Internet platforms a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by MVP, Apr 20, 2012.

1. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Like anything else, a society has to learn how to deal with, and properly use new technology. From stone tools, the spear, the wheel, and right on down the line. The rate the new technology has come means we have more to get used to. You learn or perish by it.

2. Jenny Masters

Jenny Masters New Member

Writing is EASY. Selling your work is HARD. The platform will help you do that.

3. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Mmmhmm... that's why you're on here, like, nearly every day... :rolleyes:

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Yeah, I'm at a standstill with my story. I've learned that many of you are also at a crossroads. I've learned that many of you are wandering around, counting words like a body-count. I'm hearing jokes and light-hearted moments, which I need.

But consider this, the reason I'm here is that I could not find a creative writing club in my area--where I would have had this same give-and-take. Once in a while you take a joy ride. Once in a while you commiserate.

5. Jenny Masters

Jenny Masters New Member

There lies, damned lies and statistics.

Ah...but the value of data should not be underestimated.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Or overestimated. Data is no better than how it is collected in the first place.

7. marovada

marovada New Member

The platform can help you but the strategy is in issue. Through my day job I have come to understand that people don't react well to marketing. Marketing should merely be an incident of offering something of value. It's no use having a blog or Facebook page that simply asks readers to purchase your book. It has to provide value in its own right. For example, it can provide downloadable content; maybe free short stories, advice or something interactive. Minecraft wasn't sold at first - it was offered as an interactive game on a forum post.

Providing something of value that attracts potential customers but offers something in and of itself that they demand is better than a scatter gun approach of dispensing links to all ends of the internet galaxy.

Edit: one example of this is David Kazzie's article "How Amazon's KDP Select Saved My Book" because it offers valuable advice.

8. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

You finding a community on the internet is a prime example of why the internet/advancement of technology is not a detriment to society. I just had an amazing week-long discussion on facebook with an Israelite about the nature of evil. He/she had a very different opinion, but was well educated and made some compelling arguments. Without the internet, I may never in my life had a conversation with a person who has lived their whole life in Israel, and I find that to be a powerful thing. But as you said, too much of any good thing is bad, and the internet can become an addiction. Moderation is key.

Exactly. And this is what big wigs in hollywood and the music industry are afraid of. They worry about copyright infringement based off the technology of the past; it's simply not realistic in today's society. If they learn to adapt to it, they will prosper. If they shut their eyes, cover their ears, kick and scream, and demand that their old copyright laws be upheld, they will lose.

The same is true for us. If we adapt to the new technology, we will prosper. You can hold out for a while and refuse to platform, but you run the risk of getting left behind. I don't know by how much, but I'm certain your numbers will suffer if you don't platform. This doesn't mean you give up everything you know about promotion and do internet platforming, it means you add platforming to your arsenal of promotional tools.

9. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I think an online presence is important as people are becoming more technological. Even if the whole internet and media addiction thing is frightening or stupid or worrying, I think that you need to go with the times because it is very likely that the addiction will only get worse. The internet isn't going away any time soon.

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

My understanding is that for nonfiction, having a platform is practically a must; fiction, not so much. Personally, I'm not that interested in social media, but I'm a rabid reader. I don't really care what my favorite authors are up to other than when their next book is coming out (and I can get that from the publisher's website). I do follow a few agent blogs, because as a writer I want to know about things from their POV, but other writers? I get plenty of info/advice on this and other writing forums. Following an individual writer isn't that important to me. So as both a reader and a writer, I don't really care about a fiction author's online presence.

11. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I don't either, but then I don't have much respect for polling, think-tanks, the social media or technology for the sake of technology.

I can make up my own mind, I have a wallet, and ergo I can decide which books to buy and/or read. I'm more of the mind to believe, "Who guards the guards, who watches the watchers?"

12. JHockey

JHockey New Member

An internet platform could be a way for you to begin to build up your persona, and garner an understanding of what potential readers of your work like. It could be a way to meet like-minded people who can give you some advice. It could be a way, down the road, having published something, to build publicity for it. It can be a lot of things really. It need not be a waste of time, but it could become one if it distracts you too much from the core task of writing creatively about things.

13. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I actually used creative writing forums as a respite. I got to a part of the story where I needed to focus on a topic I found somewhat hard to deal with. I wanted to finish it, and I felt the scene was important enough to not just regurgitate a bland synopsis and then fix it later. I was stalled.

But I came here, talked to a bunch of folks about their work and problems, and I started to get some juice back. Lots of us are hunched over a keyboard, sometimes you just have to talk it out.

14. bmillard

bmillard New Member

This is a tricky question. I think it certainly helps to get your writing out there in any way, but it seems (to me) that to generate any money or real fanfare you must have a name already. The examples of famous writers with blogs and platforms for e-novels makes sense because they're already well-known and have a following that will pay money to access different elements of the site, etc. And sponsers are more apt to pay the author since they know the site will generate traffic. So, as an unknown author I'm not sure, personally, that web platforms are the way to go unless you're completely okay with just 'showing off' your work.

15. Jedeleh

Jedeleh New Member

Don't underestimate the purchasing power of Credit Card Toting Llamas. It's a rapidly growing market segment...

16. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Okay, I'll give you that point. However, shouldn't a writer with a publishing goal be doing everything?

For example, he/she should also be developing local face-time with area writiers and teachers. They should be somehow getting polished chapters to publishers, speaking to bookstore owners, even going to business seminars, etc.

My point is the old Japanese adage, "When your only tool is a hammer, then the entire world looks like a nail."

Perhaps it's my age, but the computer is not the be-all-end-all for information and success. And frankly, it's not the basket I even seek for all of my eggs. I'm here to find another tool, another arrow for the quiver. I'm not looking for an Ethiopian prince for money to invest.

17. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I absolutely agree with this. I think it's important to diversify. I think the OP was wondering, not if they should put all of their eggs in the internet platforming basket, but rather if they should even bother to put in some. It seems we agree it is worth it to put in some.

18. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Taken in that sense, I agree.