Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_Lowcountry

Chuck_Lowcountry New Member

Incarcerated Writer and Feedback on his Manuscript (portions)

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Chuck_Lowcountry, Dec 12, 2020.

Hi,
    My wife and are supporting someone close to the family who is serving a five-year sentence in a state prison. During the first half of his term, he has hand-written two fantasy novels of about 120K words each. When I say writing I mean printing. My wife agreed most graciously to type his second novel draft into electronic format. She is at 90K.

He expressed interest in an alpha reader looking over a portion of his work.
    • Is it acceptable for me to act as a proxy, and post 2K of his selected work?
    • Would it go in this "Novels" forum along with his instructions to any reviewers?
    • It is a Fantasy so should it go into a different forum?
    • I would print any feedback and mail it to him.
    • I would maintain everyone's anonymity, including his.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

2. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I would recommend that you reach out to the moderators with any questions about the rules on the forum for posting other people's work.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Unfortunately, Chuck, what you're asking is not allowed. For liability purposes, all workshop posts must be made by the copyright owner of the work being reviewed. We've had issues with copyright violations in the past, and they are not pleasant. Not that we believe you are attempting to misrepresent yourself or the work in question, but we can't knowingly post work on our forum from somebody we know isn't the original owner.

Your incarcerated friend is more than welcome to submit his work himself, but we can't let you do it for him.

Chuck_Lowcountry likes this.
  4. Chuck_Lowcountry

Chuck_Lowcountry New Member

Thank you for clarifying your policy. I understand and appreciate you concern to safeguard material. He cannot access a computer or the internet.

For the sake of encouraging the author and at the risk of being pushy, I offer this legal option for representing the original owner.

The author indicated he would give my wife a Power of Attorney (POA) to allow her to act as his agent on all things related to his novel if he cannot do it himself (e.g. beta readers, editors, agents, publishers). Would that satisfy the liability concerns of the site?

Thank you.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That's for agents and publishers to decide. He can do a lot of things with his novel, but if he can't participate in an online community, there is nothing we can help him with. We're not a critique service... we're a community of writers here to help and learn from each other. All who post in the Workshop are expected to actively critique the works of others. Give a little, get a little: there is no other way for the community to function.

Nothing against your friend--I hope everything works out for him--but he can't hold up his end of the deal if he isn't here.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.