1. Cloukora

Cloukora New Member

Header Formatting

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Cloukora, Oct 30, 2013.

I think this is the right section. I'm having a little trouble with designing my headers. I'm using MS Word to write my book, and I want to have the chapter name appear on each odd page. It's fine with the chapters by themselves (I have each chapter as a separate file), but the issue is when I bring them all together to create a whole file. If I use Word, then the wrong chapter name is going to appear for each chapter (i.e. the first chapter name will appear in the second chapter). I just for the life of me cannot format them correctly. Any tips or tutorials I can use?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't think i've ever seen a book with chapter titles in the header, instead of the book title... why do you think you need to do that?

3. Cloukora

Cloukora New Member

I've seen a couple, such as Wheel of Time and The Dark Is Rising Sequence. I just feel like it would add a bit more to the headings.

4. tupbup

tupbup Member

What version of word are you using? On the new 2010 one I can get it to work. I used Page Layout to insert a "Section Break" on a new page don't just CTRL + Enter this won't work. Then I inserted Header and unchecked the option marked "Link to previous". After that when I changed the header for section (or chapter) two the header for section one didn't automatically change.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/headers-and-footers-from-basic-to-elaborate-RZ001021662.aspx?section=21

The above address has your starting info for this then I had to consult 'Help' and then just guess my way until I got it to change.

If you have a different version of word try googling whichever version it is and then "different headers for each chapter" and see if that sheds any light on your predicament.

5. Cloukora

Cloukora New Member

YES! Thank you! When I tried googling for help, I got a few tutorials that mentioned breaks and stuff, but they went into more detail than I think they needed to and it just confused me. That link really helped, thank you. Now I'm one step closer to publishing my book :D

6. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

I'm assuming you're printing reader copies, because for a publisher you have the author's name centered and a page number at the right. They want no facing pages.

To get what you wanted:

1. Go to the Document settings (it may be under files or formatting. It changes by version and Mac/PC) and check the box for "mirror margins."
    2. Above that box set your margins for inside/outside and allow room at the inside for the binding. I have a thermal binder and find that I can get a good reader's copy with an inside margin of 1.2"

This works for me:

Top = .7 Bottom = .5 (I have no footer) Inside = 1.2 Outside = .6 I set the header to .4 and the footer to zero.

Hope this helps