1. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

Inspiration from the Weather

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Walking Dog, Aug 25, 2017.

I've seen writing advice denigrating the practice of beginning a story with the weather. I guess I can see why this could get old. Bram Stoker did a marvelous job describing a blizzard storm, so there are exceptions. Living in Texas, and watching Hurricane Harvey approach the Coast, I can't help but feel inspired. I think I'll commemorate Harvey by writing a short story today beginning with weather. How many of you began a story with the weather?

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to begin a story with the weather, but I too find it incredibly inspiring and sometimes have to stop myself using it in a scene, just for the sake of it.

Having said that I've seen it used like this and it never bothers me. In fact I like it as it can help set tone and atmosphere wonderfully.

David Fincher uses rain in his movies, just for the sake of it, so I don't see why it's so frowned upon when writers do the same.

3. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

My current story needs a blizzard. It's also in keeping with my setting, because Colorado Springs usually gets some kind of snow right around Halloween. It's frustrating, because when I try to write my opener, I have that advice in the back of my head: "Don't start with weather!" Bah. It's a first draft, in my case, so to hell with the advice. You can always edit it later. A good editor can tell you whether it's okay to start with the weather (no pun intended).

4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I've included weather in some of my writing, but usually if I include it it's because it's needed for plot and/or story progression. For example, in my first book, I knew I wanted Nate and Zachary's first kiss to be during a loss of electricity, so the cameras and other contestants couldn't see it. I went through a bunch of scenarios and came up with a violent thunderstorm as the cause of the power failure.

I can't say I've ever led with the weather in my writing, because for me it's too incidental a detail for me to even be aware of right off the bat.

5. Veleda

Veleda New Member

Is the weather affecting your plot? Do you characters make decisions that drive the plot forward based on weather? If so, keep it.

Nature (with a side of impending climatactic cataclysm) is a major theme for my story, so weather matters there. I try to make it relevant, but balanced, so the reader has to pay attention to know how the weather one day might reflect on the finale.

Personally I think the pendulum swung too far. We went from creating rich worlds (which includes weather) to worrying about memtioning rain. Weather can convey so much more than simple setting description. Just keep it relevant, IMHO.

Sclavus likes this.