1. Emma wells

Emma wells New Member

Inspiration real life

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Emma wells, Aug 4, 2022.

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to read my book synopsis below. It is still very much work in progress and what I am hoping for is a few words of guidance about any realistic possibility of a publisher being interested in my story

Imagine having your whole world turned upside in the blink of an eye and the person whom you know and love is accused of sexual criminality? This is a stark reality for 1000s of UK citizens, every year. These people are the unseen victims of another’s offending and be it a false allegation or wholly true, the devastation caused shatters their lives.

In December 2016 my then partner was accused of raping a women he met on “plenty of fish”. I left court on the final day having watched him being remanded into immediate custody wholly believing that they had convicted a very guilty man. It was only after I began requesting information in regards to the case in order to make an appeal that I realised how very wrong I had been. I found myself being lied about by the same corrupt officers that had been involved in "Roberts" police investigation and trial.

This book is a handbook, of sorts, for anyone who finds themselves placed in such a dark and lonely place. It will resonate with loved ones who have found themselves adapting to a new life and the challenges they will face from the moment they are made aware of the charges, up to the afterlife and what to realistically expect. It follows the whole prison journey from the perspective of the person left behind to pick up the pieces and it is no holds barred.

I have included short stories which have been afforded me throughout the years I have spent supporting those left behind. I want the reader to understand about red flags and the disgusting behaviour which finds guilty individuals rightfully convicted and harrowing tales of those who have found themselves falsely accused and wrongfully convicted.

This journey, was my journey but prison populations are becoming increasingly flooded with new sexual offenders which means that more and more completely innocent members of the public are facing this horrendous ordeal ...

Emma

2. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

I think there might be a section on the forum for query letters, but I don't know where it is sorry.

These 5 parts struck me:-

the same corrupt officers that had been involved in "Roberts" police investigation and trial. - this is real individuals, so might we need to worry about libel or other litigation? (it's against WF's rules to actually comment or advise on this however)
    plenty of fish - this is a real company. could be risky?
    This book is a handbook, of sorts - so heavy-going didactic or gripping story?
    be it a false allegation - will this be political polemic? In the UK the worm is probably in the process of turning (e.g. the cancellation of the Batgirl film yesterday) but readers maybe just want the story not the politics, even if the politics aren't actively risky (which they might be)
    It follows the whole prison journey - but what's the story? The OP seems part-way toward being a logline or 50w synopsis that might help sell it. The OP itself is part-way between being a query letter and the request for the help with the query letter.

But I think those are presentational issues and the story underneath is interesting. You often see them put extracts of true-life stories relevant to current affairs in the newspaper as a 'long read.' Others may know what the specific market is like at the moment.

Emma wells likes this.
  3. Emma wells

Emma wells New Member

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

1, I accept that I have chosen wording here that could be considered contentious. That was never my intention and I have restrained myself from using this context throughout the book.

2, “plenty of fish” is a widely used dating site which has was founded in 2003.

3, The book is intended to be a guide for the tens of thousands of loved ones who will find themselves in similar positions to my own. The gripping story is that of my own based on extraordinary lived and learned experiences. And that was f the stories I disclose learned from others horrific experiences.

4, Having spent over 6 years supporting a rapidly growing movement housing the victims of false accusations and wrongful imprisonments the book explores my opinions and those of others based on real life experience.

5, I am incredibly new to this and my inexperienced must be frustrating for some of those more seasoned writers who stumble across my post.

Any feedback is great feedback and I truly appreciate your time in doing so.

kind Regards

Emma

evild4ve likes this.