Inspiring Grammy Performance: Macklemore

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

@KaTrian, the real irony is that I listen to pop music all the time, I just don't feel like watching a show about it.

My mom only found out Macklemore was white yesterday....

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I thought Jimmy Hendrix was white until... 8 years ago.
    I was like 17, lol.

I consider shows like the grammys and the oscars to be odd.
    They should be a private event, not broadcasted, between members of that society to self-congratulated themselves on who did what or was voted this.
    Televising it is just plain weird. Kinda like sitting outside the window of a celebration of some nobles.
    Nothing to do with us, they just clap for one another.

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I don't know who Jimmy Hendrix even is......lol!

I agree with you. I spent my night watching LPs of otome games....heh.....

Because having an obsession with fictional guys is a lot less creepy than watching celebs, yeah....

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

5. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

What you need to know about Macklemore and Ryan Lewis is that they are entirely unaffiliated with the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). They have no producer, no label and no contract. The have succeeded in spite of the efforts of a multi-billion dollar machine, to convince them that the only way to succeed in music is to go into dept. The RIAA is the reason that artists can sell millions of records and still owe money.

They are a cancer on an entire branch of the arts, not just in the US, but internationally.

Whatever anyone says about Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, that is what you have to remember.

6. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    JJ_Maxx likes this.
  7. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Ah, sorry for bumping this, but I set it to tape on my DVR, and so only got to watch it yesterday. I had no problem with any of what was mentioned in the article, I just had a problem with the country song that served no purpose but be anti-religion. But I had fast-forward, so.......

8. GingerCoffee

Which song was that? Most country music with any related theme is pro God and country.

9. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I don't remember , do you have it still on DVR?

10. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Dinosaur language:).

I hadn't watched or planned to watch the Grammies before I read the article. But now I am so going to Youtube that Katie Perry performance...

11. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Lol, I'm an only child. :)

12. GingerCoffee

I never had it on DVD, I watched it on TV.

Was it female or male, county or country mixed with rap? Was it Katy Perry's "Dark Horse"? Or does someone else know which song you are likely referring to?

13. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

DVR, not DVD! :D

Female, solid country. Not Dark Horse, I actually really like that one.

I don't know, does anyone?

I don't have a good memory....:(

14. GingerCoffee

15. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I don't have time to look through them, but I'll check later!

16. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hmmm, it was a nice performance. They created a nice song with a nice purpose. It's not the best, by far, but it's decent. It definitely got over played by radio stations (especially in the town I'm from which only cycles like the same 5-10 songs >:/).

That first article is pure ignorance and hate though. I'm not going to explain it, because I'm not in the mood for writing a full damn research paper just to prove (1) that Macklemore is a talented artist, (2) everyone is entitled to their opinions regarding whether or not they like him or his music, and (3) that there is a lot of bias against him for that song, for his skin color, for him not having a record deal (which he actually turned down, last I checked).

Further, people take themselves and their opinions entirely too seriously, especially on the internet, where anonymity is granted. People don't know how to appreciate what they don't like or the the opinions of others. Regarding Rap, especially, there is this huge debate over the questions "What is rap?"and "What is Hip-Hop?" Depending on who you ask, you'll get different answers.

On the more liberal side, people will say it's poetry, it's using words in such a way to tell your story. It's a style that can be lyrically complex or lyrically simple; although, many people vary in their considerations of simplicity and complexity. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the more conservative artists and critics who say it's all about having something "real'and meaningful to say and having clever lyrics. They're right when looking at hip hop as a movement. But looking at hip hop, the genre, you have to consider rap as just a musical style in which you can (and many do) say anything.

Regarding music in general, there are a lot of older people who don't consider today's pop music to be music at all. Honestly, there is a lot of music out right now that I don't call music because it is basically stock produced on a musical conveyor belt. It lacks originality, passion, emotion, and anything that can make it personal and impacting. But it is enough to give young people something to dance to. I won't get into the debate on the morality of music right now, because all art is advanced by artists who create on the edge of cultural norms and mores. Some of the best art is produced in rejection of or blatant disregard of conventions and morals.

I don't support messages that promote drugs, violence, anger, and hatred or who's only purpose is to talk about female body parts, money, and egotism. Hip hop, in particulr, has been flooded with this "look how fly I am and the b****es I can get and the money I got" b.s. and I find it imaginatively stunted. Eminem is one of the best rappers of all time, and his music is loaded with profanity and adult content. What makes him stand out is that he's got hella good performance skills, and his songs are typically about things that matter to him. Compare that to Jay-Z, who's talented, but egotistical and creatively challenged these days. Even Beyoncé is all about "Bow down B****es, Queen B. runs the world" now.

On the other side of the talent pool are Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus. They don't write their own musics most of the time, so I can't give them that credit. They can't sing well at all, so no points there. They're popular because they've got deals and connections and can promote their music everywhere to people who want to listen. Girls like JB because "he's cute"and he was that pretty pop star boy who appealed to young girls. People like Miley because she's doing whatever the hell she wants. She isn't letting anyone get to her, but instead doing her own thing (so she says). They are cash grabs.

Music is a very subjective experience. That's the way all art is. There's yes there is technically good and technically bad, but there is also mechanically traditional and mechanically innovative. Then of course there are those guilty pleasure songs and those songs that are just fun, even though they really aren't very good. There are a lot of scales by which to judge the quality of a musical work, but at the end of the day, everyone has heir own experience.

I could go on, but I've said more than enough and far more than I intended. I'll just reiterate, I think it was a nice performance, and as long as it made people happy, that's what matters. The world needs more happiness. So what it the song is about gay rights. Morally right or not, I know it is morally wrong to discriminate or oppress any people. We should be equal to choose our values, even if it means people will choose what some of us perceive as wrong (with every justification). The point is tolerance, and love of people, not personal acceptance of behavior, choices, or biology.

THERE, now I'm done. :p Good, Lord I'm long-winded tonight.

17. GingerCoffee

I don't know about Bieber, I've never listened to more than half a line of his, the lyrics are too juvenile. But Cyrus can sing. You may not like her antics, that's understandable, but she can sing.

18. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Is that the same Ryan Lewis from American Idol that would beat box in his songs?

19. Andrae Smith

No no, I'm not referring to Cyrus' antics. I'm returning to her flat, loosely controlled voice. Girl can hold a few notes, and she's got lungs, for sure. However, she is not the most vocally talented artists I've seen. I've checked out a lot of her music and I have tried to stand by her, but I keep noticing something crucial... Other people sing her song better than she does. She's got talent, and I'm glad people enjoy her music and her voice, but comparatively, she can't hold a candle to some of the other female artists we've had (and not just the big names).

Moreover, I respectfully disagree with you there. ;)

20. GingerCoffee

So be it. :)

21. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There are actually a lot of Youtube artists who I think are better than some of our most popular artists. I've found some really good singers (and musicians) just browsing Youtube.

22. Andrae Smith

Sorry if that's me hatin' lol

23. Andrae Smith

Yes, there are a lot of talented musicians out there. I think Youtube is really going to become another serious entry point for musicians to get into the industry, or at least reach a wider audience and get noticed.

24. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

See bold. You kind of defeated your own opinion there with this in-depth post my friend :p

123456789 likes this.
  25. Andrae Smith

I know... I realized that when I was done. :rolleyes: