Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

... That's supposed to say "Saturday" at the top :rofl:

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Er... I just realized that the whole 'multi-POV' thing in my fantasy wasn't working out. :/ Writing with just Mishu Jerni's POV is making it a hell of a lot more fun.

3. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Why are "Private parts" called so if everyone has them? I mean, yes, something such as your home can be private because we don't know what's in there. You could have a sex dungeon in your basement or something. Most likely you'll just have a lot of dust and some old stuff you don't use, but that's beside the point. A V an a D are something each of us has, so what makes them "private?" I suppose a woman's V would be private to Men and the D would be private to women but...eh.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Here's another random thought: Since the planet is a sphere, how do we know which way is actually up? Say I was on the equator and threw a ball "up." That would technically be thrown "sideways" as the equator is on the "side" of earth, right? o_O

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Now i'm wondering TDS would be better in multi POV ... its first person but i could change characters with chapters or something .... damn you brain stop thinking and just write the damn thing

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think @Moon has taken a young couple hostage and has them
    chained to the Murphy bed in his apartment. :p

I think they are called that because you aren't suppose to share them
    with the public. Otherwise we would call them public parts. :D

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

nope because up is away from the surface you are on, and down is towards it - sideways would therefore be latteral movement parallel to the ground. It does however mean that when you throw the ball straight sideways its actually going in a curve

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, this is new. :p I can't stop writing and I'm not even thinking of playing videogames.

Simpson17866 and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Any horror writers out there in need of ideas could do worse than clicking on Gmail's "load basic HTML" option. One of the things it does is lump all your inboxes--all the spam and all the listservs and notifications that normally don't land in your primary inbox--into one. In that moment you can see all the dread occult forces that normally remain hidden from our world, a challenge to your very sanity...it's really Lovecraftian.

10. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

So after two interviews in three days, I've been called saying they are sending me an offer letter.

I might be a Copy Editor at an international law firm and needing to move to LA ASAP.

They quite frankly called me two hours after today's interview asking me my absolutely soonest start date, than called back 5 minutes later asking if I could start sooner. Maybe immediately. Could I perhaps work from home prior to moving to the area?

So I've been refreshing my email since I got home, looking for the official offer.

I'm terrified.

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You're landing on your feet, hitting the ground running, and a whole ton of other cliches, but when things pick up, they always seem to move too fast. In two months you'll be sitting in a cafe telling us how LA rocks.

Congratulations!

David Lee, Oscar Leigh and Sclavus like this.
  12. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

Tonight I got out and socialized. With strangers. I told them about myself and asked about them.

Then I came home and didn't have a panic attack.

13. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

:supershock:

Sclavus likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Go you, both of you!

These should be in the happy thread!

15. Cave Troll

And for those of us with no life. :supergrin:

matwoolf likes this.
  16. big soft moose

you realise that's why you have no life, right ? ;)

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. Cave Troll

Not exactly. There is a lack of interesting and open minded people here. (Also there are no social venues outside of churches).:p
    AntiIdiot.jpg

flawed personality and matwoolf like this.
  18. NoGoodNobu

I didn't put it in the Happy Thread because my emotional response is a rollercoaster of positive & negative rather rapidly.

1. Wow. This is a legit job with a legit career path, and I feel underqualified and immensely grateful for this opportunity.

2. This job is so easy, it feels unreal. Or maybe like a job that will not have a sustainable salary. What if I can't actually afford to live in LA, which I need to do to have this job? I have two different student loans to pay each month. And a car payment. Insurance. Gas. Groceries. Auto maintenance. I only afforded all this because I live in Southern Orange County and because my rent is free. Where is that darn offer letter to tell me what the salary is!?

3. I am amused that I typed "than" instead of "then" in my earlier post. My job as a Copy Editor is to correct these sorts of errors (& more) and yet here I am, flagrantly disregarding every writing rule & convention. Not because I don't know better—just because I'm not bothering to proofread my own posts & make the appropriate edits. This bodes so well.

4. They want me immediately. I need a professional wardrobe. I need to find a place to live. I need to move. I need to leave my current job. I need to do all these things ASAP.

5. How will my parents keep the business going when I work full time (plus overtime) to run everything for them? They can't afford to hire & train a new worker, especially if the sale of the property really goes through in the next two months. And then how are they going to shut down the business & move in the 30 day window without me? Who is going to help give care to my obaachan?

Edit: 6. I'm not going to be able to use my signature sarcasm, snark, or sass. It's the only thing I have going for me (being a playfully loveable McSassyPants) and here I'd be working at a prestigious international firm who are all Chinese and whose clientele is Chinese; so if my lifetime experience with Japanese friends & family are anything to go off of, sarcasm is a no-go—and the job already precludes pants, Scottish sassy or not.

Et cetera. . .

So yeah. I'm a convoluted mess of emotions currently. Thus I was torn between posting in the Happiness thread or the Not Happy thread, and decided In Which They Said What? would suffice. . . probably.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Simpson17866 likes this.
  19. Simpson17866

If it helps, my understanding is that everybody proofreads other people's work better than they proofread they're own. You should be OK ;)

And if not, you just caught something to look for next time :)

... I'm really not sure how much I can help with the rest :( Good luck?

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  20. NoGoodNobu

Also, I was all ready to go and start a new story project.

I was just about to create my first progress journal and make myself accountable, and I was working so hard.

And of course a new career path just drops in my lap and demands immediate attention.

(I know this is nothing to actually complain about, but gosh dangit, I was so ready to get back to writing and actually committing to and finishing a story for the first time in a long time.)

21. BogLady

BogLady Active Member

I am hearing the sounds of someone who is not so sure they want this new opportunity.
    Please think through this very well, so you do not regret it down the road. Is this just a job or is it a true career opportunity?

What do your parents say? They should be able to figure things out shouldn't they? I am sure they do not want to hold you back.

Congratulations and good luck, I am sure it will all work out.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  22. big soft moose

Heres a thing ... if your life is so shit, whats keeping you where you are ? Why not move to somewhere more open minded and social ... you're a carpet fitter arent you ? People need carpets everywhere pretty much

23. Cave Troll

No money to leave. :(

24. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Was this intentional, or intensely ironic?

SethLoki, NoGoodNobu and Simpson17866 like this.
  25. Simpson17866

That was a joke. Don't Explain The Joke :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.