Intangible Girl's fanfiction: working title Mindscape

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Intangible Girl, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Intangible Girl

Intangible Girl Active Member

I finished making an outline. That's about all I did today except for a little tweaking here and there. Still, I'm hoping this allows me to see the big picture a little better. I probably should've done this before.

The main problem with that is I need to know if I can finish a novel. I've already determined I can start one just fine. Getting down principal writing is a bit exhausting, but absolutely not beyond my capabilities. The question I really need to answer now is, can I take that Nanowrimo-level mess of a first draft and turn it into something beautiful? If I don't have the staying power to stick with a novel even when I get tired or start to lose interest, the answer might be no. So I'm just forging ahead.

And I feel a little more motivated than I did yesterday. Doing the outline helped remind me of all the parts I really love about this story. I don't want to give up on it just because I had a bad day. I just need to figure out what my MO should be when I have those bad days, because I know they'll come.

marshipan likes this.
  2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Senior Member

1. You don't need that knowledge.

Writing novels is like all the other important parts of life. You are unable to do things until you have done them. Doing prepares you to learn skill you need in doing.

Do you know how to write your first SDF? (Shitty First Draft.) - No, not before you have done it.
    Do you know how to rewrite and edit and polish and...? No, not before you have done it.
    Do you know how to do structural working with your manuscript? No, not before...
    Do you know how to build worlds, characters, plots, character arches...? No, not...

Go, do what you can't! Then you learn how to do it. Then you can do it!

2. And how many ways there are to figure this out?

You can make an afterwards-outline from that mess. Then you can think, organise, rethink, redo... if you want to. Then you can jump to milder parts of rewriting and editing. Then polish.

You can do it in old way if you want to. Index cards or coloured paper & go!

3. Intangible Girl

Rewrote the first scene again. I like it much better. I think I'm beginning to learn that waning interest or lack of motivation, while sometimes simply coming from external stuff like lack of sleep or, in my case, anemia, can actually often signal that there's something about the story that isn't working and I need to reevaluate the direction I'm going. I've had the same basic opening scene in mind for almost a year, but it wasn't compelling enough to open a whole novel. It was also setting the scene way too much for fanfiction. A scene or two building the status quo before breaking it is necessary in original fiction, but I can just jump pretty much straight into the action with this. That said, the new version isn't substantially different from the old, but it feels different, there's a new, darker line of tension running through it, and I'm now more okay with messing with it if it continues not to feel right. There are also a few a lot of other scenes that don't have that sweet spot glow about them in my mind that I'm going to try to freshen up with a new perspective.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  4. Intangible Girl

Restructured chapter 6 today. Much happier with it. I was able to cut out some fluff and work on some changes to a secondary character's arc at the same time. Probably going to have less time for writing the closer we get to June- I'm doing a church girl's camp and that's taking up a lot of my time. But hopefully the rest of the summer will be more chill.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  5. Intangible Girl

577 words to fill in a hole in the middle of chapter 10. And I think that's it for the big, obvious structural stuff, except for the character arcs that changed part way through. Tomorrow I think I might take some time to make a new revision plan. Although, if I'm working from big and obvious down to small detail, the biggest, most obvious thing to fix is the fact that I gave one character's arc to another and haven't finished changing that over. After that the biggest obvious flaw is the ending, i.e. that there isn't really one, but I'm reluctant to mess with that too much before changing the rest of it, since things build on each other. That's what I'll need to figure out tomorrow.

marshipan and graveleye like this.
  6. Intangible Girl

Fixed some wonky characterization in chapter 7.

graveleye and Alan Aspie like this.
  7. Intangible Girl

Worked on chapter 19. I tried working on the initial argument between two characters back in ch 10, but I realized I needed a better handle on it so I skipped to the place where they make up. I'm still in the middle of fixing it but I probably won't have writing time until Monday.

marshipan likes this.
  8. Intangible Girl

1600 words.

I seem to be working on the ending despite not meaning to. But it needs the work. As it is, the entire third act is way too short and low stakes, so I'm working on amping it up. And today I felt mightily inspired.

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. Intangible Girl

Reordered chapters, finished up a scene from yesterday, updated the outline, wrote most of a new scene. A productive day, but I didn't quite have that creative high from yesterday. Which is fine. That sort of thing doesn't exactly show up on command. Still, it's nice when it does.

10. Intangible Girl

Wrote a bit on Thursday. Friday I wrote a ton because I got home from work and forgot I had written that morning so wrote again. Made some progress on two scenes that have been giving me some trouble. Still focusing my efforts on the third act, which is good since it's the weakest. I'm hoping I'll be able to put some muscle on those bones by the time I go to camp in June, because once I get home from that I'm back to working on The Robot Changeling regardless of where Mindscape stands.

I should probably try figuring out a better title than Mindscape.