Inspiration from another book or movie?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The95Writer, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Amy Brahams

Amy Brahams New Member

Everybody takes inspiration from different source and they don't even realizes it. So if u are inspired with something and thinking your own piece then u should go ahead. But just make sure that it don't become that obvious. :D

OurJud likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Bukowski's Factotum is clearly inspired by Ask the Dust, written by his hero John Fante. Bukowski writes the introduction to Ask the Dust, and practically tells us this there.

Given that, I'd say it was fine, providing you make it your own.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I recently read the very satisfying Hexslinger series by Gemma Files. She makes no secret that the characters are inspired by the characters in the film 3:10 to Yuma. They're pretty close in description, tbh. But... 3:10 to Yuma is completely lacking gunslingers who are also (sometimes) wielders of magic, Mayan goddesses intent on getting things back on track to the old days where she ate the life out of her subjects as her due, and occasional trips to Xibalba (Mayan underworld). Also, 3:10 to Yuma is rather lacking in wonderfully described, completely unapologetic gay sex scenes sans fade-to-black.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my WIP there is a scene inspired by the dinner at Brideshead scene from Brideshead Revisited. It's my favorite scene from the book, and both on-screen renditions of the story. I think it's my favorite because it's pretty much the whole story in a nutshell. Charles Ryder is the Working Class in that scene and Lady Marchmain is the Upper Class. Charles is literally getting a seat at the table (representing his yearning to get a little piece of this world for himself) and Lady Marchmain humors him, but only in the way of the upper crust in that she pretends no actual offer to Charles of a permanent place at the table (heavens no), but she does see a use for him as regards getting her son, the Lord Sebastian Flyte into line. In Charles - working class as he may be - she sees a determination and drive lacking in her son. She'll let Charles have his fun in the grand hall and on holiday with the children, but he is only at best a tool, at worst a toy.

In my story, my fantasy analogue for Charles Ryder (Tevin) is a very different fellow. He doesn't pine for this world at all. He has no saudade for this grand table set with a bewildering array of plates, cups, knives and forks. He doesn't care about the grand house on the edge of town. He cares only for a day at sea, with his father at helm, and the horizon as his limit. What he does want is my analogue for Lord Flyte.

In Evelyn Waugh's story, Charles has a hard time separating the people of the world he is allowed to visit from the trappings of their world, trappings he envies and covets. In my story, Tevin treats the trappings and people of this world as an obstacle that must be surmounted to get to Bren (heir to the House and his lover). In my dinner scene, Tevin makes this pretty clear to the Lady of the house. She is as equally amused by his snub as Lady Marchmain was amused by Charle's longing, and from there the stories take utterly different directions.

4. Cassandra Leo

Cassandra Leo New Member

Agree with every single word. If you copy, for example, magic world of J.K.Rowling and put there mix of canon and your own characters, it's a fan fiction. If you copy J.R.R.Tolkien passages from "The Hobbit" without giving him a credit, it's plagiarism and copyright violation (note, there is a US company called The Saul Zaentz Co., that owns the worldwide exclusive rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings)

There was an amazing discussion on this topic on Quora: https://www.quora.com/Could-you-be-sued-for-writing-a-novel-that-mirrors-another-novel-as-a-homage. Besides, I recently read this article that gave me a strong basis of knowledge on this topic.

I believe you know thousands of stories were created based on works of such well-known writers like William Shakespeare, Jane Austin and H.P. Lovecraft. Check how works enter the Public Domain, if you want to stay safe.