1. luke_mushu_2010

luke_mushu_2010 New Member

The Golden Compass Controversy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by luke_mushu_2010, Nov 25, 2007.

So what does everyone think about the religious controversy over the movie The Golden Compass? Any religious people have an opinion?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yes. I think that Northern Lights is a better name :p

On a serious note, I don't think it's a problem really. I can see where some of the hardline christians might have a problem, but personally I think it's a good story, well written, and I hope the movie will be as good. It's good to see Daniel Craig in a lead role, showing it hasn't been completely Americanised. I don't think it's any more offensive than Harry Potter or the Da Vinci Code (much less than the Da Vinci Code, in fact, because that was a really badly written book...).

3. lessa

lessa New Member

I am on part 2 of the book.
    To be honest it is the first book that has held my interest in quite a while.
    I am enjoying it. I can't figure out the good guys or the bad guys so I keep reading just so I will eventually get it straight.
    I am far from religious but even when I went to church I don't think this would have been taken away from me.
    It so far has been a great story.

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I have neither read it nor watched it... I've had the book on my shelf for around 4 years... and I still haven't gotten around to reading...

5. luke_mushu_2010

I'm a Christian, but not one of those "shove Jesus down your throat" Christians. I don't really like the fact that this movie is aimed for children audiences. It would be different if it were a movie for adults, because most adults don't try to copy things they watch in movies. On the other hand, children usually try to imitate things they see on television or on movies. That was just my opinion.

6. Banzai

But equally, I don't think kids will read so deeply into it.

7. Cicero

Cicero Banned

If there is any controversy over The Golden Compass, there should also be controversy over Narnia, the Bible, the Origin of Species, and any other work ever published by humans. No text, no matter how subtle and concealed it may be, is completely free of bias.

8. Banzai

Too true, Cicero.

9. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I knew this would happen. From the minute I heard that they were making this book into a movie, I knew that the Christian right would make a fuss over it.

I've been a huge fan of the books since I was a kid. And really, I'm scared I'm going to be disappointed in the movie. But I want to see it anyway. (And Banzai, I think we had this argument before. The Golden Compass is more consistent with the titles of the other two books, each of them referring to an important artifact in the story).

It's true, Pullman is an atheist, and that really comes through in his books. However, the director for this movie has put in an effort to make it as religiously ambiguous as possible, so I don't know what the fuss is about. If kids are at the age where they would be that impressionable from a movie, then they probably aren't old enough to read the books.

Furthermore, the story is fantasy. It has talking armored bears and witches that fly on brooms. And people are honestly afraid of this? If you have to be up-in-arms about something, protest something that matters. There's plenty of things. The war, gay marriage, illegal wire tapping by the government, the war, abortion, reality TV, the war, health care, the decline of the public education system, and of course the war. A fantasy novel/movie is really the worst of our worries. And all this is going to do is bring more publicity to the movie anyway.

10. Banzai

Screw the Christian right! I'm the Christian left! (And a sociopath- I really am a walking contradiction :p)

Entirely possible that we have- my memory isn't brilliant when it comes to that sort of thing. I see what you mean, but I feel that Northern Lights as a title was more exciting, less childish and patronising, and of closer philosophical importance to the book itself. Plus, it seems to me to make light of an item which is complex and central to the plot- and is more than just a golden compass. Or perhaps I'm just being too anal... I don't know. I'll go watch it anyway, no matter the title. I guess I'm just picking a fight really :p Same as with the first Harry Potter book's title change.

11. The Freshmaker

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you made a comment about it when I initially posted a thread about the release of the movie.

I can understand where you're coming from, though. However, a rose by any other name, right?

12. Banzai

Yeah, it's a pointless argument, which most likely exists only because I'm tired and argumentative :)

13. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I thought this looked familiar. I don't think I've read the books at all. But hey, I'm willing to watch it. I'll eventually see it in the video store and go ahhhhh; that's what the guys in the Forum were talking about. I might get it!

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's not biased if it is in agreement with THE RIGHT beliefs! ;)

15. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

*Crowd murmurs furiously*

16. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I don't get it... I read the books a long time agao, and I don't remember seeing something that ought to spark religious controversy... Maybe my memory is just bad from me being so old...

17. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm a buddist.
    And to be frank... I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    I just see it as a good story.

18. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I absolutely agree with this. People are willing to argue about things like this, which to be perfectly honest seem trivial to me, but then they don't take a stance when it comes to the more important issues.

I honestly think people are being stupid in arguing that this book or film will incite any sort of problem. Yes, I haven't read it. But if you're going to argue that then you may as well remove most films, books, videogames etc from our shelves.

19. Cogito

Any book centered around magic currently raises the hackles of conservative Christians, among others. People, it is fiction!

20. luke_mushu_2010

In the last book of the series, the two children kill God so they can do what they want.

21. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    But it wasn't actually God that was killed. It was simply the figurehead of the Multidimensional church.
    The books are very anti-organized religion. But they didn't actually say that there was no supreme being, just that the ones pulling the strings were a bunch of bastards.

22. lessa

lessa New Member

Cat among the pigeons here.
    I have never heard of the books until last week. They were in the house but I had never picked them up except to put them away.
    Now the movie is coming out and the controversy is really going strong.
    It got me thinking that the movie makers may have started something to get people interested in the subject and boost their ratings and therefore their profits.

Or maybe they didn't go after the books because they figure nobody reads much any more anyway.

23. The Freshmaker

Did you read the books?

24. Cogito

Love the new avi :D

25. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Although I have not read the book, seen the movie, or know details, I will not attempt to have an opinion on the plotline itself.

However, I do have an opinion about all the controversy.

(Side note: What I do know is that it happens to be anti-God, or anti-Christian, in some way and, correct me if I'm wrong, for I'm not entirely sure of this, that the characters 'kill' God in the story. If I am wrong, please inform me on the matter. I honestly would like to know.)

By the way: I am a Catholic, and the theme of 'killing God' would upset me.

However, I feel that the 'boycotting' against the book and movie is just silly. Anyone with half a brain knows that drawing attention to the 'bad' things about the story will only make more people want to learn about it. It has for me; I plan on reading the book soon, just so I can have an educated opinion about the whole thing, regardless of the plot.

Plus, the majority of the people who are saying that this book should not be read, that this movie should not be viewed, probably don't know much about the story in the first place, except that it is anti-Christianity book. Don't make judgements about something you know nothing about.

Furthermore, I feel that the whole 'banning' is just ridiculous. It infuritates me because I believe very strongly in the freedom of speech. I dont know how it works for those of you who aren't American, but in America we (are supposed)have the right to say what we want, read what we want, and see what we want without fear. To ban this book, that is proof that what this country stands for is malleable, and that would indeed upset me. (Note: I'd probably leave the country. That is not acceptable.) And what would happen after banning? Burning? Hello, Farenheit 451, anybody?

You have the right to believe what you want. So does everybody else, including the author, cinematographers, and actors associated with this story. You dont have to like it, but you better accept it.

There is a line between fiction and nonfiction. This book is fiction. If you have a problem with it, fine. Don't associate yourself with it. Leave it well alone.

(Personally, I have a suspicion that this author is looking for a little controversy. I read an interview with him, and he just seemed to want to start something. Adding to this publicity does nothing more than put money in his pocket, which is probably, ultimately, what he wants. By adding to this fire, you are just helping him along.)

Alright. Rant over. :p It just really infuriates me when people dont have any evidence to back their opinions up. My boyfriend and I are actually talking about this; we're in quite a debate. He believes that it should be banned (He too, is a strong Catholic.), and I, as you well know by now, couldn't disagree more. And honestly, he doesn't have any evidence to back it up, either.