1. Shimrit

Shimrit New Member

Location,Location, Location!!!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Shimrit, Aug 20, 2016.

Hi Everyone!

Completely new here. I actually registered because I have a question that I’m guessing you never heard before, and I just can get an answer for it back home.

So my native lounge is Hebrew, Up until now I’ve only written poetry. Now I want to start writing Romance. In Hebrew. And I've encountered a problem trying to develop my characters. You see, there is so much extra baggage to being Israeli and Jewish. I don’t want my characters to have to deal with that. I don’t want to write a novel about love in Israel. Just the basic international every person’s thing- a girl meets a guy and they fall in love. But can I locate them in nowhere land? Is it possible to build a character without locating it somewhere?

2. SweetOrbMace

SweetOrbMace Member

I don't see why not, can't think of any reason to make a big deal of someone's background (in terms of where they're from) unless it's super relevant to the plot. As for location of the action, that is potentially harder but again I would say it depends what kind of story you want to write. I think there's something quite nice, maybe even poetic, about not defining place - plenty of works across all narrative genres set in a no-time, no-place kind of thing - especially if you want to focus on the "girl meets a guy and they fall in love" thing you mention. If you keep the focus that tight I'm sure you could simply say "the city" (or wherever) to define place.

3. Shimrit

Shimrit New Member

Interesting... Thank you very much! I wonder if the no- time no- place thing would work. I like the idea. I just hope my characters wouldn't come out superficial.

4. SweetOrbMace

SweetOrbMace Member

They won't if you don't write them that way :)

What about (in no particular order) their careers, their friendships, their hobbies, their hopes, dreams, and fears for the future, their attitudes towards romance, age, financial situation, attitude toward life (outgoing, introverted, optimistic, pessimistic, etc.)... I'm sure other posters and you yourself can think of much more defining characteristics than nationality than what I've just quickly listed too.

So, I'm sure you'll do fine. Go for it.

Shimrit likes this.
  5. Shimrit

Shimrit New Member

Will do:) How many characters do you think a book needs? Is there a minimum number?

6. Scot

Scot Senior Member

If it's a romance you need at least two, be a bit narcissistic otherwise. ;)

There's no reason why your novel can't be in a fictitious place, though there has to be certain cultural elements and social norms your characters have to meet (unless it's fantasy of sci-fi).

Shimrit likes this.
  7. Shimrit

Shimrit New Member

Fantasy sounds good! I might go for a vampire:D