1. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

Insensitive?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Adam Bolander, Apr 24, 2020.

What would be the best way to describe a Chinese characters eyes? Is "slanted" considered racist or offensive? Is there a better term? I'm not the kind of guy who'll comb through every sentence trying to make everything as inoffensive as humanly possible, but if I feel there's a chance something might cause more of a problem then it's worth, I'll try to fix it.
    So...whatch think?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

it might be construed as racist its also not accurate - if we consider this image his eyes aren't much slanted than a white guy's
    man-537136_1920.jpg

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Almond shaped.
    BSM is right, they are not slanted.
    Take some time to study the features.
    Or even better just skip the detail of
    shape entirely, since it doesn't define the
    character as a whole. :)
    [​IMG]

marshipan likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Offence is something I rarely concern myself with, but the question I have is: If the character is noted within the narrative as being Asian (generally) or Chinese (specifically), why are we describing his eyes?

Honest question.

If there is a specific reason, I'm guessing the verbiage you want is packaged within that reasoning. Other than being crass, slanted is generic, and the average Joe or Jane is perfectly well aware of the attributes typically associated with Asian features.

Who is observing?
    Why are they observing?
    What is that person's relationship to the character being described?

Descriptions are born of context. What is the context?

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Adam Bolander

Eyes like these are what I'm specifically imagining:

[​IMG]

And the context is that the one narrating finds the character he's describing very attractive, so he goes into a lot more detail describing her features than he would for anyone else.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"He had eyes like a wall of incomprehensible text.. she swooned, gobbledygook always made her hot..."

7. Adam Bolander

Yeah, no idea why that happened. Found another pic.

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Sensuous brown eyes like a cat goddess. Angled with a faux-sleepy tilt. Bedroom eyes.

SethLoki, marshipan and Cave Troll like this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

[​IMG]

The hell is that dude so happy about?

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. big soft moose

damned if i know - i got the shot from pixabay... I'm guessing the photographer shouted 'say nipples' just before he pressed the shutter (as a photographer i always found that worked better than cheese)

11. Adam Bolander

So far I have,

"Her sharply angled eyes glittered a dazzling violet, and the long, luscious hair that reached to her back was like a waterfall of raven feathers."

12. big soft moose

chinese girls don't generally have violet eyes... unless she is wearing tinted contacts. That aside it feels like there are too many words here.

"her almond shaped eyes glittered in the low lighting, luscious raven hair cascaded past her shoulders"

13. Adam Bolander

I won't go into that here, but there is a reason for it. This is a fantasy story, after all.

14. big soft moose

If its a fantasy story and she isn't typically chinese then this whole thread is pointless... her eyes could be any shape and you don't need to worry about racist connotations

15. Adam Bolander

She is Chinese, but...okay, I'll explain it from the top.

It's an urban fantasy. The girl (Jade) was a normal human until she was kidnapped by cultists and forcibly turned into a djinn/genie (not sure which one I'm going to use yet). She kept her human appearance (hence still looking Chinese) while technically not actually being human. There are even some rumors that she might have used her powers to enhance her beauty, hence why the narrating character is so stunned when he first sees her and describes her in so much detail.

16. Homer Potvin

He thinks he's better than us, that's why.

17. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Just dump the "sharply angled" already. Her eyes aren't angled. She has epicanthic folds. Just say she looks Chinese, describe the colour of her eyes and move on.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  18. Homer Potvin

Agree. Move on before your reader moves on to another story.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  19. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Just saying, violet eyes in a female fantasy character is a huge cliché. Some people even openly make fun of some these books. Not me, though... It was a friend of mine... I tried to stop them!

I personally would generally stay away from saying things that are oddly close to derogatory slurs. Slant eyes, is definitely something I wouldn't call my Asian friends unless we had that kind of relationship. I would also probably just mention her ethnicity/where she was from originally/etc. and leave it at that. Unless her exact eye shape is somehow plot specific, then I'd drop it. Just say she's beautiful and move on. Everyone's got their own idea of what a beautiful Asian woman with purple eyes looks like and cramming too much description on there will either, ruin the mental image the reader's already formed in their mind, disrupt whatever pacing you've already established, or be a waste of words since almost no one pays attention to anything other than broad character descriptions anyway.

Homer Potvin and Wreybies like this.
  20. big soft moose

Not to mention that a Chinese girl who grew up with a typically Chinese mind map of what beauty looks like wouldn't give herself violet eyes to make herself more attractive.

ajaye likes this.
  21. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

As an Asian, I agree with everyone else. Say she's Chinese. Say she's beautiful. Move on. Don't say slanted. 'Almond' eyes is a little better but not by much so I'd ditch that too. Honestly, the purple eyes falls into that 'POC with beautiful, exotic eyes that would never work in real life to make them seem more exotic' trope which I hate to death but that's my personal opinion so you can disregard that. If you have to describe her beauty make it short and sweet and if you can't do that just say a simple, "She was beautiful."

22. big soft moose

"Bob felt his breath catch in his throat, the girl was simply beautiful, long silky hair as black as a ravens wing, dark eyes that glittered with reflected firelight." something like that is sufficient - you don't even have to say shes Chinese, if she has a Chinese name that will be obvious from context

23. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

I couldn't care less about being offensive either, but I agree. Why is describing the shape of the eye important to the story? Are we assuming that your reader has no clue what Asian people look like? Let your reader form their own picture in their mind. Everything doesn't have to be described unless it's important to the story.