In Which They Said What?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Sclavus

Sclavus Member

I hate writing my MC's thoughts about the woman he's going to fall in love with. He comes across as a jealous, possessive misogynist in his head, though his actions toward her are in keeping with how a 35-year old man should ideally act toward a woman. But all the inward pining and senseless jealousy he has no right to partake in keeps coming up.

I could play it off as him learning not to do that crap and get his head screwed on straight over the course of the book, but I'm pretty sure the scene I just wrote makes him a misogynistic asshole everyone's going to hate. I kind of hate him right now and want him to stick to what he's good at: mopping floors and killing zombies.

izzybot likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Aaah, thanks, ChickenFreak. :) That was basically how I worldbuilded, just created facts as I needed them. Heck, Kenthew randomly dropped a fact to Mishu how there’s a horrid punishment that always await any Devonian who doesn’t attend to a ceremony that celebrates their leader’s coronation.

I like pantsing, almost to its logical extreme; it’s how I write.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I just opened an email from Chanel, and was looking at it in confusion, thinking, "Why does the picture show clothes? And where's the bottle?"

Oh, yeah. Chanel does things other than perfume.

4. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I used to let hair stylists do whatever they wanted to my hair, which meant I had varying levels & styles of short cuts (pixie, asymmetrical, bob, etc.). I don't know why, but every hairdresser has an irresistible urge to lop off some or most of my hair—even when I started telling them I wanted to grow it out.

Anyway, around third year of high school, my then stylist decided to put a patch of blue in my hair. I magically did not get in trouble with the private Christian school I was attending, and the stylist started doing other things with colour.

Eventually, it was no different than a haircut. If I got bored one day or if I was unsatisified with myself, a little change was all it took to lift my spirits. And I knew I had to do all the crazy colours now while I was still young & had no children to embarrass or a career that forbade it.

Now I'll probably just keep to various natural shades, as I assume the law firm does not consider purple as abiding by the professional dress code (more's the pity).

I actually love my natural hair colour. It's a pretty shade of dark/medium brown with a reddish-orange undertone.

I just crave change, and dye is an easy fix.

IMG_0202.JPG IMG_3480.JPG IMG_4706.JPG IMG_4714.JPG

OurJud likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Unworthy in the eyes of the LORD Contributor

When I was in high school and wearing my hair in a mohawk, dyeing it, wearing eyeliner and black lipstick and all that, people asked me why I was doing it.

I told them it was the right thing to do at the time, and I'd look a fool if I did it later on. Now I wear tweed jackets, waistcoats, and brogued shoes that cost way too much, and I have no regrets about either of those style choices. The years I wish I could do over are the chinos and polo shirt because it was a safe look ones.

Sclavus, NoGoodNobu and izzybot like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

Yeah I had ideas about being a rock god (if only I'd had the talent to match) so it was all tie die shirts, originals, bike jackets and bandanas I remember my then girl friends mother washed my 501 originals once :eek: she just didn't get why i was like Noooooooo

Of course i looked utterly ridiculous looking back, but at the time we thought we were cool as fuck - Translucent aardvark strutting around Uni like we were the bastard sons on Bon jovi and Bruce Springsteen we had the guitars, we had the girls, we had the world in our hands, CBS didn't know what they were missing.. if only (if only we'd had the ability to play anything original that didn't sound like the middle bit of sunshine of your love )

I couda been someone I coulda been a contender... I coulda been a bar tender more likely...

ETA (we had one original song i found the lyrics of the other day called "we won't bow down" which include the immortal words

"they wanna make us a tiger economy
    to compete in this day and age
    I don't know 'bout you, fucker
    but I won' live inside their cage"

Born in the USA, it wasn't

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  7. izzybot

izzybot Oportet Vivere Contributor

A friend of mine reminded me of the existence of Akinator, so I played a couple rounds and successfully stumped it with one of my favorite comic characters. I'm more proud of myself than I should be :D

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Well, that's 15 minutes of my life that Obi-Wan Kenobi, Deadpool, Sam Spade, Indiana Jones and I are never going to get back.

9. izzybot

You and all of them are welcome :D You gotta think of the obscure shit. It's fun getting wrong guesses - on the way to (not getting) Cameron Chase, it guessed Black Canary and ... 'your oc'.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  10. Simpson17866

I have defeated the genie by picking Dexter.

From Star Wars Episode II :twisted:

11. izzybot

... Consider me also defeated. I have no idea who that is even after googling him.

12. Simpson17866

Jettster? Obi-Wan's friend? The fry cook?

13. NoGoodNobu

Dudes of the site:

If you were sent a little something nice by post, what would you like to receive?

A guy I've chatted with for couple months went to Hawaii & sent me omiyage of specialty candies.

We're not anything—we haven't even met in person—but I feel obligated to send him something back. I mean, it feels like bad form to get a gift & not return the favour.

But I'm not sure what to send him. Like what sort of things generally are fun or enjoyable to receive in the mail?

I've sent girls flowers & chocolates & things, but there doesn't seem to be a culturally approved go-to gift for boys.

14. izzybot

His last name, 'Obi-Wan's friend', and 'fry cook' are just about everything I learned from googling him and I have absolutely no memory of this character, hahah. I don't think I've seen Episode II since it came out, to be fair.

I dunno, I got flowers once, but that was from a girlfriend and it's probably not entirely appropriate between friends. Since he sent you candy, you could send him candy? No one hates getting candy.

15. Simpson17866

Wow, really? :(

16. izzybot

I grew up on the orig trig - we had them on vhs when I was a kid and rewatched them all the time - but I never got into the prequels that much. I was [googles] six when TPM came out so I remember being really into it then, but I just don't remember being that into the second two, honestly (I think I got really bored with the love story aspect). I liked TFA and Rogue One, though. I promise I'm not being a smarmy purist :D

17. Iain Aschendale

When I was in the Marines, my girlfriend sent my flowers once. They ended up at the company office before the 1st Sgt made me take them and do a little marching and rifle drill with them for everyone's amusement...

But it sounds like you live in a slighly rural area, how about something locally produced? We have a local commercial beekeeper near where I live, so I send people jars of all-natural local honey all the time.

18. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Cut out the middle-man. Send the bees.

19. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Send him a book. If he doesn't like that, he's not the kind of guy you should be talking to.

NoGoodNobu and minstrel like this.
  20. big soft moose

or a picture of yourself sans apparell - same logic

21. big soft moose

in other news , unfortunate book placement
    20270101_10154973896950186_1043465915_n.jpg

I'm sure we all realised it says 'Giant' :D

22. Simpson17866

Yes.

What else could it say?

23. NoGoodNobu

Do men like getting flowers?

My mom hates getting flowers: they die and they can bring bugs and they offer no utility.

For some reason, I've always assumed men felt the same way about flowers as my mother.

That is a good idea. Something special local.

I wish I knew what that is, but I can investigate.

I tend to give passes to those who aren't interested in one area of the creative so long as they are knowledgeable & into some other. For instance if you can contribute to a discussion of the cinematography of In the Mood for Love, you don't have to critically analyse Heart of Darkness with me.

I don't strictly know one way or another if he's a bibliophile, but he is a photographer and has shared passionate insights into other arts. So if he isn't a big reader . . . I'll probably pardon him.

(Although he still will have to endure me ramble about the brilliance of some excerpt of Austen's as much as the use of colour in the BBCA's Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency series as much as any other odd thing that's all of sudden taken my fancy.)

3481F2D0-E568-49F4-8093-0802A158B4B4-10522-00000BEEA3D4BD98.jpeg
    The only noods I send, I'm afraid.

. . . actually, now I'm incredibly tempted to send him instant ramen with no explanation.

Oscar Leigh and Iain Aschendale like this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

A Marine staff sergeant once asked me to bring a can of calamari from California to Texas and hand it off to an Army staff sergeant who was stationed on an Air Force base there. I didn't ask any questions, and the handoff went off without a hitch.

Oscar Leigh, izzybot and NoGoodNobu like this.
  25. izzybot

I mean, I agree with your mom on principle, to be fair. But it's the thought that counts, imo.

Also to be fair, I have a simplistic, dog-like love of just getting things - any things. I'd probably be excited if someone mailed me some dirt :rolleyes: Maybe I'm not the best test case.

Oscar Leigh and NoGoodNobu like this.