1. DustinTheWind

DustinTheWind Active Member

Discussion of the Crystal Flames

Discussion in 'Archive' started by DustinTheWind, Sep 20, 2009.

Regulate any questions, discussion, and out of character comments to this thread. If I was too vague about any rules or aspects of the world, ask me and I will try to clarify.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my blog on this site is dedicated to this world, so be sure to look there too.

2. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Question: Can dragons breed with humanoids or man beasts to make Half dragon type things? Or could some complex white fire spell do the same thing?

If not, could we play dragons? If they have small enough breeds? Or possibly Traal? Or half Traal thing?

If none of the above I'll just pick something simpler.

YAY! NEW RPG!!!!

3. DustinTheWind

No, but there I do have something you may be interested in. I will PM you with the details...

4. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Hey DW,

How many post per day are you looking for?

5. DustinTheWind

Quite honestly, that hadn't occurred to me. Any amount would be an improvement at this point. I'm not really sure what pace the story will be moving. I guess we'll just have to see.

6. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

'aight I'm in. I can manage a post or two a day during weekdays (from work) I'll try to come up w/ something clever and post later today.

7. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Just waiting for a PM back and I will get started.

8. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Okay, I have a bit of a request. Could you give us a bit of an explanation of the different social classes? Basically I want to know how important each social class is, what options might be open to someone in a certain class that might not be open to others. Thanks in advance!

Would you like our character descriptions here or in the story thread?

9. DustinTheWind

Will do! Unfortunately, I have a class in a few minutes so I can't do it now. Look forward to the info later.

10. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Okay. Now that I have all the information together that I need I just have to put my character together.

What to do... What to do...

A reincarnation of Incendia Ignis? Or something new...

11. DustinTheWind

SOCIOECONOMICS:

In Hani, the country in which you start and in which most of you were probably born and raised, there is in place a feudal caste system with three official status ranks: nobility, freemen, and peasants.

Peasants are the lowest on the social ladder. They live on the land of another, usually a noble, farming it for them, taking care of their livestock, etc. You will also find some merchants and tradesmen in this class. Often, they only have one name with a simple title referring to their location or occupation. (Carl of Tekka or Carl the Blacksmith as opposed to Carl Johnson)

Freemen are slightly better off than peasants. As their name implies, they do not "belong" to any noble. Many own their own small farms or shops, though these still fall somewhat under the authority of the local baron. Still, their socioeconomic freedom gives them a chance at prosperity not shared by peasants. Peasants who have fought in the King's military are often promoted to this rank. They are more likely to have two names, as well as any title they have picked up.

Nobility is, of course, the highest rank. It has many subdivisions, too complex to list here [okay, honestly I haven't worked it out fully]. They own land, control cities, and engage in petty little squabbles. At the top of their ranks is, of course, the royal family. All nobility tend to have as many names and titles as they dang well please, seldom with fewer than three.

It should be noted that Knighthood (on the occasion it is bestowed on a non-noble) is considered a sort of non-transferable nobility. A knight is treated with the social graces of lower nobility but his children, upon leaving his household, are considered high-class freemen.

Access to schools is generally limited as well; the more arcane the knowledge contained, the more selective and discriminatory the admittance. Good luck trying to get into an academy of magic without being at least a fairly high-class freeman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This hierarchy is admittedly poorly researched. I had not given it much thought when creating the world, and have been quickly developing it over the past few days. I literally came up with the freeman middle class while writing this (it was originally just a higher class of peasant). For now, it should be taken as fact. I will notify you if I change anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post or PM a link to the RPG in question, and I will gladly tell you if the character fits this world.

Oh yeah, and post your profiles in the main thread once they're ready.

12. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Wow... That took a long time.

13. DustinTheWind

I like it a lot! A WHOLE lot! (and it fits into my grand scheme better than you can know) A few problems though.

1) The green flame was neither on a mountain, nor in Hani.
    2) The people of Hani do not trust the Alfar after the Alfarian slaughter of a human-alfarian truce kingdom nearly an age ago (yeah, that's my fault. I really should have mentioned this.)

I recommend either
    A) Keep it as is, but relocate his family's estate to the overseas kingdom (unnamed yet) the ruined Cloud Pillar (the former green Greatflame temple) is in. He came to Hani in search of the Dragon.
    B) Relocate the family's estate to a mountain near the red fire (which is in Hani) but retain the green magic for the family, and have them keep their Alfarian lineage secret.

14. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Are you going to write up a character sheet for Mon Ich? It would be helpful, since he is the one common link everyone will share, we will probably need a description at some point.

15. DustinTheWind

I'm actually working on that right now.

16. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Awesome. Well, that takes care of that.

17. edens garden

edens garden New Member

Didn't want to crowd up the story, but there was a bit of a problem lol.

18. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

2) The people of Hani do not trust the Alfar after the Alfarian slaughter of a human-alfarian truce kingdom nearly an age ago (yeah, that's my fault. I really should have mentioned this.)

Hmm.... That's definitely a problem... I hate how humans and elves never like each other. I really do. It causes more problems for me than you'd expect...

I think I have a plan though...

19. DustinTheWind

Yeah sorry. But in this case, the reason came before the hatred in plot creation. It was the symptom, not the goal.

20. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Yep. problem solved though.

The Fabre family now lived on an island that was nearby the air tower thingy, and while the family works in Hani they disguise themselves so that they don't appear to be Alfar. They also go by Neco rather than Fabre.

That work?

21. DustinTheWind

Sooooounds good! Plus that makes your character an important plotkey if/when we get to the Green Flame part of the story.

22. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Okay then.

Yay for making a character that fits!

EDIT: Hey Mobious, I know you're new so I'll be the one to tell you. You see that button at the bottom right hand corner of your posts? next to quote? the one that says "Edit"? That lets you edit an old posts. That way you can just edit things in that you forgot about rather than make a new posts.

23. DustinTheWind

Mobious, your character looks good, however please keep "oops I messed that up" comments out of the Role Play thread. That's what the discussion thread is for.

Also, there is an edit button.

Oh, whoops

24. edens garden

edens garden New Member

I'm going to start working on my first post, but it may take me a while since my boyfriend needs the computer. It should be up this afternoon/this evening (Eastern time). Oh, if anyone knows any girls who might be interested, give them a nudge. Being the token female can be fun, but variety is the spice of life.

25. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

I don't know about Females. or at least any that still hang around here, but I could try.