1. RHFame

RHFame New Member

In need of some advice.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by RHFame, Oct 26, 2019.

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice, I'm very new literally just signed up.
    I was searching for a name for a character in one of my books that's how I came across this sight.

Basically I'm looking for a male character name something that means lonely or mischievous, right now his name is Jabez, but the more I write the more I just don't feel this character fits this name.
    His personality is obviously mischievous, also he displays a self-centered nature, he's a whimsical liar and has a hot temper, he enjoys playing cruel tricks on people. His whole identity was made to make him dangerous and unpredictable.

I have spent the better part of two hours looking for a decent name, I guess I'm really picky, I really was his name to ring and when my characters say it I want them to be like 'oh it's that guy!' without having to explain that's how they feel. I want his name to sound intense and awesome.

He's my main character so it would be great if I could give him a stand out kind of name, I appreciate the help! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

jannert likes this.
  2. jim onion

jim onion New Member

This isn't in the right sub-forum.

But anyway, welcome!

When you can't find the name directly, try "subliminal" naming.

Take Draco Malfoy for instance.

The name Draco Malfoy just makes me think of some sort of little dastardly, troublesome kid. My theory? Draco is the Latin word for "dragon", and also has its association with "draconian". Malfoy is less obvious (and I'm quite certain entirely made-up), but the secret may be in "mal", in which the Latin root means "bad" or "evil".

Or how about "Smaug". Quite a fitting name, even in retrospect. This has to do more with the sound of the word. It just doesn't sound pleasant, or even feel pleasant to say. Tolkien was a philologist, and I suspect that this may have guided him in his expert crafting of names.

Sometimes the problem is that we're trying to be too direct. Move "one Kevin Bacon" away from what you're aiming for. In other words, if you can't put your finger on it, draw a circle around it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Oz_brown, RHFame and N.Scott like this.
  3. RHFame

RHFame New Member

Oh darn, well this is close, I think, the first time I tried this I was writing a blog, where would be the best place to go for future use.

WoW this is solid advice thank you, just breaking it down for me like this makes it simpler to grasp what I'm looking for.
    I was expecting the internet to just hand me a good name then I would be on my way, I this it gives me ideas of where to go and how to find the best names.

Gosh I just can't get over how much you've helped here, not only does it give me a better understanding how to find a name for this character but this will help with multiple characters to come.
    I fell like I need to keep thanking you, so thank you again =)

jim onion likes this.
  4. jim onion

jim onion New Member

No problem! Glad I could help. :)

An admin will soon move this to Character Development, I think.

Yeah, unfortunately it's just one of those things. Some people are better at coming up with names than others. Sometimes the names come easy and sometimes they don't.

I would give suggestions, but there's a lot that goes into a name. It has to "sit right" within the context of your story, which includes the setting. I don't have any of that information so ultimately I'll have to leave that up to you. In fantasy or sci-fi you can get away with names that are much more unorthodox as opposed to, I don't know, a romance novel set today in rural Texas.

Here's another tip: look at Darth Sidious. Big bad guy in Star Wars. His name is simply the word "insidious" without "in". What does it rhyme with? Hideous.

And finally remember to not overthink it. Indiana Jones, for me, really has no connection whatsoever to some witty, handsome, tough, adventuresome, treasure-hunting trouble-maker. The name is iconic because it has its own mysterious ring to it, and most definitely because of the character embodying the name *made* it iconic.

So maybe just try going for a name with a "ring" to it, and don't worry about it actually meaning anything. And don't be afraid of irony.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. RHFame

RHFame New Member

To be honest I was expecting to be given a list of names and I would see about picking one, but the idea of running into multiple names ran in my head and I was worried it would end up not being helpful.

I much prefer the solution you gave me, giving me the ability to work search the name I want while not being handed a name that maybe wont fit right down the road because it's not mine, you know.

Damn, you're right, it's cute little things like names that make the show of the movie, the character has to be seen not only in your head but also your readers, if you have an image that they don't see then the character falls apart.
    I feel the name has a large part to play in that roll, the character is talked about or talked to with that name, if you can't say the name without seeing the face what's the point.

Thank you, I think I a lot of pressure on myself, it's nice to be reminded to take it easy, and not to worry about it, i'm sure sooner or later the name will come to me, especially now that I have some awesome tips!

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

You're giving yourself an impossible task there. No single name is gonna be "visualised" or felt the same way by any two people. I hate the name Joshua. Most people love that name. I loved the name Heinrich for a long time lol. Most people hate that name. It also depends on which culture you're talking about. In East Asian you get people called Florence and Albert and other names that are considered very old and out of fashion in the West.

A name is just a name. If the reader doesn't "see" the character, it wouldn't be because of the name. It's because your writing skills are lacking and you aren't showing the reader actions and choices that determine the character. You think the name Voldemort meant anything before Harry Potter? You really think the name Harry Potter is particularly impressive? Potter is a very common British surname and c'mon, Potter - does that really say wizard to you? You create that impression as the writer.

You have to feel the name fits and that will affect how you write your character. That is indeed important. But as for how readers in general will perceive your character's name? So long as you don't choose something like Hitler or Darth, honestly it's entirely open to interpretation. Names are important, but only to a point, and they certainly do not determine how a reader sees them to the extent you believe.

jim onion and jannert like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

sorted

mod hat off when i am stuck for a name i usually look at the baby naming websites for the culture i am writing about - you can find thousands of names at the click of a mouse.

that said mckk is right that any name can symbolise anything - it depends how you write it and the name doesnt have to follow character anyway - vis for example hagrids dogs in harry potter , or twinkletoes the gangland torturer in craig russel's lennox books

Mckk likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I agree with all the other advice you've received so far. No, it doesn't really matter what you name your character, it's how you write that character that determines how people will see him. However, how YOU feel about the name does matter. You're the one who has to live with him for quite a long time.

If you have been using Jabez, but are coming to dislike it ...why not turn to your other characters for help? See if you can visualise them calling him something else? (Even a nickname would be a start ...or what they might call him behind his back.) What would their favourite or most hated names be? If you can do this, you won't end up naming him something that doesn't sound right within the story setting you've got.

Mckk likes this.
  9. RHFame

RHFame New Member

Solid point, I can't expect someone to be able to see an unrecognized fictional character just by saying a name, instead of putting so much thought on the name perhaps I would be better to develop the character to the point where a name will fit, or come to me or something like that.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I created a story before worrying too much on what their names are, before I have much of a story, I appreciate the help and advice you gave me thank you very much.

Mckk likes this.
  10. RHFame

RHFame New Member

That's a really good site and I do usually go there but for this particular name I wasn't satisfied with the results, but for most of the time I'm very pro baby finder websites.
    Yes, Mckk made some really good point's, all of you on here have been so much help, not just with this one name but in making my writing better and less of a stressful thing, because writing should never be stressful in my opinion.
    Thanks again for your help.

11. RHFame

RHFame New Member

Oh I like that! Yes, I can always see how the other characters are with him, how they talk about him, how they see him, think of him, nick names are a great way to personalizes them and humanize them, I like that. I should spend more time developing him and his relationships with the other character's before spending all this time stressing about what one characters name should be.

jannert likes this.
  12. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    In the Bible jackals are used as a literary device to illustrate desolation, loneliness, and abandonment. Also in the the jungle book one of the characters is a jackal named is Tabaqui. A character who is very mischievous and at times mad.

If the name "Jackal" is too generic you could also look up various names that mean Jackal. For instance the Greek for jackal is tsakali.

Just a suggestion.

13. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

You could try going with rhymes. So your guys a crook, but you can't really give him that name because it would be too silly / dramatically licensed. So why not go for Rook? Maybe add a French sounding "de" And your guy with the name you don't like becomes Jabez De Rook. Sounds a little more "thiefy" without actually naming him as one.

Cheers, Greg.