1. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

What religion is everyone here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Freshmaker, Oct 20, 2006.

I was just curious as to what religions are represented on this board. I'm guessing it's predominantly Christian, but I could be wrong.

I myself am atheist, though I respect religious people. Often, I will take a religious side during a debate. The only religious people I really dislike are the ones who take it to unnecessary levels. Like the Phelpses and their church.

So, yeah. Just curious.

2. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

I am Catholic.

3. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Well I am a non practicing Jew.

4. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Non-practicing agnostic LOL

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm a Christian. However, I preffer not to think of it as a "religion" but as a "relationship".

6. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

Oh I like that. Very nice. :)

7. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

OK so I pulled a Peter....

Basically I consider myself christian..but I tend to not discuss that in groups because somehow religion always seems to start fights..

I love spiders explanation..thats perfect :)

8. Brazen

Brazen New Member

I'm Catholic.

And just like somebody else who posted above me, I like to stay out of religious debates. Much more pleasant that way. 'Sides, I like the main principals of every religion. I think you could learn a thing or two on morals from everything. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddahism, etc. (But when I say that, I'm excluding the arrogant principals like repent for the priest and donate a lot of money to the church or else you're going to hell and all that stuff.)

Meh.

9. Felony

Felony New Member

I'm an aetheist

10. Peter

Peter New Member

I'm Atheist, and have been since I was a kid, when one night I woke up after a nightmare and realised that one day I would die.

"Life has no meaning the moment you loose the illusion of being eternal." - J.P. Satre

That quote is pretty much how I try to live my life: living for today and not looking for answers from religion.

11. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Im Lutherin.

I used to be an aethiest but then I started believing. Lutherin is similar to Catholic but not as Zealous (power hungry....)
    NO OFFENSE TO ANY CATHOLICS

12. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

I'm a Left Agnosic

13. Felony

Felony New Member

What's that?

14. Felony

Felony New Member

Quite true..quite true. I say "why believe in something you cannot see or even prove is there?" No 1 god person thingy controls the fate of your life..cuz it's in your own hands...but I'm not against any religion what so ever..well unless there is a religon that has brought this war upon us.

15. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

The fight usually depends on how religious the other people are in the group. I personally believe that one's believes are their own and it's not my place nor my right to judge those beliefs.

16. AllenC

AllenC New Member

I’m Christian (Presbyterian).
    Personally I stopped debating religion a long time ago. Is a futile effort to win converts.

17. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Felony asked what a left agnostic is. I've talked a little bit about this in another thread.

But I don't delve too much into it.

the dictionary defines Agnosticism as: a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable.

And I personally believe that most people are Agnostics and don't even know it.

The fact of the matter is, most people agree that you can't out-and-out prove god, but you'd also have to be a fool to say you can disprove him.

I don't believe in God, but I despise most Atheists I've talked to in the past... primarily becuase most of them think that God doesn't exist and that's supposed to be a cut-and-dry fact in their Dogma. So in essance, they're usually every bit as low, if not lower, than Religious folk.

I think Atheism is much like a Religion... only they don't do missionary work or spread their beliefs. (the ones I've met) tend to go out and say that their beleifs are every bit as valid as everyone else's while they pretty much find every excuse they can to mock other religions... even tear them down. So they're somewhat an Anti-religion Religion... an oxymoron...

So I didn't want to be labeled as an Atheist.

Most people think an Agnostic person is "someone that's confused and doesn't know if god exists" but it's actually "a person that doesn't think God is provable or disprovable".

I don't believe in God, but I can't prove what I believe, so I suppose I could be wrong.

Either way, sinse it's not provable, everyone lives a life based on equal faith as the Atheist, Agnostic, or the Religious Priest... Faith being: belief that is not based on proof.

The term LEFT is what I derrived and coined from the American Political parties. The "Left Wing" is sterio-typed as the party of anti-god and the "Right-wing" is sterio-typed as the God party.

Now... I consider myself a Conservative Republican -- but, I don't believe in God -- but the description still holds true.

So... "Left" meaning: a none believer in god "agnostic" meaning: A persont that can't prove or disprove their beleif because God is not provable and is not disprovable... and as much as all things denote that there is a god, all things equally denote that there is no God.

Hence, I'm a Left Agnostic... while I'd say a good 55% of the world is, unknowingly, the humble Right Agnostic.

18. Raven

Raven Banned

I guess yoi could say I am Atheist.
    But then again, I don't believe in the religious Mumbo Jumbo so I am Atheist.

~Raven.

19. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I used to consider myself agnostic, but that changed about a year ago when I had a religious (or I guess non-religious) epiphany. I won't go into it right now.

I find it odd that a lot of people here say they don't like religious debates. Of all people, I know better than most that God can't be proven or disproven. Even so, I always find those types of discussions to be stimulating. They can also show a person's true character.

20. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I love a good debate as well..the problem is there is always someone who gets dirty and cant handle debating without getting personal.

You wanna debate religion? Id be happy to..its just that not a lot of people can handle it and I find it ends up with "bans" being put in place and that just sucks heh

21. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

I agree totally.

I love to discuss my beliefs with religious people specifically because I hone down a way to describe what I beleive and sometimes they give me an interesting look into what they beleive that I never considered -- but it's not going to stop either of us from believing what we currently beleive.

The only reason why someone gets up and starts to fight dirty is because they think you're trying to convert them or saying that their religion or their beliefs are stupid... and that's usually because that's what they think of YOUR beliefs... lol.

Yeah -- sometimes I hate religious discussions because of that. But when I'm with a level headed person and we're fighting to stay civil and discuss logical reasoning for our beliefs, I think that's cool.

22. M.Kirk

M.Kirk New Member

Atheist.

I just can't bring myself to believe that there is some "superior being" that created all of us.

Also, what I can never understand about devout believers, is that the idea that us coming out of nothing is an abomination, yet they can't explain how God came to exist. Their response to this is, "We are not meant to know"

So basically, anything religiously unexplainable can be countered with that one phrase, "We are not meant to know."

23. Felony

Felony New Member

Over the years all religion has done has brought war upon us and I have no desire to be a part of any religous stuff.

24. Lashes5000

Lashes5000 New Member

Christian (Roman Catholic)

25. Raven

Raven Banned

That is too true.
    Religion causes wars.

~Raven.