Injecting Water into the Bloodstream

Discussion in 'Research' started by Gravy, Jun 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Maybe they don't even use the digestive system at all, the blood goes straight into their circulatory system?

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sure you can. I was just trying to be helpful,
    and I don't write about Vampires, so go wild. :)

Gravy likes this.
  3. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    Aqua Regia could work, but I think that would straight up destroy the character. Rather than cause a mass amount of pain. I have considered injections of nitrogen as to give them a horrible case of the bends. That might still be on the table. And to respond to your other question, yes. All but sunlight, have no effect on them. Because being a vampire is more of a medical thing in this story.

4. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

This is exactly what my lore is. Vampires' bodies change so the blood goes right to their system. I still am not sure what organs they would still need. But that's why I wanted to know how much pain my vampire would be in if someone forced him to drink water.

5. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Yay! Thanks!

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't think that is true about the kidneys or liver metabolism affecting this method of imbibing. If it is a fact, and I don't know if it is, it would be related to rate of absorption.

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Actually, the alcohol WILL eventually end up in the liver, but the upper intestines have some enzymes produced by the liver that make it less potent by the time it gets there but with an enema this doesn't happen.

Also with an enema there is no gag reflex or vomiting which reduces chances of fatal intoxication.

But like I said, I'm not a doctor, the OP would need to consult a medical forum if those details matter.

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Of course alcohol is metabolized in the liver.

Where do you get the information there are enzymes produced in the liver that affect alcohol in the upper intestines?

I can't parse your sentence about no vomiting. Are you saying the alcohol enema has a greater chance of making you fatally intoxicated?

When a person drinks chronically they can develop gastritis. That might limit alcohol consumption because it hurts. I think you are mixing some concepts up here.

9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

All of this is based off of tv programs and wikipedia which suggest that an alcohol enema is more dangerous, ounce per ounce, and yes it would be based on the rate of absorption. Wikipedia says the upper digestive tract contains liver produced enzymes, the tv programs I watched did not, but I thought wikipedia was consistent with your previous post. Those enzymes already do some of the work before it reaches the liver, but ingestion straight to the lower digestive tract bypasses that.

As for vomiting and the gag reflex, this just wouldn't happen with an enema. The idea is that vomiting and the gag reflex are both sort of ways your body tells you something is wrong or is overloading you with toxic substances. Again, I'm not claiming my descriptions or terminology are 100% accurate, but the distinction that oral consumption is safer and less lethal than through an enema, ounce for ounce, is something I've seen from several sources but that may or may not be correct. It doesn't matter to me as I don't plan on doing it and alcohol intoxication is not something I'd write about.

10. Drinkingcrane

Drinkingcrane Active Member

So I just brushed through through this thread I apologize for any redundancy. First of all if you want to hurt a vampire with water use holy water blessed by a priest.

as far as acid is concerned hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid and hydroiotic acid are very powerful. When a meth lab blows up and some sorry sob melts his face off that’s hydeoiotic acid

11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You could use watered-down acid (if that even dilutes them? I don't know) or just weaker acid, or some chemical that causes irritation and pain. Maybe inject alcohol and they get severely drunk from it as well as suffering various problems in the body? The opposite of acid is alkaline. It burns in a different way. You could use Lye or something strongly alkaline. Oh, and I just remembered, I belive alkalinity counteracts acidity, so one way to weaken an acid might be to add the appropriate amount of alkaline solution to it. I mean, you'd need to look up what liquids are alkaline and how they react with various acids etc.

12. Abciximab

Abciximab New Member

Hello OP, medical guy here.
    So I understand that your character is going to inject distilled water into his enemy's veins and you wonder what the observable symptoms would be?
    With enough water administered (no clue how much would be needed, but it would be a rather large amount for most satisfying results, so I'd say at least one liter, maybe two), the mass rupture of blood cells would induce intravasal hemolysis.
    The bursting blood cells would release large amounts of hemoglobin into your plasma, which would cause jaundice: the white in the eyes and - to a somewhat lesser degree- the skin would turn yellow.
    This would be accompanied by fever, abdominal pain and headaches, possibly muscle spasms. Acute kidney failure might ensue and would kill humans, but I am not really sure if vampires even need kidneys to survive.
    The mass bursting of blood cells might cause thrombosis and embolism. The latter one would make a quite nice visual effect for your story similar to frostbrand, where (under massive pain)the fingertips and tips of the toes become necroticand turn charcoal black. The necrosis would slowly creep upwards towards the center of the body.
    For vampires, I would crank that effect up to eleven with the dead skin breaking and bursting around the bones as hands and feet start to skeletonize.

Not the Territory and Gravy like this.
  13. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

When you were talking about watering down acids, I suddenly remembered 2 important acids. Lemon juice and vinegar. I could use those and it would most likely be nasty. I mean, vinegar dissolves pearls and lemon juice hurts in general. And ah... maybe. That could work, but I think I would have to look into the science some more. But yeah, maybe counteracting it with alkaline things could work.

14. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Yes! Thank you for this!! (It's exactly what I am looking for.) I am wondering if with a vampire if less water would be needed, because they don't have use of their small and
    large intestines. And a few of their other internal organs are 'dead', because they are no longer needed. And thank you for the symptom list! I appreciate it. On another note, can I PM you to talk about the physiology of my vampires? Because I think I almost have it figured out, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving out any vital parts that are 'needed'.

On another note, I am very interested in this necrotic limb thing. Because it could really add to my character and become a plot point. And yes, bone hands would be perfect. I am so going to use this.

15. Abciximab

Abciximab New Member

Thanks, I'm happy to help.
    Of course, you can PM me- I'm new to these forums and have no clue yet how PMs work here, but my gut feelings tell me I'm going to find out.
    A few additional notes:
    If this necrosis effect is what you want to go for, injecting air instead of water would probably be faster and more efficient, but you without jaundice.
    Also, I've been thinking about the kidney failure thing- while it would be unfathomably lame to kill a vampire this way, it would be definitely an idea that has never been used before in literature. Depending on the tone you are going for, it could be utterly hilarious. I just had to imagine the gang of heroes, armed to the teeth, storming the lair of the evil master vampire for the final battle, only to have the minion tell them that his master has already passed away from kidney failure, and the awkwardness that would ensue...

Gravy likes this.
  16. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

I might actually have to use this somewhere. It's so funny and I think it would be pretty amazing.

Abciximab likes this.
  17. jpoelma13

jpoelma13 Member

If you're having trouble with the quantity of water, you could as always use holy water injections or something else that take advantage of a vampire's supernatural weaknesses.

18. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

That sounds reasonable, but my vampires are more medical, than mythological. So, holy water, garlic and crosses do nothing. But if I was going to write a more mythical one, then yes. I totally think that using holy water would be awesome.

19. Divine Walker

Divine Walker Member

Magnus Chase and the Gods Of Asgard
    Make sure the readers will not questions how the contaminated water runs in it.

Gravy likes this.