Tags:
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

In between the words

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Sep 29, 2009.

Sometimes when I am reading, I let my eyes blur to rest them for a moment. In that blurred vision, the spaces in between the words become more pronounced, sometimes falling into arrangements that suggest shapes and figures. I see all different kinds of things in these shapes made by the spaces. People. Animals. All kinds of things.

Anyone else? :rolleyes:

2. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Not so much with words, but definitely with leaves blowing on large trees blowing in the wind, or knots on wooden boards. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I look at the negative space in the real world, especially if I'm composing a photograph or planning a painting. I don't do it with the whitespace in books, though.

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I do that with carpets all the time, and my floor at night. My room's so messy that all sorts of monsters start popping out once the lights go down.

5. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

I would spend at least twenty minutes doing that on purpose on my carpet! :D

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

If I did that, Wrey, I would never see anything else again. hahaha

Seriously, I do know what you mean, though. I used to do that all the time when I was working on my last manuscript. I think the weirdest thing I ever saw was a horrible face. I turned off the computer and went to bed. :)

7. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

I imagine most folks do something analogous to what you're suggesting. Might not be the white space between words, but it could be the shape of the letters or the sound of the language or (in my case) I sometimes read a story from the end toward the beginning, maybe after I've read it from beginning to end (or not). I don't necessarily "see" things that way (meaning visual), but doing that with words and stories is part of what prompts my imagination to take hold, or (in the case of reading a story from end to beginning) gives me a different understanding of what the writer was actually doing (I think, because I'm processing the story in a different way). I think everyone has unique ways of "seeing" beyond what their eyes permit them to actually see. So, if you're trying to be sure you're not just crazy, you can either accept that you're not, or that everyone else probably is, too. Your call.