on your computer and you come across an old short story or piece of work that you remember being extremely proud of once upon a time. Looking back on it now, you realize that the quality of the piece is nothing compared to what you're capable of now!

This happens quite a lot for me, and it always leaves me feeling rather negatively about my story-writing capabilities because, if the trend continues, I know that no matter what I come up with now, I'll almost certainly look back on it with disdain in a couple of years' time.

Has this thought occurred to anyone else here? Or am I just being pessimistic?....

10. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

You're being pessimistic. When you look back it then, you will know how to improve it.

11. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

First - Continuous writing promotes exponential growth. As you write you gain experience and become more efficient. Over time, as you look back at old writing it will become less and less laborious to improve it.

Second - Why do you think editors exist?

Third - If you love something, set it free.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I look back at stories from the past and think some of it is crap. When you see that crap you assume the stuff you are writing now is utter crap. You become bias. Therefore, you need someone who is impartial. Basically an editor.

12. walshy12238

walshy12238 New Member

This is a wise man/woman right here.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I came across a story I had written when I was seven the other day, and it was complete trash (Even though I was seven). I don't really think of it in that way though, I think of it more as my history, my roots. It's what made me into what I am and what I can do today. I'm actually glad that I found it.

The plot was actually kind of interesting, to be honest, even if three quarters of the story was fight scenes.

13. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone starts from somewhere. The best careers are the ones that keep you evolving and learning.

14. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I have been writing for quite sometime and my boyfriend gave me the unspeakable news. And I quote "No offense, you have amazing ideas but your writing sounds like a sixth grader."

In support of my writing I had difficulties in the past with writing because the special needs classes I was in failed to sit with me and teach me how to write better or even help me improve (instead they focused on the students that did not want to do the work).

How can I improve on my writing so I can evolve. I am not looking for an instant coffee resolution if you catch my drift.

15. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Like everyone else, you write, get feedback, make adjustments, then write some more. To some degree you have to put your ego aside during the process or grow a very thick skin. It can be mentally exhausting but that's true anytime you try and perfect any skill beyond just satisfactory.

16. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Two things. Read and study how other authors write. How they construct scenes and dialogue, word choice and structure. Select books that you really enjoy so that it's interesting to go over them again and again.

Another method would be to dictate your story orally/record it. Then transcribe what you spoke. If you have difficulty writing, this may assist you in the story/writing being more complex.

Another thing to consider is if your writing style is "6th grade" then maybe you're meant to be a YA author.

17. live2write

live2write Senior Member

My boyfriend suggested that I read more and more. That way it subliminally gets drilled into my head. I learned through college and art school on criticism and I get frustrated when my idea does not translate to paper. I have a hard time writing how I feel unless I am in that mood.

18. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Join "writingforums.org" and ask a lot of questions. Then write write write. Then ask more questions. Then write write write. It looks like you've already done step one. So I would suggest going full force on step two.

19. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I must have missed you as I was writing my post below.
    What is interested is I have an app on my iphone called Dragon Dictation. When I walk to work I will speak my ideas or speak the structure of my story. I find it somewhat helpful if I need to remember an idea or a section for storyboarding. Lol it also keeps the people away because they think I am koo koo.

You also do have a point with YA.

20. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Does your writing seem at a sixth grade level to you? Can you tell the difference in the writing between books you read and your writing? Are you satisfied with your writing?

21. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I believe that my writing is at a preliminary level where I do need to go back and refine my language and my structure.

Sometimes I look at it and can see what he is talking about. If I could I would post a sample of it in the writing critiques, but that would have to wait for the future.

22. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

You've been here longer the 14 days, you've got more then 20 posts. Whats stopping you?

23. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Not to gear off topic but I still cannot post and I believe it is due to the complications that the forum has been having.
    (Never mind it works. I haven't been here in a week)

Then again I am happy that it happened because now I can slow down and take my time with writing.

So far I posted a blog of a "sketch" of a story but so far I do not have a piece that is ready to be presented.
    I end up collecting thumb drives, each one containing word documents of stories and pieces. My notepad in my iphone is filled with bits and pieces that I am either going to use or put them in the scrap pile.

24. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

The Writing Workshop has been working the last few days so if you've reviewed to piece of work you should be able to post. When was the last time you tried. The reason I'm curious is your posts are not written at a sixth grade level, so I'm interested in seeing your work.

25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree that your posts sound like your writing ability is just fine. I wonder if perhaps you work too hard when you're writing for an audience and that somehow makes the quality go down? Or if you make some fundamental change when you write fiction?

I'd suggest putting up a piece of fiction sooner rather than later, rather than trying to make it perfect, so that you can get some early feedback.