1. tandem1

tandem1 New Member

Introducing myself

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tandem1, Jun 21, 2020.

Hi there! I am tandem1 and I am really looking forward to getting to know you. My aim of participating in this forum is to improve my English skills and get to know more about English literature. So please don’t be too strict with me if I do grammatical or orthographic errors. :) I hope I can improve my skills fast and get in touch with you all. I am a great fan of reading novels especially detective stories, such as those by Agatha Christie – the queen of crime, that you all might know pretty well, I guess? :) Furthermore I really like to write, but especially in English I still need some training, but in my mother tongue, German, I have got already some experience in writing. :) I can’t wait to learn new things and read some interesting stories here! Pleasure to meeting you.

Larro, Xoic and Steve Rivers like this.
  2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Senior Member

Hello! Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your time here.

3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Senior Member

So many Germans joining up since lockdown began, or maybe it's just my imagination. It's amazing to see so many non-english speakers joining the forums recently. So welcome Tandem. :)

Just remember - Der Esel nennt sich immer zuerst! :D
    (a phrase my editor taught me. God you deutschlanders have some great imagery in your phrases. Although i thought that one was more appropriate than the one about the sausage having two ends to it heh) :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi tandem 1 :)

I’m one of the forum moderators, and I want to welcome you to the forum. So interesting that you like Agatha Christie mysteries! I have read them all ...but back in my youth, when I was growing up in Michigan. She was a very popular author, and our family devoured her books. I have to say, however, it wasn't the mystery that attracted me to her books; I was attracted to her settings and local colour. England seemed to be such an exotic place! Who knew I'd end my life as a UK citizen, living in Scotland. I think my love of Britain got a start with Agatha Christie, though. What is it about her stories that attracts you? I suppose if you're interested in detective stories, it probably WAS the mystery aspect of her writing. Do you have any other favourite authors?

Anyway....

In order to help you get oriented and get settled, here are a couple of links I strongly recommend that you read at the start, if you haven’t already. They will give you a good idea of how we operate here on the forum:

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

You will notice in the New Member Quick Start that in order to post your work in the Workshop area—the only area of the forum where you are allowed to post your work and ask for feedback—you will need to do at least two critiques for other people, in exchange for receiving feedback on one of your own pieces of work.

This site is designed around the concept of members helping each other out by ‘paying it forward’—through our two-for-one critique system. So do two critiques, THEN you can post something of your own. This advance 2:1 ratio lasts as long as your membership here—although it is your own responsibility to keep track of your own ratio. The software doesn't keep track of it for you, beyond your first two critiques.

In order to help you get started doing critiques, here is a link to a good article written by one of our former moderators: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

One of the popular areas of our forum is our contest section. There is a monthly contest running for Short Stories, Flash Fiction and Poetry. You can enter these ongoing contests, even as a new member. And we really encourage you to visit the site, read the current entries, and vote for your favourite when the voting period starts. This means a lot to the people who have written these entries. And it will also give you a good idea of what our members are capable of writing.
    https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

While the Role Playing Game section is not new, it’s being given a revamp. So if you are interested in playing and writing Role Playing Games, you might want to visit this section and get in on the fun. https://www.writingforums.org/threads/resurrecting-the-dead-rpg-section-rebuild.165055/

I hope you have fun getting to know us and let us get to know you, via the posts you make. Please feel free to explore the forum. There is a lot under the hood. This site map might help you find your way around more quickly than the menu bars do, so feel free to use it. https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any difficulties, don’t hesitate to contact me or one of the other moderators, whose names appear in yellow at the bottom of the Community page. We will be glad to help.

Again, welcome!

Cheers for now,
    Jan

5. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse!

I can't say that German was ever my mother tongue, or even a proper second language, but I hung out with both native Germans and German immigrants and picked up what you might call "Strassedeutsch" ... a pidgin that we could all understand. (It was quite an experience to hear German spoken with an Italian accent.) I've forgotten most of it now, and am curious to see how much German would come back if I were ever able to visit the place.

I lived in Ginnheim, a suburb of Frankfurt am Main. People tell me that Frankfurt now goes by the name "Manhattan on the Main" and that I wouldn't recognize the skyline at all.

6. tandem1

tandem1 New Member

Hello everybody, thank you very much for the nice greetings! I am glad to hear that you welcome me so warmly to your community.

SteveRivers, I’m surprised to hear that many Germans are joining this forum since lockdown began. :) But actually I’m not surprised that people use their new “free” time and get things done they wanted to do for such a long time: writing! :)
    hehe the two ends of a sausage is classic! :)

jennert, great to hear that you are a fan of Agatha Christie as well! :) I enjoy reading her stories, because you can also feel like a little detective and search for some clues and try to find out who the murderer is…that’s what makes me continue reading and reading and reading and I just can’t stop until the murderer is convicted :D Do you have one special novel that you like the most that was written by her? :)

Steve Rivers likes this.
  7. tandem1

tandem1 New Member

And other favourite authors…well there are a few but these are mostly German speaking authors. For example I really like Robert Menasse, it is an contemporary Austrian writer and I really like his style of writing. And he also writes a lot about politics in general, so it’s easy to get a lot of general knowledge from his novels as well. :) And thank you so much for the links! :)

JLT, so nice that you speak a bit of German! :) I’ve never been to Frankfurt. Is it worth to visit? Do you miss it? :) By the way: I’m here to improve my English skills. So feel free to correct me if I commit any serious mistakes or if you don’t understand what I want to say. :)

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome! I mostly don't understand what I want to say, so you'll be fine. :)
    Don't be shy, and we won't be shy. ;)

Write without fear! :p

tandem1 likes this.
  9. Xoic

Xoic Senior Member

I didn't see any mistakes at all in your English, and can easily understand it. It's written a bit formally, if there's one thing I'd say you should work on it's that. Maybe more contractions, and try to remove 'that' sometimes (but I think it has to be removed in the right places, it'll take some experience before you know where to do that I guess).

Do you also speak English (as well as writing it?) And if so, do you speak it frequently and live in an area where there are native English speakers? Of course that would be the best way to learn a language, but watching American or British TV and movies would be nearly as good I think. But be careful of those Brits, they do talk funny! And of course reading in English as well. And writing, such as on a forum. :whistle: :bigcool:

tandem1 likes this.
  10. Larro

Larro New Member

Another Agatha Christie fan here :) What part of Germany are you from (if you don't mind me asking)? I lived in Neuwied for a while and then Berlin. I loved living in Germany. Miss it so much!

tandem1 likes this.
  11. tandem1

tandem1 New Member

Hi guys, thanks so much for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that my English is quite okay. :)

Xoic, ok, I’ll work on that. :D I’m used to write more formally because that’s how we learn English at school. And unfortunately, I don’t speak a lot of English at home…usually only when I travel to other countries.

Larro, wow, so many people who lived already abroad! :) Why did you go back to the UK? I live in Vienna, Austria, right now. It’s also a lovely city!

Larro likes this.
  12. Larro

Larro New Member

"Larro, wow, so many people who lived already abroad! :) Why did you go back to the UK? I live in Vienna, Austria, right now. It’s also a lovely city!"

It is. I love Vienna! I used to take train trips at the weekends and Austria was a favourite destination. Good old Deutsche Bahn!

Why did I leave... Two reasons:

1. I was doing ballet in my apartment (as you do) and seriously injured my ankle. I was on crutches and doing my job became much more difficult. I was teaching English in difficult Kindergartens around Berlin, so lots of physical activity involved and lots of travelling around so it was a bit of a nightmare. My insurance company weren't going to cover the medical bills and I also didn't qualify for sick pay. At that point I just wanted to leave.

2. My (then) boyfriend came to Berlin and asked me to marry him so all I wanted to do was go home and get married. So I did, and we did :) That was over 11 years ago. We have visited Germany since as I have an Aunt and Uncle who lived in Tawern near Trier.

I doubt we will ever leave NI, which makes me feel a bit sad and I miss the days of feeling free and being able to go anywhere, but I suppose I ought to try to 'bloom where I'm planted' and all that! :D

tandem1 likes this.
  13. Larro

Larro New Member

Haha, that was meant to say 'different' Kindergartens, not 'difficult'.

Freudian slip...?

14. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Well, it's got an exceptional zoo, if you like that sort of thing (I did, as a child.)

https://www.zoo-frankfurt.de/

Also the Senckenberg Museum of Natural History is a wonderful place to get lost in:

https://museumfrankfurt.senckenberg.de/de/

And then there's the Palmengarten, or Botanical Gardens, for those who love gardening and exotic plants.

https://www.palmengarten.de/#/de_DE/index/index

There are a bunch of the regular tourist attractions: the house that Goethe was born in, a few medieval towers, a bustling business district with shopping opportunities galore if you've got money you don't need, a Gothic cathedral that mostly survived World War II. But the three locations I mentioned above are the ones I have really fond memories of.

Speaking of World War II, something I'm not so fond of remembering was the time I spent playing in the ruins of buildings. Even they they were mostly vacant lots by the time I arrived in 1957, my parents would caution me that there were probably still unexploded bombs in there.

As for missing it, I'm reminded of Gertrude Stein's comment on her native city of Oakland, Californa: "There's no there there." She didn't mean that there wasn't anything worth seeing or experiencing; instead, she was saying that many of the things that formed her view of the city were no longer around. That's kind of how I feel about Ginnheim and Frankfurt, and how I might see them if I should ever return. My brother went back about ten years ago and told me that Ginnheimer Waldchen was almost completely gone, and that there's a Hilton Hotel now where the Stadtbad Mitte (the municipal swimming pool, for those who don't speak German) used to be. You could have an afternoon of fun for one Mark: 20 pfennigs for the streetcar downtown, 50 pfennigs for an hour of swimming at the pool, 1o pfennigs for a soft pretzel at the kiosk at the pool, and the last 20 pfennigs for the streetcar hom. One Mark, by the way, was worth about 25 cents, but that was a lot of money for a twelve-year-old boy in 1960.

No worries. English is a most confounding language, full of irregular verbs, weird spelling, and various meanings for the same word. Add to that the fact that American English is not British English, which is not Australian English, which is not South African English ... well, you get the idea.