1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Art Imitating Life

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Masked Mole, May 13, 2015.

Have you ever written something (without the intention of it being close to you), then realized how much it applied to your life? I had a truly mind-bending experience with a recent novella of mine that revealed a bunch of emotions I still needed to work through. I had no goal of making it comparable to my life, but the main character ended up being eerily similar to me in many respects.

StevieT likes this.
  2. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Never by accident. Only when I've wanted to expose elements of my personality. I think it would creep me out.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yes. Everything I wrote has a secret piece of me in it. I never noticed it so much in my novels. But I see it popping up in some of my short stories. It was kinda surprising because it wasn't intentional, it had to be subconscious.

4. StevieT

StevieT New Member

I've had it when writing songs many times. Although I also managed to write things that are completely different from my own life.

It's well known that creating art does something with the brain and that certain centers get activated more than usual, also the ones that are closely related to emotions. So I believe it's not strange that themes in our own lives come alive in our art, maybe in a different form but for us we recognize these themes. Interesting topic and going to follow it to read other answers to this :)

Masked Mole likes this.
  5. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I didn't even think about how songs could apply, but now I see it.
    Thanks, man. I try to come up with good discussions. I'm also intrigued to hear other peoples' stories.

StevieT likes this.