1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Do You Have a Writing Buddy/ies?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Cacian, Jan 5, 2012.

Someone who you could refer to for advice and proof reading/ideas as you write your stories.
    Like a writing friend/s.
    I always find it useful to chat and exchanges ideas based regarding my writing.
    One of the difficulties of writing is not to have a point of reference like a person to guide and vice versa.

2. Immy

Immy New Member

Yup. Well, kind of :) Usually, when I think I've got a great idea, I'll relay it to my boyfriend and he'll tell me if there's any problems with it and whether or not he likes it. He sometimes gives me little ideas too :) it's nice.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope... never did, never will...

4. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Yes.

There are some I talk to one on one and others I prefer to talk with in a group environment. I find talking it through helps it to become clearer in my mind.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I have two 'buddies' - we've worked together for a couple of years now, acting not only as betas for what we have written, but as sounding boards for ideas, brainstorming ideas, helping with problems, helping with research, and sometimes just a shoulder to cry on.

6. spamalope01

spamalope01 New Member

I used to. Don't anymore....we had a bit of a falling out. However I loved having them around. I would like more....it's always good to have - I've found. It always kept me on my toes about my writing...I found that sometimes I would get kind of blah about things, but having writing friends would re-energize me and sometimes help me look at things in a new way. Plus whenever we got together we always bounced ideas off of each other and that helped spark a few new stories.

7. unluckyguardsman

unluckyguardsman New Member

I have a good friend who reviews my work sometimes. We are also co-writing a novel together, which is quite fun

8. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I don't. It would be nice but I don't know anyone else who writes, and I know my husband would just tell me anything I wrote was great so he's no use :p

9. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Yes! I couldn't do without them!

I studied writing at uni, which was amazing, spent three years hanging around with writers, bouncing ideas off eachother and sound boarding new projects, absolutely loved it.

Still in regular contact with most of them, a few of them work for the same online mag I do so we're constantly reading and critiquing eachothers work, helps to keep us sharp!

Making some good writing buddies on here as well - really can't go wrong :D

10. Racktash

Racktash New Member

I have a few friends that also enjoying writing. We take the time every once and a while to write short stories and exchange - always good fun!

11. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

I met my best friend on a fanfiction site when I reviewed her story - she's dyslexic and I offered to beta her work for her. We were both students at the time and became online friends, emailing/messaging every day, talking about our writing, critiquing each other's stories, offering encouragement when we get writer's block, brainstorming and blitzing thorny plot problems. We've been best buds for 7 years now - after 3 years we met in person and I was a bridesmaid at her wedding. We still email each other at work every day (we live 100 miles apart) and she's absolutely indispensible to me as a writing buddy - when I've got a deadline to submit work to my agent SHE'S the one nagging me about it! ;)

12. Gracia Bee

Gracia Bee Member

my cousin is a writer (not published or anything though) and I usually ask her to help/read/improve my stories. The problem is that we write in totally different genres. She is more dark/end-of-the-world/war person whereas I like a bit more happier subjects. So her ideas are usually not for my genre. Plus I don't see her very often and we are usually pretty lazy with email and all. Kallithrix, you are very lucky to have a person like that. She is definitely a needle in a haystack :D

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

how do you actually do that..it sounds quite fun.