In what genre(s) do you write? A SURVEY!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BayView, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
?

In which genres do you write?

1. Crime & Thriller

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Adventure

24 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Fantasy

44 vote(s)
    55.0%
  4. Historic

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Romance

13 vote(s)
    16.3%
  6. Science Fiction

41 vote(s)
    51.3%
  7. Literary

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. Horror

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. Erotica

10 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Other

17 vote(s)
    21.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ugly henry

ugly henry Member

About 90% horror. I also checked science fiction because some of my writing is in that genre but also a good portion is about the afterlife and time travel. I would think they're closer to science fiction than fantasy, at least the way I approach them.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure what "literary" refers to. My writing now is poetry, song lyrics, memoir, and humor, and I can't see those fitting into any of the other categories listed. That's why I picked "other."

3. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Another thing:

This raises the question of what "creative writing" is. All writing is creative, in the sense that the writer is putting words together in a form that nobody else has done before. Of course, technical writing is probably at the left of that spectrum, since it its purpose is to transmit information, and nothing else. John Muir moved that needle a bit to the right when he wrote How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, because he inserted wry comments that made you laugh and made you think, and transmitted much of his own value system to the work. That stamp of personality makes it, in my mind, the first step towards truly creative writing.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have writing that is intended to elicit emotions or insights, which is the domain of the best poetry. The writers lead you into a sort of internal world, holding up mirrors that allow you to see yourself, or to see others in a different light.

And some writers, in science fiction and fantasy, give the readers worlds to live in that are not the ones they live in. They sometimes create these worlds from whole cloth.

But I stress that it's a continuum. A few writers can combine these genres, mixing and matching to their taste.

Some Guy likes this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Non-fiction. I read a lot of books where people just catch a ship or went to work in 1938. Nothing happens - principle applied to my creative endeavours.

Shenanigator and Some Guy like this.
  5. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Mostly Gothic horror; sometimes with a little sci-fi and hstorical fusion.

Just a cookiemunster likes this.