Instruments

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kratos, Jun 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Firefly

Firefly Member

I can't play an instrument if my life depends on it. I guess I keep putting it off. I'm kind of a procrastinator.

My brother will play any instrument he can get his hands on (literally). He's a member of like three or four internet bands and has helped other, more famous bands. I'm listening to a song that he co-wrote right now. :D
    Maybe I can get him to teach me the keyboard sometime.

2. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

I played the drums (Pearl five piece with various add-ons) for nine years and, of course, the fun little percussion toys that come with it. I also drifted into hand drums as well. But then my parents moved while I was still in school, so I ended up selling all that.

Now I'm interested in learning to play the banjo and tongue drum.

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, coincidence there. My dad plays the drums, and he really wants to learn the banjo.

4. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

Must be something about drummers/percussionists. One of my buddies played drums and years later I found out he played banjo. My cousin also wanted to learn, but he just moved onto steel drums instead.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, guess so. Funny how it works that way. :p

6. Firefly

Firefly Member

Drums are cool. My younger brother and our friends and I have a dream to start a band, while none of us have any musical talent whatsoever. :rolleyes: My brothers and I all want to get a drum kit. And an electric guitar. And an acoustic guitar. And a bass guitar. But my older brother already has like five keyboards. The MT-100 is cool. I think that would be the best instrument for me to start learning. :p

7. silverfrost

silverfrost New Member

One of my majors in college was music! My principle instrument is oboe, but I also play guitar, flute, some piano, and the vocal chords. :)

I mainly play guitar and sing when I write pop songs, but in college I played oboe in the symphony, and in high school I played flute in marching band. I miss those days.

8. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

I am a guitar player, and have been playing for nearly a year now. My first teacher, though good at guitar and a nice guy, didn't know how to teach so my first few months were pretty pointless. Just recently I have gotten a new teacher who has in less than half the time I was taught by my old teacher has taught me so much that I actually sound good and can play decently. I'm over the hump, I can play chords, scales, bend, am learning to sweep and can learn to play just about anything. In the future, the near future, I'll be even better, hell I might even join a band.

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Thought you guitar lovers might appreciate my studio so I made it my avatar...music, writing, music, writing...damn it's tough to choose! LOL

.....NaCl

10. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

:eek:

That is an impressive studio, or at least from the picture.;)

I'm just envious.:)

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I just bought a Takamine acoustic for £300 last week.
    The sound is lovely, I'm really glad I bought it.

Question to Guitar enthusiasts ... what do you think of Scalloped frets?
    I've been thinking of buying a Guitar (Possibly another Strat) and Scaloping the frets like Richard Blackmore and Yungiwe Malmsteen.

12. The Easy Listener

The Easy Listener New Member

Lets see...

I play the guitar, both electric and acoustic; Have been for two years.

I took piano lessons for 3 years, 1st through 3rd.

I took recorder lessons from 1st through 5th.

I took cello lessons from 3rd through 6th.

I took trumpet from 1st to 7th.

Oh, and I took choir from kinder through 7th as well. ;)

13. Zandiir

Zandiir New Member

Wow, a lot of guitar players here on the forums! Well, I also play guitar, heh. Mostly acoustic. I've been playing for 5 years now. I've also written my own music, and plan to continue in the near future.

Everytime I play for people, they ask me if I play at Coffee Houses, or anything like that. I currently do not, but I've been giving it more thought lately. And that might be an option for me, it would be loads of fun.

It's good to see so many people share the same music passion that I do.

-Zandiir

14. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I taught my son to play when he was young. He went on the build an alternative rock band that got signed to Velvet Hammer Records (Sony subsidiary). They made some great music, but like so many young bands, they didn't get along and destroyed a great thing. One of their fans put their entire collection on the internet for free. Here is the line if you are interested.

http://www.quitterarmy.com/

My favorite songs are Liberation Day, Hawkins (tribute to the English physicist), The Gunfighter and Mayday Transmission (there is a hidden track at the end of Mayday Transmission at 11:10 into the play...it's an awesome piano piece)

My son, Scott, is the singer and writer for all the songs. He's now a solo, acoustic artist.

15. Crim50n

Crim50n New Member

I'm a bass player and a vocalist. :)
    I've been playing for a year or so.