1. The Backward OX

The Backward OX New Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin

~ The End ~

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The Backward OX, Jun 30, 2009.

I’m sure it’s been covered before but I was probably away that day. So, do you have any general principles you’d care to pass on, about ways to end a story?

Thanks.

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I like to leave my stories open to the possibility of sequels. Even if I never plan to touch the characters again, I always try and leave room for more. Unless its was always planned to be more then 1 book long, I tie up most loose ends. I might leave a few things left unsaid for the reader to think them over.

3. amble

amble New Member

I'm a fan of 'hanging' endings. Where you leave the possibility of caryying on, but also tempt the reader to make their own assumptions as well. Probably too much of a fan to be honest, in that I should try something different.

I do like to make readers feel the story has ended, but there is scope to dip back in because there is something left to be expanded on.....weird, I can't really describe it properly :s

4. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Here's what I do, I let it the stories end on their own accord. Perhaps this is a bad idea, but it's the only way I can imagine myself ending stories, at least the ones that have grasped some life of their own.

As for the type of endings, it varies, but again, let the stories act themselves out, I don't think there can be a more fitting ending than the one the story chooses itself (through you).

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Plot resolution. Every plot has its own natural conclusion that, when it is reached, is self evident. In the case of sequences, each book must contain its own central plot that reaches a natural ending while carrying over the series theme from one book to the next. Kind of like writing about a war...one battle (book) at a time until the war is over.

edit: just talked with a friend of mine who has several books in print. She said, "Conclusions are like orgasms. You'll know it when you get there."

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It really depends on the story. Some are better with full closure, others are better with messy or disturbing loose ends.

7. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I don't think any one type of ending should be used. Use an ending that fits.

With thrillers, cliffhanger endings can be effective, as can twist endings.

Sometimes ambiguous endings work.

And sometimes, it's just best to give a conclusion that doesn't try to be shocking. The characters resolve the conflict and while they may not live happy ever after, they live, they move on with life and the challenges that will await them in the future. Sometimes a simple ending like that is best.

8. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

To borrow from your Terry Pratchett quote, how 'bout: "In the end it imploded, and then there was everything."

Actually, that's only half in jest. In a way that's how I like to feel at the end of a great novel.

9. architectus

architectus Banned

The major questions should be answered, otherwise I feel ripped off.

10. starseed

starseed New Member

My book has a hanging ending. The whole book is about the 6 months of a characters life before he leaves on an indefinite trip to India. The final scene is him leaving for the airport.
    Actually now that I think about it, that's not really a "hanging ending". But it does leave it open for a sequel if I choose to write one (probably not).

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not necessarily. I believe leaving the reader with something to think about, and even discuss with friends, can be very powerful. Consider Stockton's The Lady or the Tiger.

12. Savoto

Savoto New Member

I like endings that fit with the general/logical feel of the story. If its the only logical way to end the story then I'm fine with it. Most of my stories have a "The End" type of endings. Everything has been said and done. The end.

The only type of ending that I dislike is cop-out endings. They usually feel uncomfortable and leave the reader feeling cheated.