Tags:
  1. ohmyrichard

ohmyrichard Active Member

what is hands-on gallery?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ohmyrichard, Nov 22, 2008.

Hi,everyone. Please do me a favour and tell me what hands-on gallery is. Does it refer to the hands-on area of a gallery or a series of intelligent mobile phones produced by Nokia, or Apple or any other electronic companies? I googled it and consulted the WordReference dictionary but I found no satisfactory results. No one's told me its exact definition. Please help me out.

Thanks.

Richard

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sounds reasonable. I think the meaning i sdefined by the context. It's not a single term, to the best of my knowledge.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

where/how did you see that term used?

there are too many possibilities to list them all... the most obvious one is in a museum, or art gallery, where the artworks are meant to be touched and manipulated in some way, vs the usual museum/gallery where the rule is, 'look, don't touch!'... science and technology museums usually have such areas...

4. ohmyrichard

This is a question raised by my student's sister. I asked this student to ask her about its context and then tell me about it. But so far I have received a reply from this student. Yesterday evening, I googled it again and at long last found that my preliminary judgement is reasonable. It means either a gallery where we can feel the exhibits, mostly replicas, by hand, or a series of mobile phones or ebook readers produced by those companies. And usually a gallery has only a hands-on area, where we can touch those artifacts or even try them to see how they really work.
    When I get the context of the phrase, I will come here again and tell about it. Thanks for your explanation.
    Richard

5. ohmyrichard

Just now my student said that the first meaning---an art gallery where we can touch those exhibits ---applies to what his sister read. Thanks again, mammamaia.
    Richard