Tags:
  1. Spellbreaker

Spellbreaker New Member

(Insert Clever Greeting Here)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spellbreaker, Mar 1, 2020.

Hello, all. The name's Spellbreaker and, after lurking the site for eons, I've finally decided to dive in and join. I'm very familiar with forum culture, so my infiltration integration into the community should be near unnoticeable ;)

Jokes aside, I find this site to be quite welcoming. I used to frequent another writing site where I published terrible short stories, but I think it's dead and now overrun with bots wanting to sell me questionable merchandise. Which is a shame, as the site's community was very friendly and review-oriented. Ah, memories. But hey, you might find me reviewing some writing since the habit is still with me :D

Anyway, I guess I can exposition here for a bit. Like I mentioned, I used to write terrible short stories, but now I can write semi-terrible short stories. Which, if you think about it, it ain't too bad in terms of progress. I know for some writers, progress ought to be more consistent, but I'm busy with work, school, and personal obligations, so time is never on my side; although, I'm sure I'm not the only writer who has to deal with lack of time.

Returning to my original point, I'm mainly a fantasy short story writer. I'm currently outlining short story #1 and I have a few ideas for short story #2. I'm also working on a fanfic, but I doubt I'll bring it up in conversation outside this post. It's a fun project to work on when I need a distraction from my original fiction. I don't know if I'll ever considering publishing, self or trad, so I'll leave that nerve-wrecking decision to Future Spellbreaker :p

Well, that's all I have to blab about. I hope to learn much from this community, but also bring something to the table.

Cheers!

Alan Aspie likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Spellbreaker! Yikes. For some reason I missed your introduction. I just noticed it this morning and thought ...hey, I've not welcomed THIS one yet!

I’m one of the forum moderators, and I want to (belatedly) welcome you to the forum.

In order to help you get oriented and get settled, here are a couple of links I strongly recommend that you read, if you haven’t already. They will give you a good idea of how we operate here on the forum:

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

You will notice in the New Member Quick Start that in order to post your work in the Workshop area—the only area of the forum where you are allowed to post your work for feedback—you will need to do at least two critiques for other people, in exchange for receiving feedback on one of your own pieces of work. This 2:1 ratio lasts as long as your membership here. In order to help you get started doing critiques, here is a link to a good article written by one of our former moderators: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

However, I note that you are already an experienced reviewer. Fantastic. Just what the forum appreciates. Most of the writers here want to get feedback on their works in progress, so you will become very popular very quickly, I'm sure. And you'll probably add up your required critiques in no time, so you'll be able to post your own work in the Workshop for feedback as well.

One of the popular areas of our forum is our contest section. There is a monthly contest running for Short Stories, Flash Fiction and Poetry. You can enter these ongoing contests, even as a new member, so don't be shy. And we really do encourage you to at least visit the site, read the current entries, and vote for your favourite when the voting period starts. This means a lot to the people who have written these entries. And it will also give you a good idea of what our members are capable of writing.
    https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

While the Role Playing Game section is not new, it’s being given a revamp. So if you are interested in playing and writing Role Playing Games, you might want to visit this section and get in on the fun. https://www.writingforums.org/threads/resurrecting-the-dead-rpg-section-rebuild.165055/

I hope you have fun getting to know us and let us get to know you, via the posts you make. Please feel free to explore the forum. There is a lot under the hood. This site map might help you find your way around more quickly than the menu bars do, so feel free to use it. https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any difficulties, don’t hesitate to contact me or one of the other moderators, whose names appear in yellow at the bottom of the Community page. We will be glad to help.

Again, welcome! And sorry for the delay.

Cheers for now,
    Jan

Spellbreaker likes this.
  3. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Hello there Spellbreaker,

Yes, this place is worth your time, feel free to check all the resources, the citizens here are very much into writing.

Most of us still write semi-terrible and worse, and would wish to improve, so we keep writing and writing... There is no other way, as Neil Gaiman said 'I learn writing by writing'. Just keep focused on enjoying your life, writing should never feel like an obligation, after all readers read for pleasure.

Oh, then go ahead and make the day of many writers, you've got this golden chance to review certain amazing short stories out there (Am I doing shameful self promotion here? Maybe...) Now seriously, there is real talent on this forum. Check them out.

Looking forward to read your stories and fanfic. I'm still waiting for a good writer to conciliate me with the fantasy genre. There is also many contests you might like to check out. Even if you don't win with your first entry, you'll learn a lot while reading great, high quality stories.

Welcome to the Forum.

Spellbreaker likes this.