1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

InDesign Help

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Bakkerbaard, Oct 7, 2021.

I figured I'd try if anybody here has some Indesign experience, before hobbling over to the Adobe forums.

So. I've got a bunch of basics down. Formatting and layout is not the problem here. Those are pretty well covered in Youtube-tuts and I turned out to be pretty adequate at it, if you'll forgive the arrogance.
    Problem is at the part before all that.

I can get my whole manuscript into Indesign, no problem, but it'll sit there as one whole manuscript (which is where I'm at now, formatted and all), without any indication for Indesign on where a chapter begins. By itself this wouldn't be a problem (the print version is about ready to go like this), but I suspect this will bite me in the ass when I want to make a Table Of Contents for the epub.

How do I define chapters? Preferably without having to dissect the manuscript back into separate files again.

One tutorial advised to do just that and put all the spearate sections into an Indesign Book. I'm not against that, per se, but I highly doubt my formatter did that and it ruins my ability to make changes in the Google Docs manuscript, export it to Docx, and let Indesign figure out changes have been made.