1. off

off Banned

Currently Reading::
    Obstructed by Lightning; Unsalted Boundaries; And: The Separation of Nouns, verbs and Adjectives in Prehistoric Languages

Who am I and why am I here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by off, Dec 28, 2022.

Hello. Born in 1954, that is, 68 years ago. I write when the fancy strikes me. I can't read. Can't read lengthier texts. It first started with novels, and the last one I read end-to-end was "Fatelessness" by Imre Kertesz. That was about 20 years ago, can't remember. After that it was difficult to get through lengthier magazine articles. Now if I find a FaceBook entry that is several paragraphs long, I skim it, not read it.

My writing habits parallel this disability. I used to write longer short stories, novellas. Then three-page long ones, then down to microfiction. Currently I am lucky if I have enough attention span to write a short poem.

Poems, I keep telling people, is the easiest genre to write. Good poems, however, are the hardest. I've been told I have a knack for writing, a talent; but that was for prose. Now that I am reduced to writing poetry, I am not sure if I am good enough in that genre.

This site may be the telling for me.

My prose used to be 20 percent serious, 80 percent funny. I can't write jokes in poetry; they sound unnatural. It's a bit reminiscent of how humour can't be expressed in music and it's never found in religious texts. As if the human mind categorized genres for what they are appropriate. I am not even sure if it's genetically imbedded in our minds or if it's a socially learned behaviour.

I live in Canada, so I use Canadian spelling. Which is halfway between the British and the American. To me, a police force or a nationality or a sports team is singular, not plural. The police is looking for the culprit, not are looking for a culprit; Manchester United is going to win, not are going to win.

2. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Louanne Learning and off like this.
  3. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome from another Canadian. Looking forward to seeing you in the forum.

off likes this.
  4. off

off Banned

Currently Reading::
    Obstructed by Lightning; Unsalted Boundaries; And: The Separation of Nouns, verbs and Adjectives in Prehistoric Languages
    Thank you, Not the Territory and Louanne Learning. I am a bit belated with this acknowledgment of your good will, because I got swept up reading entries in forums. Very kind of both of you to welcome me, and your patriotic embrace makes me feel at home.

I noticed that the quality of writing here is very high. I recently joined two online groups of mutual gentle but meaningful critiquing of works. They are also head-and-shoulders above the one I had been attending (and continuing to attend).

In this forum I hope to continue the joyful journey of exchange of ideas and works, and honing my sometimes wobbly style.