1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Indiana Jones and the Allure of A New Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Link the Writer, Mar 15, 2016.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/15/disney-announces-new-indiana-jones-for-2019-release-with-spielbe/
    Yep, Disney has announced that there will be a fifth Indiana Jones movie coming out in 2019. Not much on the plot from the link, just the announcement.

So what do you all think? Good? Bad? Think the series should've ended with The Last Crusade?

Personally, if they can just leave out Shia LaBeouf (aka, Mutt) and don't hint at him being the new Indiana Jones, I think this movie might have a chance. Oh, and less CGI, aliens, and swinging across a jungle with an armada of monkeys, Disney, please. Thank you.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Agreed. Crystal Skulls was bit awkward and melodramatic.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Could be decent, though we'd have to see how they work the role to account for Ford's age.

Crystal Skull was better than Temple of Doom.

4. Oscar Leigh

LIIEEES!

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Heh. I never thought Temple of Doom was very good, even when I was young and it came out.

I think what happens with a lot of these movies is the main fan base is simply older. Kids I know seemed to like Crystal Skulls. They also like the old ones. Those of us who grew up with the old ones have a nostalgic feeling for them, and we overlook their flaws, but when a new one comes out we see all those flaws. Temple of Doom was pretty melodramatic, and the whole series is over the top and implausible, but the movies are fun :)

Oscar Leigh and Viridian like this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

I guess....

7. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Ya, but like you said their fun. The series has never been about plausibility or even great writing, to be honest. We watch them for the adventure that it takes us on. I`ll admit though has someone who enjoyed the series, I think there comes a point where every series should be put to rest. Crystal Skulls, while definitely not a fan favorite seemed like it was being set up to be a finale what with Jones meeting his son and resolving the old old love interest.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Kevin Mackinnon

Kevin Mackinnon New Member

I like all the IJ movies. The only gripe I have is how Spielberg/ Lucas made comic relief out of the great characters of Raiders. I hate that they made Marcus a bumbling idiot; and made the awesome strong Marion a whiny kook. And for what? A cheap laugh?
    I like them all but they can't beat Raiders.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

The time for the classic Indiana Jones is dead. If Indiana Jones wants to persist as a franchise in the modern era of movies, it has to adapt somehow, and people are going to have to expect it to.

Crystal Skull left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths even though it took steps to modernize the movies (I wouldn't say "update", they don't need to update so much as they need to just literally modernize themselves) but perhaps a second shot is what the franchise needs. I'm not someone who ever cared that much for Indiana Jones, I was always a Bond kid, and James Bond has aged incredibly well, probably mostly due to the fact they use a different white guy every few movies instead of dragging Harrison Ford from his grave and voodoo magicing him to make another fucking movie.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Indiana Jones and The Epic Escape From the Old Folks Home:supergrin:

Duh duh dun duh.....well there goes his hip, I wonder just how Indie is going to drag himself down three flights of stairs and fight of orderlies and nurse, while dodging the fellow elder-lies? Should be exciting to watch our hero wield his trusty whip while using a walker.:superlaugh:

And the sixth and final in the series: Indiana Jones: Collecting Dust in the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. 2.5 Hrs of watching people marvel at his decayed body as he lives of to that epic phrase exchange:

Indiana: "It belongs in a museum."
    Fedora Guy: "So do you." :superlaugh:

And if they try real hard they could stretch it to a seventh but that would be one hell of a stretch.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

There can only be another movie if this happens in it.

[​IMG] Indiana Jones 5! The Mysterious remains of Han Solo

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. Oscar Leigh

So beyond the grave is the seventh I presume? :ghost::ghost:

13. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

Depends which age group they're aiming at. If its my age group (grew up with Indiana and looooooved all the movies) then, yes, they're gonna have to ramp it up a bit. I too thought Crystal Skull was lacking, but I did enjoy it. Interestingly enough, my six year old recently started watching them, he became obsessed, and his absolute favourite is Crystal Skull. Harrison Ford is the draw for these movies though, he's gonna be hard to replace - but replace they must if they're to continue (and no, definitely not with Shia whathisname).

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

Speaking of ghosts, congratulations on another successfully resurrected thread! This one started getting active fast. :ghost:

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I only live to haunt the old and dusty recesses of the world, cause I really don't know where I belong. (But that is a sad tale for my biography). For now I will continue my reign of madness.:supergrin:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Oscar Leigh

Never stop good sir. :supergrin:

17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I could see it now...

Indiana Jones: “Dr. von Irrikov! I knew you stole that bingo card from me! Give it back!”

Dr. von Irrikov: “Come get it, then.”

<cue epic music as Indiana Jones...moves painfully slow on his walker toward his nemesis who is a few feet away>

Dr. von Irrikov: <sighs> “I'm getting too old for this...” <walks off>

Indiana Jones: “Come back here, you Russian Commie bastard!”

Dr. von Irrikov: <turns around> “I'm Polish, you wrinkled turd!”

<Indiana Jones fumbles with a rope and tries to whip the bingo card sticking out of von Irrikov's breast pocket>

Dr. von Irrikov: “...Really?”

Orderly Nurse: “Oh dear, Indy's off his meds again. Come, come, Mr. Jones...”

Oscar Leigh likes this.