1. De'Andre Turner

De'Andre Turner New Member

I'm trying to write a quantum mechanic, horror mystery but I need some help.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by De'Andre Turner, Mar 31, 2017.

A girl named Lola is living her daily life with her friends in the city. But one day she wakes up from her sleep and is sent to a higher plane of existence along with some her friends. There they meet a dimensional voyager named, Uxell. The voyager explains that they exist between two worlds, the conscious world which is where her and her friends live their daily lives and the unconscious world in which they exist with immortal beings and can observe the conscious world but are not allowed to interact with it. The voyager explains that there conscious bodies will be murdered by an unframed culprit. As a result, the voyager creates a game of Mafia (or Werewolf) to prevent the fates of the group of friends and to give them hints about who murderer them.When they do find the truth, the voyager will send them to a world in which all of them are alive and the culprit is caught. Even so, the behavior of the friends begins to change drastically in the conscious world. Can the characters figure out who is the culprit in each game? Are they able to use the clues they have?
    Knowing the fate of themselves, the story is based on the Chaos Theory.The voyager explains that they are chaos keeper, which are beings whose deaths cause the universe to experience distortion and causes chaos. The deaths of these characters causes the world to go in chaos. Can decision made in the game change the outcome of a result? What happen to the characters prior to them entering the game? Can the group prevent the world from going into chaos and figure out who the culprit is?

Stormburn likes this.
  2. De'Andre Turner

Can I get additional feedback to make it better?

3. The Arcane

The Arcane Member

What exactly do you need help with? You seem to have a concept fully parsed. The only issue I can see with this is the scope is fairly limited. There is no way this could last more than eighty pages without mass filler.

If you are trying to write a novella, then just tell the story as best you can as coherent as you can. If you wish to write a full novel, try to increase the scope of the story.

4. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Your premise really grabs me. How do you intend to use it? I can see it as a series of stories. The first would be the introduction of the characters and their adventure in the higher plane that ends with the discovery of their true nature. Then, a series of stories (books?) based upon each character fate and then a final story (book? Maybe even named for the character) that brings everyone back together and concludes the story line. You have a wonderful premise. If I read it as the intro for a book, I would pick it up.

5. De'Andre Turner

I think I am going to introduce the higher plane of existence as a meta-world outside the real world. Then have the higher plane act as a way to survey the real world in real time, replaying the same events with alternate plots that combined together, creates a true plot. For example, Lola, Mikey, Adrian, Christopher, Calvin, Bailey, Gina, Kerry, Valerie, Sianna, and Meghan are the humans that are the main cast. They live through their school lives together but one day, they all wake up in the higher plane. ( I don't know what the plane is going to be called) They meet dimensional voyagers named Noah and Natalie. Noah informs them that they are going to be killed these next couples of days. They must play a game of " Werewolf Mafia". The game is basically is played by two teams: the mafia and the innocents. Live games require a moderator who does not participate as a player, and identities are assigned by handing out cards. At the start of the game, every mafioso is given the identities of their teammates, whereas the innocents only receive the number of mafioso in the game, and do not know which players are mafia and which are innocents.

There are two phases: night and day. At night, certain players secretly perform special actions; during the day, players discuss and vote to "lynch," or eliminate, one player. These phases alternate with each other until all mafioso have been eliminated or until the mafia outnumbers the innocents. With this in mind, the werewolves and such are also part of the mafia team. The roles include the Villager, a plain innocent, Hercule Clouseau Spade, a detective, Hippocrates, a doctor, Sombre Negra and Los Pepes, vigilantes, the mafia, and werewolves, and the moderator. The roles are also actual beings in the higher plane of existence. They are not "real" to say for the real world aspect ( the lower world) but they only can exist in the higher plane. Now the way this works is that each role plays a significant role in the characters deaths. If a character is killed in the game, they die in real life. If the mafia and werewolf side win, then the culprit wins in the real world( lower world). But if the innocent win, then a world where peace is the aspect of the universe that is presented. Each game new characters, rules, and orders of events are different. Each game represents a truth to be revealed about what is to become of these characters. The first game would go as such; Lola - observer Mikey- 1st to die, Christopher- 2nd to die, Valerie- 3rd to die, Kerry- 4 to die, Gina- 5th to die, Sianna-6th to die, Meghan-7th to die, and Bailey- 8th to die. Adrian and Calvin are the culprits of this world and the events are reset to see a different outcome. But of course, the audience are not aware that Adrian and Calvin are the culprits until super late in the story. Also, the audience will not know who had what role, nor how the murders happened until later on when realizing who each culprit of each game is. When something does happen, like a murder, the present universe is replaced with a new universe created by the Moderator, which in this game is Noah, to support the status of the game. If Mikey was killed, the universe in which Mikey was alive is destroyed and is replaced with a new one in which he dead. Can I get any feedback please?

6. Joe King

Joe King Member

It's a really interesting and unique idea. All I can say is you'll have to be really careful with some of the writing/explaining of it all. I found myself getting a little lost reading above because there's so much information and so many different little parts to it all. I'm sure you'd be able to make it work though with a clear plan in place.

7. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

What does this have to do with quantum mechanics?

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Good question. I saw reference to the chaos theory, which describes predictable systems that become so complex that they appear chaotic, and is more a part of classical physics than quantum mechanics.

EDIT: Ah, dimensions...

9. De'Andre Turner

When the characters die in the game, they doe in real life. Because if they deaths, the world ends up in a nuclear war. Certain could only be prevented if those characters were alive. Deaths = war = chaos Chaos theory make since?

10. De'Andre Turner

In other words, the world was going to go to chaos either way. Noah, Uxell, and Natalie can manipulate chaos and decided to stop the chaos of the world by creating a game. That's is the purpose of the game. I don't know if I should have the world go to chaos if all the innocent dies or if any of the characters dies? Plus I was thinking about having the innocent win and the chaos stop but then a new dimensional voyager would come along and create a small change in the "real world " and the cast would have to redo the same events with a new antagonist. While also revealing their back-story and what happens in the future world of the destroyed, chaotic world.

11. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

This still has nothing to do with quantum mechanics, and what you're describing isn't chaos theory, at least not in the mathematical sense. And to be sure, your interpretation of higher dimensions is not the ones usually found in physics or mathematics. So... count me in among those who aren't understanding what you're asking.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd disagree about that - theres enough here to be a full book or series of books it really depends on how the OP develops it as the writing goes along

13. De'Andre Turner

Now it is about to get complicated so prepare. The aspect of the higher plane of existence is the Dirac Arc which resides in an invisible void of the Dirac Sea, vacuum as an infinite sea of particles with negative energy. Explaining this is complex so pay attention. The negatively charged particles of the Sea creates an alternate universe based on the decision of the Voyagers. Voyagers have the ability to create and control chaos which also means they can control chaos within the real world just as much as they can create and control chaos in the Dirac Arc. The Voyagers can use the chaos to create predictions for the relative probabilities of the various possible outcomes. But with that in mind, the energy and the chaos itself was put in the form of a game. Dirac sea is that it is a plane of negative particles that is infinite and can take in an infinite amount of matter. The events in the game tell a different story, the smallest change in the game could ultimately determine whether or not those characters survive and because the chaos in the world determines whether or not the innocent are alive, then the chaos is only determined through the probability of the game. If the innocent lost, then if the characters die and the world goes to chaos. If the innocent win, then the characters live and peace is created. What I mean by reality change is let say a character was resurrected in the game, well then the current universe that the person was dead in would be replaced with a new universe in which the character is alive.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  14. De'Andre Turner

Should I make the idea of the Dirac Arc nothing but a relative psychosis? Should the characters just experience psychosis because they are trying to remember what happened to them or what is going to happen to the, prior to the waking in the Dirac Arc? Should I just make it seem as if the characters are trying to remember what to them and the Dirac Arc is their redemption of their memory?

15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
  16. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Oh never mind, that was a reference to string theory.

17. De'Andre Turner

Then I also was going to have the
    How could I tie this into the story?

18. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

You can't. String theory is a theoretical attempt to complete an equation using suppositions that cannot be empirically tested. It's a lot of chalk on a black board and not much else.

The dimensions you are referring to stem from the uncertainty principle. i.e. If light travels as a wave and arrives as a photon, then where do all the other possibilities that existed in the wave function get played out? In other dimensions, of course... hmm.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I agree using string theories 26 dimensions would probably not work out so well, mainly
    because of the aforementioned by @Pinkymcfiddle.

Pinkymcfiddle likes this.
  20. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Indeed, at its most basic, string theory is an attempt to marry classical physics and quantum mechanics. There are four main forces, three of them are incredibly strong (strong, weak and electromagnetic forces, which operate on a quantum scale), and one of them is incredibly weak, (namely gravity, which operates on large scales). Well, if gravity were diffused through lots of tiny curling dimensions, that might explain it's comparative weakness... Of course, it is much more involved than that. I sometimes think that occam's razor doesn't apply to theoretical physics.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  21. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

Hasn't there lately been some hypothesizing about gravity not being a fundamental force after all? I think some very recent experiments along with theoretical models have been presented to support it (not conclusively, of course).

Anyway, @De'Andre Turner: How much theoretical physics, and mathematics, have you studied? You're attempting to make use of some very complicated and complex theory, so the less you've studied the more difficult it'll be to present it in a cohesive way to the reader. There are things in your posts that imply that you don't really understand some of the concepts you use - for example, the way you use the term chaos as used in chaos theory. Another example,

Well vacuum is just space void of matter... and in modern theories vacuum is not perfectly void of everything. And vacuum, speaking in more layman terms, would be either 3D Euclidean space or 4D spacetime, that is, it is just our plane of existence but with stuff removed from it; not a higher plane or higher dimension like you describe it. Your original question asks for clarifications in quantum mechanics but then you talk about chaos theory, and then there seems to be a bit of (science) fantasy thrown into the mix, and suddenly a desire to incorporate some string theory...

Can I tell you why I bring this up? It isn't to harp on you or anything like that. Sometimes I take liberties with interpretations of science related topics, and I even sometimes write about time in the classical sense, more or less ignoring the concept of spacetime - in one story I have aliens dismantling the universe in an "alright guys, pack it up, we're done here - hey did you see the game last night?" kind of way. I mention these things because the way you appear to be using concepts with very little understanding of them. And also... and I know how this may sound like so please take this as well meaning as possible... I get the feeling that you want to include these things because it's "cool". I get the general premise: the different games are the different probabilities each state of the universe may have, and you reset, and change a tiny thing, and chaos theory comes into play as a cause-and-effect chain so complicated it appears to be chaotic. You should just keep it that way. Your story is clearly only using some scientific notions as a vehicle to tell something else, rather than explore the ideas themselves, so stick to that. Do away with the whole Dirac Sea thing and leave out the string theory stuff. You're fine to keep the name Dirac Arc as a device that allows the main characters to reset the universe to a specific state. But all those attempts trying to explain how it works... well, it doesn't work. It really doesn't. Keep it trimmed down and focused and you'll come out with a more understandable and stronger story.

22. De'Andre Turner

OK. But should I still keep the "chaos theory" part of my story?

23. De'Andre Turner

And part of it is based Schrödinger cat so......yeah. What about that?

24. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

People, like me, are tedious pedants, so I would only use it if you are using it correctly.

De'Andre Turner likes this.
  25. De'Andre Turner

The universe of the story assumes a combination of 'many-worlds' and 'relational' interpretations; the probability waveform collapses at each observer's observation, and the superposed states decohere into consistent histories. Only one consistent history can be experienced by each observer, but in the higher plane of existence , they can all be viewed. The game held in higher plane/ meta dramatizes the struggle between consistent histories and the re-coherence of opposing observers into one 'true' observatio