1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

In-progress writing portfolio

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by deadrats, Aug 23, 2017.

I'm a full time writer. Occasionally, I sell something. So, of course, I have to have some shorter things I can sell (or pathetically try to) while working on my novel. It still feels weird to say I'm writing a novel. But that's a different story for a different thread. Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you juggle writing projects. And how do you do it? I worked for years as a freelance journalist and was always juggling news stories and deadlines. But this is different with more creative projects, I think. I've got my novel and a few short stories at various stages all needing some more work before they're ready for submissions and two essays in the works. My essays seem to sell much easier than anything else I write these days. And let's not forget the screenplay... Wait, I totally forgot about my unfinished screenplay until just now (LOL). I think I've traded in the screenplay for a tv series. I'm just trying to write the pilot. And maybe if I don't feel like getting out of bed I will spend the day writing sestinas. I have a hard time working on the same thing for more than three or four days until I feel like need a break from it. And there is always something else I can turn to. Usually, though, I work on more than one thing in the same day. I spent the morning writing my novel. This evening I will go over a short story. That kind of thing. I can't afford to put all my eggs in one basket. How many things are you working on? I just don't want to feel like I'm crazy for having multiple projects. Progress does get made and things do get finished. This isn't a problem of starting a million things and finishing nothing. I think the kind of writer I want to be writes all these things, maybe. What does your in-progress writing portfolio look like?

VynniL likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm not a full time writer, but I am working on three novels concurrently and a couple of short stories, as well as reports etc for my day job.

deadrats likes this.
  3. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

My profession is in electronics, not writing. This may seem a bit odd, but I consider everything I've written to be a work in progress. I still make edits and changes to stories written years ago. I'm creating new short stories all the time, sometimes two a week. I have several screenplays I revisit from time to time. I've not had any of my stories published. I suppose publishing would finalize a story, but maybe not.

deadrats likes this.
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I realized earlier this year, possibly in association with my work burnout, that I am suddenly not suited for multiple simultaneous projects.

So, Shuteye, Coriolis Effect, Tulips and Butter, that idea for a nonfiction book, that other idea for a nonfiction book and associated idea to start a new blog and run it seriously, all plant breeding plans, and the perfume swap, are all on indefinite hold. So is sewing and beading and the usual medium-elaborate winter vegetable garden--fall and winter gardening will be about the Perennial Blitz (mass planting and/or soil prep for blueberries, raspberries, huckleberries, strawberries, hip-heavy rugosa roses, Jerusalem artichokes, asparagus, and some cutting flowers), which is intended to make the garden produce food with less involvement from me.

The Highly Flavored Novel is the current project. I have found that time spent in the garden tends to produce solutions for plot problems, so the Highly Flavored Novel and the Perennial Blitz will hopefully be compatible.

deadrats likes this.
  5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I feel less crazy now. :)